General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

For dinner tonight

Started by serene · · Last activity · 42 posts · 597 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 February 2006
Last activity
13 February 2006
Original author
serene
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
597
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Reg said:
    serene said:

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 03:16:58 GMT, Reg <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yep, quiche is the thing tonight. The filling has ricotta
    and roasted peppers and it has a corn crust.

    Ooh, yum. Any spices to go with the southwesty flavors?

    Quoted message said:

    Wow, you're way ahead of me. Your crystal ball is in fine
    form tonight.

    Guajillo and ancho. Goes nice with the corn flavors.

    Yum. Now James is dreaming up all kinds of pies and [censored] to make,
    because he liked these so much. I told him gently that quiches aren't
    exactly the best thing for him to have very often, because of all the
    fat, but we can try other [censored] and pies. He was so enchanted by the
    mixture of caramelized onions and sun-dried tomatoes, and how they
    walk the line between sweet and savory, that he's dying to have me
    make a goat-cheese-and-tomato-and-caramelized-onion [censored]. So I guess
    that'll be the next experiment. :-)

    serene

  2. On 11 Feb 2006 21:21:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"

    virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz said:

    peppadew

    I had to google this. Looks so yummy!

    serene

  3. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:18:03 -0600, Spuddie <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Tuna hotdish and a couple of ibuprofen. (I dropped a can of tuna on my
    foot. At least it hadn't been opened yet.)

    Ouch!!

    (My ex-wife's favorite things I cooked were tuna casserole and mashed
    potatoes with mushroom gravy. I *love* tuna casserole!)

    serene

  4. serene said:

    Yum. Now James is dreaming up all kinds of pies and [censored] to make,
    because he liked these so much. I told him gently that quiches aren't
    exactly the best thing for him to have very often, because of all the
    fat, but we can try other [censored] and pies. He was so enchanted by the
    mixture of caramelized onions and sun-dried tomatoes, and how they
    walk the line between sweet and savory, that he's dying to have me
    make a goat-cheese-and-tomato-and-caramelized-onion [censored]. So I guess
    that'll be the next experiment. :-)

    serene

    I'm in the same boat as James. I have to watch the fat very,
    very, closely. If my metabolism were any slower it would run
    backwards. I rarely get to eat anything with a pastry crust.
    I serve them to others just about very day, but I'm lucky
    if i can eat it once a month.

    How about making him an onion/tomato relish and serving it on
    the side? That would cut the fat way down. Chop up some sun
    dried tomato and caramelized onion, add a splash of balsamic,
    S&P, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and some olive oil,
    in what ever amount is appropriate.

    Serve it alongside grilled salmon, chicken breast, poached
    shrimp, etc.

    In any case, he's lucky to have you looking out for him.

    --
    Reg

  5. serene said:

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:18:03 -0600, Spuddie <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Tuna hotdish and a couple of ibuprofen. (I dropped a can of tuna on my
    foot. At least it hadn't been opened yet.)

    Ouch!!

    (My ex-wife's favorite things I cooked were tuna casserole and mashed
    potatoes with mushroom gravy. I *love* tuna casserole!)

    serene

    Oh seerene, you're a saint. I LOVE gravy and have no successs. i
    desperately need some help with veggie gravy making.....and i think
    you're just the woman to help me! pretty please?

  6. We ate: potato kugel with homemade applesauce and sour cream

    Grandma's cold peas and cheese salad

    a stew of chickpeas, tomaotoes, onions, and yellow peppers

    sweet potato biscuits.

    for dessert: peanut butter bars. the kind that are made like 7 layer
    bars, with sweetened condensed milk to give them that gooey delicious
    layer.

    and along with our movie later, popcorn with garlic, parmesan, yeast,
    and cayenne pepper. captain morgan's dark rum and diet coke clack
    cherry vanilla, with a piece of lime....my new favorite drink!

  7. Reg wrote:
    How about making him an onion/tomato relish and serving it on

    Quoted message said:

    the side? That would cut the fat way down. Chop up some sun
    dried tomato and caramelized onion, add a splash of balsamic,
    S&P, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and some olive oil,
    in what ever amount is appropriate.

    That sounds good. I made up a suin-dried tomato pesto the other day -
    in my food processor I mixed: a jar of sun-dried tomatoes on olive oil,
    about 1/4 c of chopped parsley, 1/4 - 1/2 c walnuts, 4 cloves roasted
    garlic, salt, pepper. It's really good.

