Footwear for Cold Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert

Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm fine.
I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative? I would prefer
sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

"Robert" wrote ...
> Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
> casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm fine.
> I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative? I would
> prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

That depends on how good your circulation is, how your body tolerates cold, how well fed and rested
you are, and how the rest of your body is dressed, along with a few other minor variables. If you're
wearing a hat your feet will stay warmer; dressing your entire body with wool or insulating
synthetics next to the skin will keep your feet warmer; wearing wool socks instead of cotton will
keep your feet warmer. Wearing cotton next to your skin will keep your body cold, as will going
without a hat. Keep these facts in mind and you'll probably find that the shoes themselves are a
pretty minor factor at the temperatures you describe.
--
mark

Robert <[email protected]> wrote:
: Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
: casual cycling?

wear thick wool socks & you'll be fine. if it's wet stuff some plastic bags over your socks and
inside the shoes and probably also wear another thin liner sock (i'd make it wool, but i'd make
almost anything wool) and there's no reason a toe-end style bootie wouldn't work (also in rain).

there's no appreciable difference in warmth between sneakers and the bike shoes i usually wear. when
it gets *REALLY* cold (-20F range) something from these guys (www.redwingshoe.com) will work pretty
well. bit heavy, tho. ;-)
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Robert" wrote ...
> > Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
> > casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm
> > fine. I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative? I
> > would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
>
> That depends on how good your circulation is, how your body tolerates cold, how well fed and
> rested you are, and how the rest of your body is dressed, along with a few other minor variables.
> If you're wearing a hat your feet will stay warmer; dressing your entire body with wool or
> insulating synthetics next to the skin will keep your feet warmer; wearing wool socks instead of
> cotton will keep your feet warmer. Wearing cotton next to your skin will keep your body cold, as
> will going without a hat. Keep these facts in mind and you'll probably find that the shoes
> themselves are a pretty minor factor at the temperatures you describe.

Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I will
dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into trouble
if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?

9 Feb 2004 00:23:41 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Robert) wrote:

>Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I will
>dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into trouble
>if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?

You can always carry a couple plastic bags to knock out the wind or water chilling factor. As
previously suggested, wool socks are warm but make sure the shoes aren't too tight when wearing
heavy socks. You need room to wiggle your toes.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
> casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm fine.
> I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative? I would

Everybody's different, so I'd suggest tring a rid of an hour or so as a test. IME, if I'm ok for an
hour, I'll be ok for all day. For me, sneakers would be fine at 40, but only borderline at 30, and
definitely not enough if they get wet.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Robert" wrote ...
> > > Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours
> > > of casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures
> > > I'm fine. I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative?
> > > I would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
> >
> > That depends on how good your circulation is, how your body tolerates cold, how well fed and
> > rested you are, and how the rest of your body is dressed, along with a few other minor
> > variables. If you're wearing a hat your feet will stay warmer; dressing your entire body with
> > wool or insulating synthetics next to the skin will keep your feet warmer; wearing wool socks
> > instead of cotton will keep your feet warmer. Wearing cotton next to your skin will keep your
> > body cold, as will going without a hat. Keep these facts in mind and you'll probably find that
> > the shoes themselves are a pretty minor factor at the temperatures you describe.
>
>
> Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I will
> dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into trouble
> if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?

If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could do some damage to your feet.

--

I ride in moderately cold temperatures frequently for up to about 4 hours. I wear cycling shoes. I
have plastic covers and with wool socks, that works down to about 38 degree farenheit reasonably
well. However my toes get cold.

Here is a tip, if you get out a ways and your toes get cold, you can always go into a convenience
store, get a large drink and a paper, sit down (most have a few little booths) and in about 20
minutes, your toes should be warm again. With warm feet, you should be able to make it back OK.

However, the mid 30s and below seems to be more serious. I have a pair of neoprene boots that I use
for those temperatures.

Your experience maybe a bit better then mine. Cycling shoes restrict the motion of the feet because
of the rigid soles. Moving the feet some helps keep them warm, I guess by promoting circulation.
Anyway, I know this because I unclick with my right foot when I stop at a light and keep my left
foot clicked in. My left foot always gets colder then my right foot. I have concluded that the
little flexing that my right foot gets when I am balancing my weight against it is what makes the
difference. So your tennis shoes, may work better in the cold then bike shoes.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>> > "Robert" wrote ...
>> > > Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours
>> > > of casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures
>> > > I'm fine. I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better
>> > > alternative? I would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
>> >
>> > That depends on how good your circulation is, how your body tolerates cold, how well fed and
>> > rested you are, and how the rest of your body is dressed, along with a few other minor
>> > variables. If you're wearing a hat your feet will stay warmer; dressing your entire body with
>> > wool or insulating synthetics next to the skin will keep your feet warmer; wearing wool socks
>> > instead of cotton will keep your feet warmer. Wearing cotton next to your skin will keep your
>> > body cold, as will going without a hat. Keep these facts in mind and you'll probably find that
>> > the shoes themselves are a pretty minor factor at the temperatures you describe.
>>
>>
>> Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I
>> will dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into
>> trouble if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?
>
>If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could do some damage to your feet.
>

_ Trenchfoot? Not in 5hrs I think, frostbite is a possiblity. Anyway as a backup, you can carry a
pair of chemical handwarmers. There are special shaped toe warmers as well. They make a big
difference in that kind of weather and will last until you get back. An extra pair of dry socks in a
ziplock is also good insurance.

