For all those Alpine Classic riders

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Firstly good luck!
    Hope it aint too hot and your legs are strong and you always have one smaller gear available :D

    Secondly, found this and thawt some might find it handy.
    Its a little list I made just big/small enough to tape to my stem and is a list of locations/distances and where water/food is available on the 200km version. Not sure if the feed station is gonna be in the backblocks of Bright again like last year's tho :rolleyes:

    http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/wsw/200km_alpine.pdf

    F "glad he's not doing the AC but shall return next year. Sub 9 hours fer sure..." D

    Tags:

  2. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Thats sensational dutchy. As a first timer this is handy. One thing I'm debating is if 2 bottles will be enough? or should I bring my 1.5 L camelbak as well.

    Hoping to go under 10 hrs, but after my effort in the Dandys last Sat, I think survival is the better option :rolleyes: ....Gees I hope its not hot!

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I took 2 the first time i did it but found the second time (last year 9:18hrs) i got by fine on one. There is heaps of places/springs/creeks between Bright and Falls. The one on the east side of Tawonga is not quite big enough to jump in (believe me. i tried :D ). The biggest gap is from Porepunkah up to the spring up Buffalo, altho they often put a tanker on a flatbed truck about 3/4 of the way up.
    If youre going to be around 10 hours (persona experience speaking here :rolleyes: ) the temptation to stop after 130km when you get back to Bright is strong as you'll be riding in the middle of the day at that stage and if its hot, its hard yards. Buffalo is very open like the return up Tawonga (ie not shady like Falls). Hope you enjoy it! A report will be mandatory...

  4. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Theres no way I'm stopping at Bright, I've come to do the 200, so thats exactly what I'll do, even if I have to guts it out and take multiple mini breaks.

    Should be a blast :D

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    That's what I told myself...
    "I didnt do all this f$#kin trainin' to pike out now..."

    Said the same thing on the ferry on the ARTBIAD ride in 2003 :rolleyes:

  6. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    :) Exactly...I suppose at least you don't get hypothermia on this ride, sitting around twiddling your thumbs! Saying that the info brochure said a couple of people copped that coming down falls.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    i have heard tales from previous years of freezing conditions up Falls, but seemed hard to believe on my 2 (both 30+deg)

    I cramped reaching the bottom of Falls. Did the 'emergency-stop-and-crazydance', stretched a bit and then was fine for the rest. I think i was tenseing too much on the descent as I really gunned it

  8. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Thanks for the list and the well wishes.

    I've heard stories of bad weather hitting riders and people almost suffering from hypothermia, etc. Basically, I plan to take everything I would possibly need with me - just in case.

  9. Unregistered

    Unregistered New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2003
    For anyone targetting a "time" in the 200k, here's my stab at a 9 hour schedule. Given as departure times from the relevant checkpoint, so how you split the riding & stop times is up to you:

    0620 Bright 0km
    0800 Mt Beauty 38km
    1000 Falls Creek 68km
    1210 Bright 130km
    1420 Dingo Dell 165km
    1520 Bright finish 200km

    This is based on a pretty steady rate of climbing on all the main hills throughout the day. It may feel easy to go faster on the early climbs but beware the big blow-up on Buffalo if you push too hard too early!

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    and dont that last hour feel sooooooo good! :D

    PS is the checkpoint at Dingo Dell again this year?
    Got seriously to the point of getting off and throwing bike when i got to turnoff to chalet and realised I still had further to go :rolleyes:

    F "descending nutter who did that last 'hour' in 48 minutes! D

  11. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Yep its at Dingo Dell.

    Forecast so far for Falls Creek is 16 deg 8 min, with scattered showers, with wind from the East of 8mph. Melb forecast is 27 deg and fine.

  12. Unregistered

    Unregistered New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2003
    Yeah, Audax reckon that "new, improved" route was SOOOOOO popular with the masses in 2004 they've decided to make it a permanent feature :confused:

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    wow. musta not asked anyone I spoke too!
    Everyone I knew were fuming about it :mad:
    Still, Im out this time round so shall think of y'all as I do my nice timid 'BR'

  14. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    You could entitle it BR31 - the Classic Piker's ride!

    M"still seriously considering venturing that far out in the eastern suburbs - a bit scary for a westie like me"H

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    '31 - the number of the, err, um... oh yeah. The number of the next one!"

    "Eastern Suburbs aint scary. Weez juss maw inbred. Momma, dem strange 'different' people er out thar ageeeen!"

    "Never maind, deya. joooost chainge tha chaneeel!".

    F "washed the bike today. it MUST go faster now. right?... right??"

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 at 12:12 GMT, mfhor (aka Bruce)

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >> wow. musta not asked anyone I spoke too!
    >> Everyone I knew were fuming about it :mad:
    >> Still, Im out this time round so shall think of y'all as I do my nice
    >> timid 'BR'

    > You could entitle it BR31 - the Classic Piker's ride!
    >
    > M"still seriously considering venturing that far out in the eastern
    > suburbs - a bit scary for a westie like me"H

    In a coupla weeks time, if it is not too hot (ie, lower than 25 :),
    I'll join, and watch as the rest of you leave trails of dust behind
    you :)

    This weekend, I'll do the Hursbridge MBTC ride.

    A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.

  17. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 at 12:31 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > F "washed the bike today. it MUST go faster now. right?... right??"

    Well, did you paint it red also?

    It's written GNU/Linux, and pronounced "Linux". Or, "Linux, with a
    silent GNU/" -- Kubric @ /.

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    dang! maybe next week :rolleyes:

  19. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    snot red??? blood nose colour!!!! better get some of those special Giramondo (is that right) nose plugs as modelled by Mario on Sat :p

  20. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    mfhor wrote:

    > M"still seriously considering venturing that far out in the eastern
    > suburbs - a bit scary for a westie like me"H

    Do they make cleats to fit moccies?

    DaveB