For everyone in North America: Put those lights on the bike!

High Gear

Oct 6, 2004
I just read about a rider that got hit because a driver didn't see him. Just a reminder to put those rear flashers on the bike to be safe.

High Gear said:
I just read about a rider that got hit because a driver didn't see him. Just a reminder to put those rear flashers on the bike to be safe.
A rear flasher during the day is not going to help you be seen. Bright colored clothing is what you need.

If someone is riding at night without lights, then they are really stupid.

velomanct said:
A rear flasher during the day is not going to help you be seen. Bright colored clothing is what you need.

If someone is riding at night without lights, then they are really stupid.
Rear flashers in the day really do work. We experimented with several and found that they provided better long range, and attention getting visibility than wearing a hi viz yellow jersey alone. This was done with our local cycling club and the police bike patrol.

Put a flasher on. I like the kind that can clip to the back of my seat bag (More aero:) ) Flash works better than steady, fast flashing works better than slow flashing, and having multiple leds on at one time during the flash is better/brighter than single leds.

This test was done under several conditions: Down long (1mi+) flat straight; around a blind turn; in traffic, and going up and over a hill. Each time, the rider with the flashing led light on the back clearly drew more attention, earlier, at a longer distance.

Just added: I dug up the notes from when we did this last year (We're mostly a group of cyclists/engineers - total geeks:) ): Vistalite Super Nebula 5 was brightest, but BIG and hard to mount and remove; Cateye TL-LD600 Tail Light was almost as bright, but not as good at long range, Photon Mini Light was OK but the flash modes weren't the best, a no name flasher from wal mart worked as well as the expensive ones from the LBS, but not as good as the Super Nebula 5,
I've got a Super Nebula 5 on the back of both my road bikes attached to the seat bag.

Keep ridin' but stay safe . . .

I just tow a flashing trailer-mounted construction sign behind me. Increases my workout to boot. :)

cydewaze said:
I just tow a flashing trailer-mounted construction sign behind me. Increases my workout to boot. :)
Since I'm an old fart I remember the 70s when I trained without a helmet and was forced to wear a leather hairnet for racing - and hated it.

Now I wear a helmet, have front and rear flashing lights, wear hi viz yellow jersey, put reflective tape on the bike frame I repainted day glo orange . . . and that's just when I ride my rollers!:)
Instead of buying a new bike, maybe I should hire someone with a minivan to ride behind me with a "Slow Vehicle" Warning sign:)

Still, I've been hit by cars a few times, have a friend who's been a quadraplegic since the age of 18, 30 years ago after being hit on a training ride . . .
It's hard not to feel like a target sometimes, especially here in Texas where the roads are crowded with bleach blonde soccer mom dingbats in Suburbans, and redneck bozos in patched up pickem ups who think I'm scum in lycra.

szbert said:
Still, I've been hit by cars a few times, have a friend who's been a quadraplegic since the age of 18, 30 years ago after being hit on a training ride . . .
Ugh... if anything happened to Jessica on a ride, I'd be in jail, because I would KILL whoever did it. Maybe I'll dress up her bike with some illumination.

i got a cheap 3 led rear light, and it works great.

it cost something like £5 and has 3 flsahing modes and high visiblity, it also weighs nothing!

Man, is this ever my pet peeve! I've had FAR more close calls with other cyclists than I've had with cars; and that's saying a whole lot given that I live in New York City and have to deal with hordes of cab drivers, most of whom would rather turn you into road kill than show the slightest bit of consideration.

Since it's dark when I get home from work now, Central Park is deserted and not really safe (duh). My current evening ride consists of a 20+ mile loop of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. The most dangerous part of the ride is going over the Brooklyn and 59th Street Bridges, all due to cyclists coming down the bridge slopes FAST with no lights. My particular favorites are the idiots who do this while riding with no hands and talking on a cell phone, completely oblivious to the world around them. Another hazard around here are the lightless wonders who speed down one-way streets the wrong way and blow right though red lights without even slowing if they don't see any cars. I came real close to a probable dirt nap thanks to one of those morons.

The worst part is that at least half of these people appear to be dedicated cyclists, at least they ride expensive bikes and dress for the part. Not only do these people cause serious injuries and deaths every year in this city, but they give the rest of us a bad reputation and get us banned from places we'd otherwise be able to go.

Riding at night without a headlight and taillight is NOT macho. It is stupid and arrogant. Not only do you endanger yourself, but, more importantly, you endanger me and everybody else who happens to be in your path.

Hey szbert, I use one of those no name flashers from Walmart-well actually it's made by Bell- but it really shines! It works as well as those $25-$50 ones at the bike shop. It glows like Rudolf's nose, for $8.00.

I believe it. Of course if cateye comes out with a megabucks carbon/Ti flasher with ` 2 Ghz processor and superkryptonian LEDs that flash a subliminal message to drivers that says "Give the cyclist the ENTIRE lane . . ." I'd probably buy one of those. :) Being a gadget geek is part of the game.

ohgodnooo! said:
Hey szbert, I use one of those no name flashers from Walmart-well actually it's made by Bell- but it really shines! It works as well as those $25-$50 ones at the bike shop. It glows like Rudolf's nose, for $8.00.

I completely agree with ElPerro - it also never ceases to amaze me seeing "dedicated cyclists" (with aforementioned expensive bikes, dressed in lycra, etc.) doing REALLY STUPID things. The list goes on and on, but a few personal favorites include: riding without lights at dawn/dusk/night, blowing through stop lights/signs without even SLOWING, passing people on bike paths without so much as an "on your left," etc.

It's tough to ask for cooperation and understanding from motorists and pedestrians when these dolts do this stuff in full view of everyone.

ohgodnooo! said:
I actually use 2 of those Bell flashers. I figure the odds of the batteries on both of them dying out on the same ride home are slim to none.

Is there such a thing as a 360deg flashing light that attaches to the top of the flag pole?