_ Booker C. Bense

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBQCgAG2TWTAjn5N/lAQERFQQAvAvH8kBhSM83AdJCz5BiEbYmupxfiSXz
Uhy/qvqYAQg2VjAj/jrn+C7A7c9G8K3OcwBWK3DdJoSbAyMOURGbzdSNIErLdKtE
7W55CRjHTjrrSpRWAnqfGVfMwhv3UGTPRfpYDe239A0anTlA4NCRUlqk5wbfu/PH
E/BKadMG+wQ= =WfrR -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> >> Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I
> >> will dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into
> >> trouble if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?
> >
> >If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could do some damage to your feet.
> >
>
> _ Trenchfoot? Not in 5hrs I think, frostbite is a possiblity. Anyway as a backup, you can carry
> a pair of

Trenchfoot was the first thing that crossed my mind, but frostbite is certainly more likely. Being
wet makes is much easier to get cold.

> chemical handwarmers. There are special shaped toe warmers as

I didn't know that; those would be handy if you got out quite a ways before you discovered your feet
weren't properly protected.

> well. They make a big difference in that kind of weather and will last until you get back. An
> extra pair of dry socks in a ziplock is also good insurance.

--

5 hours is a long time, and time is your enemy when trying to keep your feet warm in the winter. In
those temperatures I'd be okay for about 3 hours with good footwear. I'd suggest a 2 hour ride at 30
before attempting a 5 hour. Definitely keep footwear loose to keep the circulation going as this is
critically important. Feet are the "weak link" in winter cycling, tending to get too cold before
anything else does. People vary a lot in their leg/foot circulation so cautiously test conditions
for yourself. If you have no sort of wind barrier, you'll notice that the wind effect gets very
noticeable too. Check out the Icebike website (and subscribe to the email group) for great advice
from experienced winter cyclists.

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

-Bruce-

P.S.: It bears repeating, keep footwear LOOSE to promote circulation as this is key!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>
>...
>
>> >> Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away with cold, hurting feet. I
>> >> will dress the rest of my body appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get
>> >> into trouble if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?
>> >
>> >If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could do some damage to
>> >your feet.
>> >
>>
>> _ Trenchfoot? Not in 5hrs I think, frostbite is a possiblity. Anyway as a backup, you can carry a
>> pair of
>
>Trenchfoot was the first thing that crossed my mind, but frostbite is certainly more likely. Being
>wet makes is much easier to get cold.
>
>> chemical handwarmers. There are special shaped toe warmers as
>
>I didn't know that; those would be handy if you got out quite a ways before you discovered your
>feet weren't properly protected.
>

_ The toe ones are toe-shaped and have adhesive to stick to your socks, but the plain old square
ones work just as well. If you don't have room to fit them in then you're definitely wearing too
many socks or too small boots. Circulation is the key to keeping your feet warm in the winter, any
tightness in the foot will limit this. Too many or too thick socks is a common mistake.

_ The chemical handwarmers are also very useful for your hands. Often the difference between an epic
and a minor inconvience is the ability to use your fingers. Even the simplest things can be
incredibly difficult when your hands are too cold to work well. I don't think it's the actual heat
of these things that makes them so effective, but that they fool the body into opening up the
capillaries.

_ Booker C. Bense

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBQCrBtWTWTAjn5N/lAQEQxwQAnQfSVIp1+clh/k177ylZaD6MMR6mebia
gqZ9mzbA4AjOfd/U20fARTtBLMCpypeBnJu2gvRZpsFjpTBNjCtFqBtioEcby06x
+7jVui0hNvVlhbDU215UKPR2cJB+yhpACguWLfIew4nXj6OaN0b+HtjeuhR5IILr QaZqqA3k67U= =W4+Z -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

[email protected] (Robert) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

If your sneakers are not tight too much, they would be enough. Wintertime when I'm riding for long
I usually wear a shoe which is a bit larger than my feet, so I can wear two or three pairs of
socks without hazarding my blood circulation. It also helps if you try to ride all the time
sitting and not standing, leaving your sneakers loose on your feet (you're not walking anyway).
Sometimes shake your feet while rolling down a hill so blood can start to circulate, and as a last
advice: when you feel your feet are getting too cold, just stop, remove your shoes, and give your
feet a nice massage.

Frank www.plitkorn.com

There are personal variables that make it hard to answer - metabolism, oveall health and blood
circulation; whether you've been "hardened off" by doing a lot of winter riding; how hard you work
when riding; precipitation. The only times I get in trouble with temperatures in the 30's and no
more than one pair of socks and regular riding shoes is when there's a cold rain.

"Ferenc Lovro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Robert) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of
> > casual cycling? I know when I bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm
> > fine. I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a better alternative? I
> > would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
>
> If your sneakers are not tight too much, they would be enough. Wintertime when I'm riding for long
> I usually wear a shoe which is a bit larger than my feet, so I can wear two or three pairs of
> socks without hazarding my blood circulation. It also helps if you try to ride all the time
> sitting and not standing, leaving your sneakers loose on your feet (you're not walking anyway).
> Sometimes shake your feet while rolling down a hill so blood can start to circulate, and as a last
> advice: when you feel your feet are getting too cold, just stop, remove your shoes, and give your
> feet a nice massage.
>
> Frank www.plitkorn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.