Foot problem

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
I just installed Shimano PD-M520 pedals on my bike, and got Specialized Sonoma shoes. Very comfortable (at first). But after abound 6 or 8 miles, my toes start tingling and loose circulation, and then the balls of my feet start to hurt real bad. I thought it was because I made the straps to tight, but don't know if having more play inside the shoe is good looses power. Any info would be great.

-Greg

Gman, I have Shimano pedals and Shimano shoes. I just tighten the straps on my shoes to the same comfort level any of the shoes I normally walk in.

Getting that kind of discomfort that early in your ride tells me something is very wrong. Yes, it could be your shoes aren't the right size for you or you are cinching them too tight.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about power right now, I'd focus on being able to ride comfortably for 2 hours. Get that part right and then you can really start pushing yourself for power/speed. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like the shoes are too small and/or narrow.

Do you have wide feet? Specialized shoes have a wide toe box. Try a few different brands/sizes.

Thank you.
A little update... I just did a quick 25 miler yesterday (1st time with another rider who lead). This time I kept the straps looser, and again after 8 miles or so, the same problems occured (tingling numbness, ball pain). Only this time I didn't pay as much attention because the ride was way more intense. When I got off, it was like I slept wrong or something. So the shoes are big/wide enough for sure.
I just don't know :confused::(

P.S. I should mention that I had the same problem when I had regular sneakers w/ toe clips, before I got my shoes/pedals. Maybe the position of the pedal under my foot? No way to adjust that on the Shimanos I got...

Thanks again,
-Greg

Everybody thinks they are a "racer" out there and they must ride gangbusters at all times.

You're probably pushing too hard on the pedals without ever giving your feet a break from the pressure. Keep doing that, and you're in for some overuse injury down there. Some of the pains you can get in the ball of your feet can take a long, long time to go away once you have them.

Why are you concerned with power? Been watching Home Improvement reruns too much?Just ride the bike. With the problem you're having, you should probably think more about endurance. Think finesse and suppleness rather than "power".

Your absolutely right about that. I didn't mean to sound like I worry about power, just don't want to be so loose in my shoes that I end up pedaling strange or uncomfortable. I'm not trying to race, and only push myself a little once in a while. I ride mostly around a 16-18 mph average pace, and very rarely sprint. Also take short 4-10 second pauses between pedaling here and there.

Greg, your shoes could still be the culprit, even though you loosened the straps a bit on your last ride, they might be too narrow in the toe area or not have enough padding in the insole to protect the bottom of your foot. If that were the case, I would think you would feel some discomfort prior to getting a "tingling/foot going to sleep" feeling.

I tend to get that tingly toe feeling a bit when I'm working hard over several miles and I have found that my shoes/pedals/socks have nothing to do with it.

I tend to get my seat bones in a position that I think pinches some nerves, or something, that causes that "going to sleep feeling" in my toes and balls of my feet.

All I have to do is ride out of the sadle for 30 seconds or so, and the feeling starts to go away. Then I remind myself that even though I'm pedaling hard, I need to concentrate on being relaxed, getting tensed up doesn't help a bit.

Anyway, I still think you need to get to the point where you can ride a couple of hours comfortably, and that may be at a slow pace. That'll tell you whether your clothing (shoes) and bike fit is correct.

Then when you start working for power/speed you'll know the only variable that has changed is how hard you're mashing the pedals.

That is a very great point ! I know for a fact that my seat is too far back, so I'm riding on the very front of it the whole time. I just would never figure out that I could be pinching nerves that control my feet. That makes a TON of sense :rolleyes:
My shoes fit great and I feel very comfortable in them when walking and at the start of my ride. I'm also thinking about buying some insoles (Dr.Sholes) or along those lines.

Thank You very much,
-Greg

gman0482 said:
My shoes fit great and I feel very comfortable in them when walking and at the start of my ride. I'm also thinking about buying some insoles (Dr.Sholes) or along those lines.
Look at Specialized insoles, sold at most shops where Specialized shoes are sold. Also, many cyclists have done well with Superfeet insoles. Both are more supportive than Dr. Sholes.