    We used it the first night on sandwiches of marinated grilled
    portobellos, with olive tapenade, roasted red peppers, smoked
    mozzarella, carmelized onions, and romaine lettuce.

    The next day, my BF used some in a chicken wrap with cold chicken
    pieces, lettuce, yellow peppers, black olives, mayo, and fresh
    tomatoes.

    Tomoroow night, it's getting tossed with some penne, white beans,
    roasted garlic, and ricotta cheese, and topped with parmesan. Served
    with salad and steamed lemon buttered broccoli.

  8. serene said:

    I just ate a cara cara orange that I got for 39 cents a pound today,
    and it was beautiful (slightly pink flesh) and so yummysweet.

    I don't remember ever eating a pink fleshed orange.... have to look
    for it.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  9. Reg said:
    serene said:

    James has requested quiche. I'm gonna make two, since he likes it even
    better cold. I think this one will contain spinach, feta, and
    caramelized onions. What are you having?

    Yep, quiche is the thing tonight. The filling has ricotta
    and roasted peppers and it has a corn crust.

    Il ove quiche, but that one is REALLY different... please post the
    recipe. 🙂
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  10. Reg said:


    Ricotta Cheese-Lemon Thyme [censored] With Sweet Cornmeal Crust

    Oh, you posted the recipe already!... please disregard my previous
    plea.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  11. Reg said:
    serene said:

    Yum. Now James is dreaming up all kinds of pies and [censored] to make,
    because he liked these so much. I told him gently that quiches aren't
    exactly the best thing for him to have very often, because of all the
    fat, but we can try other [censored] and pies. He was so enchanted by the
    mixture of caramelized onions and sun-dried tomatoes, and how they
    walk the line between sweet and savory, that he's dying to have me
    make a goat-cheese-and-tomato-and-caramelized-onion [censored]. So I guess
    that'll be the next experiment. :-)

    serene

    I'm in the same boat as James. I have to watch the fat very,
    very, closely.

    Yeah. James has very well controlled diabetes, but one of the reasons
    it's well controlled is that we eat mostly low-fat, and very little
    fried foods, meat, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    How about making him an onion/tomato relish and serving it on
    the side?

    Ooh, that sounds lovely. I'm gonna try that soon!

    Quoted message said:


    In any case, he's lucky to have you looking out for him.

    Thanks, hon. We're both lucky. Happiest three years of my life (our
    anniversary was about a week ago).

    serene

  12. sf said:
    Reg said:
    serene said:

    James has requested quiche. I'm gonna make two, since he likes it even
    better cold. I think this one will contain spinach, feta, and
    caramelized onions. What are you having?

    Yep, quiche is the thing tonight. The filling has ricotta
    and roasted peppers and it has a corn crust.

    Il ove quiche, but that one is REALLY different... please post the
    recipe. 🙂

    Aren't you the one that disappeared right in the middle of
    a recent post? I was ready to send out a posse to make sure
    you were OK 🙂

    The basic recipe is upthread somewhere. Plus there were a few
    changes in tonight's rendition. Add one roasted red bell
    pepper, 1 t of ground guajillo, 1/2 t ground ancho. I
    never make the original recipe because it's a bit too
    tame for me. I always embellish it.

    --
    Reg

  13. Reg said:
    sf said:

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 03:16:58 GMT, Reg wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yep, quiche is the thing tonight. The filling has ricotta
    and roasted peppers and it has a corn crust.

    Il ove quiche, but that one is REALLY different... please post the
    recipe. 🙂

    Aren't you the one that disappeared right in the middle of
    a recent post? I was ready to send out a posse to make sure
    you were OK 🙂


    🙂 thanks for being concerned

    Quoted message said:

    The basic recipe is upthread somewhere. Plus there were a few
    changes in tonight's rendition. Add one roasted red bell
    pepper, 1 t of ground guajillo, 1/2 t ground ancho. I
    never make the original recipe because it's a bit too
    tame for me. I always embellish it.

    and thanks for the recipe update
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  14. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:32:55 -0800 while whitewashing the broccoli
    serene <[email hidden]> tossed a caber at the lizard while
    remarking:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tuna hotdish and a couple of ibuprofen. (I dropped a can of tuna on my
    foot. At least it hadn't been opened yet.)

    Ouch!!

    It's a little bruised this morning but not hurting yet. I haven't
    tried putting my shoes on though.

