FootPath Riding

beauyboy

Jun 6, 2006
Ok this is a poll to see how many people do what is generally illegel. Well That is except in Qlds. So how many ride on the footpath.
I did post a poll just before but there should be four options not three so hence this one.
One has questioned why I am doin these polls well it is out of curiousity.
And yes it is legel in Queensland to ride on the footpath.

Taken from the Qld Transport Website for cycling

Riding on the footpath (s288)
  • In Queensland, cyclists of any age are allowed to ride on a footpath unless prohibited by a bicycle prohibition sign. You must give way to pedestrians and ride in a manner which does not cause a hazard to other footpath users.

Beauyboy

nope, not a footpath rider.
the only time i used to ride on the footpath was when i was living in paddington and going down roma st from caxton st before they made a multi-use bus lane/cycle lane down the one way part of roma st/petrie tce as i had to get over the wiliam jolly bridge to get to west end.
i rode on the footpath then because i had to... i much prefered using a little used footpath to riding head-on to oncoming traffic.

nowadays, i have no need to ride on the footpath.

I want to buy a BMC time machine time trial bike... get a skin suit, time trial helmet, put on a zipp disc rear wheel, custom make a disc front wheel and ride up and down the footpaths of my state... actually i meant Estate.

Well when i started this poll i made a mistake and had to make this one, the second one. But before i could alter it I was told I was not legel in Queensland that is the reason for the Quote up the top. However I am not sure footpaths fall under the national road rules.
If I am wrong can you please correct me with the clause for your state stating the rule.

Beauyboy

Riding on the footpath (s288)
In Queensland, cyclists of any age are allowed to ride on a footpath unless prohibited by a bicycle prohibition sign. You must give way to pedestrians and ride in a manner which does not cause a hazard to other footpath users.

from
http://tinyurl.com/94w6e

i think maybe queensland should catch up with the other states and ban riding on footpaths... pedestrians are often more unpredictable, inconsiderate and ruder than cars/drivers. (they would say the same for cyclists, but its much easier to take 2 steps to the left when you are walking at 5km/h than to swerve around someone chatting on their phone when you are going 30km/h.)

The way I am read the WA rules is that it is only legal if the rider is under 12 years meaning that if you are riding on a footpath and over 12 like most of us are it would be illegal. This also means that the rules are not uniform across the nation.

As for it being banned well I hope it never happens up here. While i spend over 95% of my time on the road/bikeway I do use the footpath every now and again. When I am on the footpath i slow right down and giveway. The main I use is when I am riding to my gym the last part of the route is a singleway road so not to ride against the traffic I ride down the footpath. It is barely used by foottraffic and it is legel.

Beauyboy

I don't ride on footpaths as they are usually strewn with broken bottles, at least you have less chance of a puncture on the road....

i know it's illegal to ride on the footpath in SA.
i can't figure it out here in Vic (having moved here), but i can't stand all the planks in my area that do it when i'm trying to go for a run...
reckon i'd be safer to run on the road!

I try to avoid riding on footpaths where possible (because it's illegal), but sometimes it just doesn't make scense to do so. The only times I ride on footpaths are:
  1. when cycling trails/tracks ends at a footpath then continues again a couple of hundred metres up the footpath
  2. on super busy roads. After being hit several times by stupid drivers on Sydney's roads, I can no longer say that I fully trust the driving public...(Sydney's roads are atrocious for cycling!)
...so yes it may be illigal (excapt Qld) but tell that to me when I'm lying injured or dead on the road....
mad.gif

Beauboy; you should include another poll option: Yes but only sometimes???

beauyboy said:
The way I am read the WA rules is that it is only legal if the rider is under 12 years...
Ditto in NSW.

Riding on the footpath sucks, but unfortuently its a necessary evil to connect two parts of a Sydney routes bypassing risk. Most shared bike paths suck too. Also bike lanes within door zones are more dangerous than not having the lines painted in the first place. ***** ***** winge winge.

I think all of us are quoting old information. It has been legal to ride on a footpath for 2-4 years all over Australia when most "foot" paths were declared Dual use.

gclark8 said:
I think all of us are quoting old information. It has been legal to ride on a footpath for 2-4 years all over Australia when most "foot" paths were declared Dual use.
Didn't know that! Got a link?

My sis' boyfriend, being a police and cyclist himself, he said to me, bike is considered as vehicle, hence it should be on road with other vehicles. However, he never heards any police fines any cyclists for being on pedestrian path.

Similar to wearing helmet, eventhough it's a law (i'm not sure), but the police has the attitude that it's up to the cyclists wearing helmet or not, because if they involve in an accident, it's their head, not the police.

the only time i ride on a footpath is when i take my daughter to school, she walks and i ride. from memory if you're over 12 in victoria you should ride on the road :eek: i think 12 is a bit young, should be upped to 15, or if you're accompaning someone under 12 you're allowed to ride on the footpath.