foot problems

krokumr

Jun 30, 2010
I have been cycling for about 4 years for fitness and pleasure. I started using Speedplay Frog pedals about 3 years ago after deciding to try being "clipped in" and doing some reading on bike forums and reviews on different pedal systems. I like the Speedplay a lot and got them for both my road bike and my 29er. About 6-8 months ago I started to notice a thickening and a slight tenderness on the ball of my right foot. At first I didn't connect it to cycling as it didn't bother me while riding. I increased my mileage this summer as I was training for a century ride and some longer pleasure rides. I used to do about 60 miles a week in the spring, summer and fall and increased that to 80-100 miles a week this summer. The ball of my foot started to bother me at night and I realized it was probably from cycling. After doing some more research and talking to sales people at my LBS I decided to try the Look Keo Max pedal system thinking the large platform would distribute the load better and mitigate the foot problem. I now have problems on both the right and left feet-still on the ball of the foot. I use Sole orthotics as I have had heel spurs in the past and wear them in all my shoes. I saw my podiatrist and he suggested Spenco orthotics which have more padding. I tried them with no relief. The problem seems to be the the joint between the metatarsal and phalanx bones in the 2nd and 3rd toes. I don't seem to feel discomfort while riding with the Speedplays but do have some discomfort with the Looks while riding. Has anyone had a similar problem and have you resolved it? My podiatrist says I may have to go back to regular pedals and wear some hiking or running shoes. I don't want to do this.

The only time I've had foot pain, it was the shoes, not the pedals. It also occurred only when changing brand or model of shoe. Have you gotten new shoes since this started? I have found that some footbeds just don't work well with my feet. But it's usually in the arch area, not the ball.