Foot Pressure

604Yarks

Mar 16, 2013
HI All,

New poster here.
Recently picked up a Cannondale CAAD 10 and have been working to put some km's on it :)

I've noticed lately that I seem to be putting a disproportionate amount of pressure on the outside of my feet when pedaling, rather than an even distribution across my shoe. (Using bontrager RL Road shoes, with LOOK Keo 2Max pedals).
I suspect it might be cleat setup, or perhaps a natural tendency that I'm only discovering with this road bike setup)

Any suggestions on how to address this?
If I shift the cleat to the outside, will it help my foot tilt in, and thus perhaps even-out?
Vice versa?
Suggestions appreciated!

Yarks

You might need shims, but I would just try dialing in you cleats a bit first. Perhaps just a little fore-to-aft tweaking?

Maybe look at your saddle height. Too high can cause hot spots and pressure points to be accentuated.

There are gauges to measure foot flatness/angularity...no clue how well they work, but if the problem persists it might be worth a shot.

http://www.bikefit.com/p-28-forefoot-measuring-device.aspx

Then, there's always a trip to a fitting seesion.

Reactions: 604Yarks
Cleat position and seat position (height and setback) are two very likely culprits. Since I got my cleats dialed in, I've had no problems at all with hot spots or other foot discomfort, even on rides of 6 hours plus.

Here's a suggestion. Once you have your cleats dialed in, take a yellow Sharpie (or another color that will show against the black sole) and draw an outline around your cleats on the sole of your shoes. When you replace the cleat (and you will eventually) you'll have your optimum position there like a map. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Reactions: 604Yarks
Thanks all!

My LBS has offered to help with fit as I get used to the new bike. (they did an initial set-up with me, but nothing too involved).
There's a local "pro-shop" that does fittings as well, to the tune of $200 a session or so...but that may be an eventual destination as well.

Adding to my original note, I did a 20km ride yesterday afternoon and noticed that in addition to the pressure point on the foot, my knees seem to wander out laterally at the top of the stroke, not consistently, but it's happening. I'm sure this is reducing power, and likely a factor in the foot issue.
Not sure if it's a muscle/stability issue, or again part of fit.

That could be due to the amount of float in your pedals/cleats. How far can you move your foot to either side without unclipping? I've always ridden Shimano SPD-SL pedals in clipless, so I don't know how much float Looks have. I started out with cleats with 6 degrees of float. I switched to no-float cleats and my knees don't wander anywhere. Some riders need the float, some don't.

Note that sub-optimal knee tracking such as you describe can also be an indication that wedge is needed in the shoe, i.e. that you either have some varus or valgus tilt in your foot. For that matter, it can be something that can't be completely resolved. As with most things in cycling, it depends.

Fair point!

When I raced MTB with SPD's my knees tracked straight from what I remember, so I'm somewhat optimistic that I can tweak this with setup adjustments.

Once again go to a good bike fitter as you playing round and getting all this feed back is only going to drive you crazy And you will end up with more problems...