foot warmers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth considering as
    my feet are the only bit of me that ever gets cold.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:33:19 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth considering
    >as my feet are the only bit of me that ever gets cold.

    Not tried them.

    Tips for foot warmth:

    Don't have your shoes too tight (poor circulation doesn't help toe cosiness)

    Wear a hat. A large (third?) proportion of body heat escapes through the head. The body conserves
    vital services (brain, heart, digestion etc) by limiting losses to non essentials, like toes, by
    restricting blood flow to them.

    Tim
    --
    In space no one can eat ice cream

  3. "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth considering
    > as my feet are the only bit of me
    that
    > ever gets cold.

    Wouldn't the length of the flex put a limit on your cycling?

    (someone had to be first!)

    Pete.

  4. >Wouldn't the length of the flex put a limit on your cycling?

    >(someone had to be first!)
    >
    >Pete.

    I'm *shocked* that it was you. Indeed, I find it a *negative* post from you. I think I should *pull
    the plug* on this thread.

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  5. pig pog

    pig pog New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2003
    I don't have electric feet so I just bought some of yer regular neoprene overshoes. I have to walk through the greenwich foot tunnel (200yds) on my commute so the soles of the overshoes look a bit manky but I only wear them a few days of the year. They make a huge difference though

    best wishes
    james

  6. Henry Braun

    Henry Braun Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > >Wouldn't the length of the flex put a limit on your cycling? (someone had to be first!)
    >
    > I'm *shocked* that it was you. Indeed, I find it a *negative* post from you. I think I should
    > *pull the plug* on this thread.

    Why this resistance? I feel the thread has a lot of potential and addresses a very current concern,
    in a live, neutral and down-to-earth manner met with at low frequency in this charged field at a
    time of high tension.

  7. >Why this resistance? I feel the thread has a lot of potential and addresses a very current concern,
    >in a live, neutral and down-to-earth manner met with at low frequency in this charged field at a
    >time of high tension.

    *Watt* are you going *on* about? I've never *hertz* such a load of rubbish.

    Cheers, helen s

  8. Henry Braun <[email protected]>typed

    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > > >Wouldn't the length of the flex put a limit on your cycling? (someone had to be first!)
    > >
    > > I'm *shocked* that it was you. Indeed, I find it a *negative* post from you. I think I should
    > > *pull the plug* on this thread.

    > Why this resistance? I feel the thread has a lot of potential and addresses a very current
    > concern, in a live, neutral and down-to-earth manner met with at low frequency in this charged
    > field at a time of high tension.

    Enough Faraday!

  9. On 04 Nov 2003 11:06:10 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Why this resistance? I feel the thread has a lot of potential and addresses a very current
    >> concern, in a live, neutral and down-to-earth manner met with at low frequency in this charged
    >> field at a time of high tension.
    >
    > *Watt* are you going *on* about? I've never *hertz* such a load of rubbish.

    Ohm y, look what you've sparked off!

    Colin
    --

  10. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Colin Blackburn must be edykated coz e writed:

    > On 04 Nov 2003 11:06:10 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> Why this resistance? I feel the thread has a lot of potential and addresses a very current
    >>> concern, in a live, neutral and down-to-earth manner met with at low frequency in this charged
    >>> field at a time of high tension.
    >>
    >> *Watt* are you going *on* about? I've never *hertz* such a load of rubbish.
    >
    > Ohm y, look what you've sparked off!
    >
    > Colin
    And without so much as a period of inductance.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  11. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    I thought I may get some help...................obviously wrong!

    SW

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth considering
    > as my feet are the only bit of me
    that
    > ever gets cold.

  12. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:42:25 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth considering
    >> as my feet are the only bit of me
    >that
    >> ever gets cold.
    >>

    >I thought I may get some help...................obviously wrong!
    >
    >SW

    (Top posting corrected)

    Presumably these are battery operated gadgets. How much juice do they consume? You may find that a
    battery to operate them for a long enough time will weigh too much to be practical.

    Are they specifically aimed at cyclists or are they for motorcyclists?

    Tim
    --
    In space no one can eat ice cream

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Tim Hall <[email protected]> writes:

    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:42:25 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> Has anybody tried these electric foot warmers? I would like to know if they are worth
    > >> considering as my feet are the only bit of me
    > >that
    > >> ever gets cold.
    > >>
    > >I thought I may get some help...................obviously wrong!
    >
    > Presumably these are battery operated gadgets. How much juice do they consume? You may find that a
    > battery to operate them for a long enough time will weigh too much to be practical.

    The hunt'n, shoot'n an' fish'n fraternity use hand warmer thingies that you put charcoal in. I don't
    know how well they work but they might be lighter than batteries, and if you can stick one in a
    glove I would think you can stick one in an overboot.

    Mind you, good socks, my lovely SIDI winter boots, and (if wet) overboots, and ... no problem. Who
    needs heaters when you've got insulation?

    ;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming XSL processor.

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The hunt'n, shoot'n an' fish'n fraternity use hand warmer thingies that you put charcoal in. I
    > don't know how well they work but they might be lighter than batteries, and if you can stick one
    > in a glove I would think you can stick one in an overboot.

    That somehow reminds me of a quote from Terry Pratchett. "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day,
    but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

    There are a couple of systems that might be made to work without requiring actual combustion. Look
    at http://www.motorcycle-uk.com/giali/Gialiheatedclothing.html for Klan heated socks at £59.99. Mind
    you I think the necessary 24 watts at 12 volts could be a bit of a challenge. There are also
    chemical systems such as the one featured at http://www.heatfactory.com .

    Glider pilots have been known to try variations on both methods for flying at altitude. I have heard
    of at least one pilot making an emergency landing when his feet got too hot to bear, to the general
    amusement of those on the airfield. It's probably much easier to deal with burning feet on a bike
    ride though than in a cramped glider cockpit at 18,000'.

    --
    Dave...