Foot pain

ShinerSynapse

Jan 25, 2016
Newbie here.....

Everything is new so I know there is a break in period, but....is foot pain normal after a 10 mile ride? My shoes fit nice and are comfortable, but the outside of my right foot right where it contacts the pedal.....lots of pain toward end of the ride. I suppose I need to toughen my feet. What say you?

Probably just from pedaling over and over. You did take a long ride, so that's normal. Maybe try to reposition it next time?

My left foot has some pain now and then after longer rides and I have come to the conclusion its the cleat positioning and I will need to get them checked out and positioned correctly

That's not very normal. Maybe it was a one time thing, but make sure you're in a good position while on the bike. Try to keep your feet position perfect.

You're on the right track; also check into a footbed like from Specialized Body Geometry SL, the bike shop can take an impression of your foot and then get you the right footbed for you. You might find the combination of the cleat position and the footbed, especially after long rides, to be the right combination.

I moved the cleats all the way forward and it made a world of difference. Also since I am new to cycling I know there will be some growing pains as I venture down this road.

I think any pain in the foot experienced from riding is all about the shoes or the position or maybe the pedal itself. A new bike would always give me sore feet after riding for an hour (not continuous though) so I always bear in mind the word break-in. It is not good to join a long ride with a new bike or just even a new set of pedals. Likewise, new shoes may bring you unrecognizable pain in the feet. But barring all other elements like the pedal and the shoes, it might just be the position of your foot on the pedal.

Hey, foot pain after a long ride can be common, but it's not something to ignore. It might not be about toughening up your feet. Could be your pedaling technique or shoe fit. Have you tried adjusting your saddle height or cleat position? Or maybe your shoes are compressing a nerve. Don't push through the pain, it could lead to injury. Do some research, check out some online resources, or consider getting a bike fit. Keep riding, but take care of your feet. :)