Road Cycling · Public discussion

For gooserider - Hows the Ibex?

Started by Ken M · · Last activity · 4 posts · 438 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 December 2005
Last activity
15 December 2005
Original author
Ken M
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
438
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The bike bug is biting again. I have been checking into Ibex. Saw a
    couple of old threads about your experience with one. How is it holding
    up? I might want one of the "classic" models. Just for my fitness rides,
    rather than my hybrid.

    Ken
    --
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

  2. "Ken M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The bike bug is biting again. I have been checking into Ibex. Saw a couple
    of old threads about your experience with one. How is it holding up? I
    might want one of the "classic" models. Just for my fitness rides, rather
    than my hybrid.

    Ken

    I bought the Corrida CT 2.2 a couple of years ago on clearance, much like
    Ibex is doing now. I got it for $299 and it's the best bike purchase I've
    made. Shimano derailleurs(low end), Tektro mini-V brakes, rack and fender
    eyelets. I have a lot of miles on it. I don't know exactly how much but
    probably 1500. I'm on my second set of tires, the stock tires sucked. Conti
    Tourings are much better. It's my beater/grocery getter and it gets rough
    treatment. I take it off road through the cemetary, ride it in the rain, and
    lock it to racks. It's not flashy and nobody knows what an Ibex is anyway,
    not real worried about theft. I do like it. I didn't mount fenders because
    they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
    fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long reach
    sidepull. Heck, even a disc. I wish it were steel, and the one I bought is a
    50cm. I needed a 52, so I have a tall riser stem on it and it looks kind of
    dorky. Again, theft deterrence. :-)

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:

    I didn't mount fenders because
    they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
    fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long reach
    sidepull.

    I uttered the same gripe to my across-the-lane-neighbour/bike-shop-guy.
    He told me he just puts little holes in the fenders to run the
    inner cables through. I imagine he'd still have to spread the brake
    arms wide enough to surround the fenders without squeezing them, and
    then maybe experiment a little with the spacers on threaded-post
    brake pads.

    Anyway I have to agree with you -- old style cantis are much more
    fender friendly. I'd rather not have to immediately perform
    surgery on a brand new set of fenders, even if it's just making a
    few tiny holes.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  4. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:

    I didn't mount fenders because
    they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
    fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long
    reach
    sidepull.

    I uttered the same gripe to my across-the-lane-neighbour/bike-shop-guy.
    He told me he just puts little holes in the fenders to run the
    inner cables through. I imagine he'd still have to spread the brake
    arms wide enough to surround the fenders without squeezing them, and
    then maybe experiment a little with the spacers on threaded-post
    brake pads.

    Anyway I have to agree with you -- old style cantis are much more
    fender friendly. I'd rather not have to immediately perform
    surgery on a brand new set of fenders, even if it's just making a
    few tiny holes.

    Cantilevers can stop as good or better than sidepulls or V-brakes,
    especially a modern design. Not as cool, I guess. The brakes are the only
    thing I don't like about the Ibex. I see Ibex is running a sale on the
    Corrida with disc brakes now. Nice bike.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.