    Quoted message said:

    (My ex-wife's favorite things I cooked were tuna casserole and mashed
    potatoes with mushroom gravy. I *love* tuna casserole!)

    serene

    I do too. I make mine using cheddar cheese soup rather than cream of
    whatever soup or a white sauce. Saw the recipe variant years ago in a
    magazine and have been doing it that way ever since. And no peas! Lots
    of chopped onions and celery and sliced 'shrooms, lots of chunky tuna,
    loads of coarsely ground black pepper, but totally pealess.

    Cheryl
    ~~~I refuse to believe that trading recipes is silly. Tunafish
    casserole is at least as real as corporate stock.~~~
    (Barbara Grizzuti Harrison)

  15. Reg said:

    Had a few glasses of Smoked Loon syrah along with it.
    Quite a nice bottle for six bucks.

    Make that Smoking Loon. Where did you find it?
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  16. sf said:
    Reg said:

    Had a few glasses of Smoked Loon syrah along with it.
    Quite a nice bottle for six bucks.

    Make that Smoking Loon. Where did you find it?

    Yeah, Smoked Loon was the entree 🙂

    Safeway on La Playa has it.

    --
    Reg

  17. Jude said:


    Oh seerene, you're a saint. I LOVE gravy and have no successs. i
    desperately need some help with veggie gravy making.....and i think
    you're just the woman to help me! pretty please?

    Oh, dear. If I give you the recipe for the mushroom gravy, you will
    never be able to look me in the eye again.

    *sigh*

    Here goes. Please understand that I was trying to duplicate
    cute-poet-chick's preferred gravy, and I kept it up until it was
    exactly to her liking. It's good, but it's trashy and definitely not
    haute cuisine.

    1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup
    1/3 can milk
    1 capful Kitchen Bouquet

    That's it. Mix and heat.

    Still love me?

    :-)

    I still use Kitchen Bouquet to give a better color to homemade
    mushroom gravy, but this is how I make it now:

    Saute an onion with salt and pepper to taste in half butter, half oil
    until it's just turning translucent. Add several sliced garlic cloves
    and a huge bunch of sliced mushrooms, and saute together until most of
    the liquid is gone. Add a half-cup or so of sherry, cook and stir
    some more until the liquid is nearly gone again. Do this once or
    twice more. Meanwhile, make a roux or heat roux you've got saved in
    the fridge. Add broth, milk, or as a last resort water to the
    mushrooms and heat through. When it starts to boil gently, add the
    roux. Stir until thickened. Add Kitchen Bouquet if the gravy is gray
    in color.

    Sometimes, when I am in a hurry or have no roux or whatever, I will
    just thicken the gravy with cornstarch instead. (Make a paste of
    cornstarch and water and add to the liquid as it starts to gently
    boil. Stir until thickened.)

    serene

  18. Oh serene.............canned soup. You're officially on RFC probabtion
    now. Your secret's out. Do you serve green bean casserole alongside
    your gravy? =)

    Thanks for the recipe. The roux-based one sounds like what i've tried,
    but maybe the Kitchen Bouquet is the missing secret ingredient! Mine
    always endds up tasting more like a cream sauce than a gravy. I need to
    up the stcok and decrease the milk, I think.

  19. Jude said:

    Oh serene.............canned soup. You're officially on RFC probabtion
    now. Your secret's out. Do you serve green bean casserole alongside
    your gravy? =)

    I know. It is my secret shame! :-)

    My ex-wife, the Diner Queen, is from the south. Some of the things
    she taught me to cook were divine -- spicy green beans, Snappy Cheese,
    yum. But they're not to be confused with health food.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the recipe. The roux-based one sounds like what i've tried,
    but maybe the Kitchen Bouquet is the missing secret ingredient! Mine
    always endds up tasting more like a cream sauce than a gravy. I need to
    up the stcok and decrease the milk, I think.

    I think using beef stock would make it taste gravy-er, but I don't
    generally have beef stock around.

    serene

  20. serene said:

    I think using beef stock would make it taste gravy-er, but I don't
    generally have beef stock around.

    serene

    Weeeeellllllll, since I don't eat red meat or poultry, I think that
    idea's out. That's why I'm interested in mushroom gravy. I love gravy
    for mashed potatoes or stuffing/dressing, but as a veg, it's pretty
    hard to find or make. And mine never works.........is the golden
    mushroom soup a chicken based soup? I'll stick with roux-based, but
    increase the veg broth and decerase the milk, I think.

    Thanks for the tips!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.