For Alienator-LA in Tucson

Dec 30, 2007
Not a great big fan of his but I read that Lance A. is in a training camp in your fair city. Are his training rides poached by the locals there? Does he and his bunch care? Or is it encouraged? Always kinda neat to ride 'with' genuine pros. I rode along with Rominger, Furlan in the late 80s in SanDiego.

Peter@vecchios said:
Not a great big fan of his but I read that Lance A. is in a training camp in your fair city. Are his training rides poached by the locals there? Does he and his bunch care? Or is it encouraged? Always kinda neat to ride 'with' genuine pros. I rode along with Rominger, Furlan in the late 80s in SanDiego.

You know, I don't know. I suspect as with anywhere there are some poachers. I wondered if he was going to twitter about a ride as he did in other cities, but since I don't twitter, I wouldn't know. I'm curious to see if they ride the Shootout on the weekend(s) while they're here. Tom Danielson and others have done it in the past. Otherwise, I'm a poor source of information on this. What I want to know is if the team is going horn doggin' on the UA campus. That'd make a great story.

alienator said:
You know, I don't know. I suspect as with anywhere there are some poachers. I wondered if he was going to twitter about a ride as he did in other cities, but since I don't twitter, I wouldn't know. I'm curious to see if they ride the Shootout on the weekend(s) while they're here. Tom Danielson and others have done it in the past. Otherwise, I'm a poor source of information on this. What I want to know is if the team is going horn doggin' on the UA campus. That'd make a great story.

The pix shown showed a lot of 'local's riding along behind him. If anything about LA is true...I'll bet he spends some time in the local watering holes. No snow!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/radioshacks-training-camp-begins-in-arizona/97665

Peter@vecchios said:
The pix shown showed a lot of 'local's riding along behind him. If anything about LA is true...I'll bet he spends some time in the local watering holes. No snow!

Could be locals. You know how bugs are attracted to light....

There are a lot of watering holes in Tucson. I think the number of bars in a given location increases with the amount of Mexican food available. Hot and beer go well together. As does young and beer.

With the University, there are a lot of Olsen-esque girls around, and now's a particularly good time to go fishin' for 'em: finals are coming up in a little over a week, so student's are stressed and vulnerable, open to guidance from an experienced hand.

That said, I think I will watch LA's twitter to see if he announces a ride. I'm not an LA fanboy for his riding (nor am I hater for that reason), but I am a tremendous fan of what he's done for cancer patients. Plus if I can get him to sign my Look 595, I can sell it on eBay for 7 times its value. Plus, I think he's been good for the bike scene in the US. If he could only use his powers to rid us of the hipster/fixie plague and cure recumbent riders, the world would be two steps closer to being perfect.

alienator said:
Could be locals. You know how bugs are attracted to light....

There are a lot of watering holes in Tucson. I think the number of bars in a given location increases with the amount of Mexican food available. Hot and beer go well together. As does young and beer.

With the University, there are a lot of Olsen-esque girls around, and now's a particularly good time to go fishin' for 'em: finals are coming up in a little over a week, so student's are stressed and vulnerable, open to guidance from an experienced hand.

That said, I think I will watch LA's twitter to see if he announces a ride. I'm not an LA fanboy for his riding (nor am I hater for that reason), but I am a tremendous fan of what he's done for cancer patients. Plus if I can get him to sign my Look 595, I can sell it on eBay for 7 times its value. Plus, I think he's been good for the bike scene in the US. If he could only use his powers to rid us of the hipster/fixie plague and cure recumbent riders, the world would be two steps closer to being perfect.

I think Darwin is going to take care of a lot of hipsters...'bent riders are in their own world.

Me and 4 other guys are working on a Feb 2011 trip to Tucson..2 weeks of riding, wives doing whatever they do.....

Peter@vecchios said:
The pix shown showed a lot of 'local's riding along behind him.

You sure those are 'locals'? Looks like a bunch of extra Quick Step and Astana riders joined his entourage. :D

Peter@vecchios said:
I think Darwin is going to take care of a lot of hipsters...'bent riders are in their own world.

Me and 4 other guys are working on a Feb 2011 trip to Tucson..2 weeks of riding, wives doing whatever they do.....

Fair warning: if the wives go shopping, a lot of serious damage can be done to credit cards and bank accounts here.

Tucson in February will be good. Your friends and you will be able to cover all sorts of fun ground.

Looks like all team in the pic. A friend was on her way up Mt Lemon and got a pic of the group coming down a couple of days ago. Book signing at Borders tomorrow. No announcements on Twitter, but he and Levi both mention their Lemon ride. Didn't hear that he was at the shoot out.