For I-Pod users

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill Baka, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    http://www.apple.com/sound/

    I ran into this link today and decided to put it here for anyone who may
    happen to use an I-Pod. Many of us don't need music 24/7 but for those
    who do this is relevant.
    Bill

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Better yet, get rid of the in-ear phones and get some full cup cans
    which are further away from your ear bits. Not totally safe either at
    high volume, but better--and nicer sound as well. Cheap Sennheiser
    HD202s will blow the stock 'phones away.

    Don't wear them on your bike.

  3. Thanks Bill.

    Personally, it's not too relevant. I rarely raise the volume above
    25%. If it's noisy enough to require much more than that, it's too
    noisy to be listening to music.

    Jeff

  4. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    landotter wrote:
    > Better yet, get rid of the in-ear phones and get some full cup cans
    > which are further away from your ear bits. Not totally safe either at
    > high volume, but better--and nicer sound as well. Cheap Sennheiser
    > HD202s will blow the stock 'phones away.
    >
    > Don't wear them on your bike.

    Definitely not on a bike, but I have seen pedestrians wearing them and
    not in the least aware of their surroundings. Maybe those are the
    targets for a 'Darwin' event. It may not be a direct relation, but I did
    hear a story of a woman so involved in a cell phone conversation that
    she walked in front of a train.
    Be safe.
    Bill

  5. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > landotter wrote:
    >> Better yet, get rid of the in-ear phones and get some full cup cans
    >> which are further away from your ear bits. Not totally safe either at
    >> high volume, but better--and nicer sound as well. Cheap Sennheiser
    >> HD202s will blow the stock 'phones away. Don't wear them on your bike.
    >>

    > Definitely not on a bike, but I have seen pedestrians wearing them and not
    > in the least aware of their surroundings. Maybe those are the targets for
    > a 'Darwin' event. It may not be a direct relation, but I did hear a story
    > of a woman so involved in a cell phone conversation that she walked in
    > front of a train.
    > Be safe.
    > Bill

    Let's not start this again.

  6. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > landotter wrote:
    > >> Better yet, get rid of the in-ear phones and get some full cup cans
    > >> which are further away from your ear bits. Not totally safe either at
    > >> high volume, but better--and nicer sound as well. Cheap Sennheiser
    > >> HD202s will blow the stock 'phones away. Don't wear them on your bike.
    > >>

    > > Definitely not on a bike, but I have seen pedestrians wearing them and not
    > > in the least aware of their surroundings. Maybe those are the targets for
    > > a 'Darwin' event. It may not be a direct relation, but I did hear a story
    > > of a woman so involved in a cell phone conversation that she walked in
    > > front of a train.
    > > Be safe.
    > > Bill

    > Let's not start this again.

    Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

  7. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

    > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    > the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    Plus, if you play loud music while you ride, you yell "On Your Left" WAY
    too loud...

    --
    John Calnan
    http://www.calnan-web.com/weblog

  8. Marz

    Marz Guest

    landotter wrote:

    > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    > the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    Against the law where?

    Laters,

    Marz

  9. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Marz wrote:
    > landotter wrote:
    >
    > > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    > > the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    > Against the law where?

    Most US states have a law against wearing headphones and operating a
    vehicle. Exceptions exist for those stoopit cellie phone getups with
    one earphone--in *most* states.

  10. landotter

    landotter Guest

    John Calnan wrote:
    > > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    > > the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?
    > >

    > Plus, if you play loud music while you ride, you yell "On Your Left" WAY
    > too loud...

    Dude, like get a bell. It's uber L337. :-D

    Seriously though, I find that people process a "ding ding" a hell of a
    lot faster than the more complex "on yer left".

  11. Most, if not all, Canadian provinces ban the use of headphones while
    operating a vehicle.

    Jeff

  12. recycled-one

    recycled-one Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Most, if not all, Canadian provinces ban the use of headphones while
    > operating a vehicle.
    >
    > Jeff

    Do you have cite/site? My understanding was that Ontario bans full
    headphones that cover the entire ear but allow 'bud' earphones.

    I searched around the MTO site but couldn't find anything definitive.

  13. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>landotter wrote:
    >>
    >>>Better yet, get rid of the in-ear phones and get some full cup cans
    >>>which are further away from your ear bits. Not totally safe either at
    >>>high volume, but better--and nicer sound as well. Cheap Sennheiser
    >>>HD202s will blow the stock 'phones away. Don't wear them on your bike.
    >>>

    >>Definitely not on a bike, but I have seen pedestrians wearing them and not
    >>in the least aware of their surroundings. Maybe those are the targets for
    >>a 'Darwin' event. It may not be a direct relation, but I did hear a story
    >>of a woman so involved in a cell phone conversation that she walked in
    >>front of a train.
    >>Be safe.
    >>Bill

    > Let's not start this again.

    I didn't post that as a bicycle thing, just that there was an ear issue
    with volume. Preserve your ears at home so you can hear when riding.
    I don't expect anyone here to be dumb enough to wear phones AND ride.
    Bill

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    landotter wrote:
    > Gooserider wrote:

    >> Let's not start this again.

    > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike"
    > vs the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    He said smugly.

    How about the self-righteous "don't wear headphones because it's against the
    law on a bike" (horrible sentence structure, BTW) versus the "don't need no
    steenkin' ear-nanny bud police tellin' me what to do" retort?

    Choice is a good thing... BS

  15. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > I didn't post that as a bicycle thing, just that there was an ear issue
    > with volume. Preserve your ears at home so you can hear when riding.
    > I don't expect anyone here to be dumb enough to wear phones AND ride.
    > Bill

    But you posted it to a bike group so it's relavence to cycling will be
    discussed.

    I drive by sight and I ride by sight while I enjoy listening to music.
    I've always felt sorry for you simple folk who can't multi-task.

    Laters,

    Marz

  16. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 07:54:21 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    >the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    Where is it against the law? Not here, it ain't.

  17. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Most, if not all, Canadian provinces ban the use of headphones while
    > operating a vehicle.

    ....which is completely silly when high school kids and other bright
    sectors of society can upgrade their car's sound system so that it's
    loud enough to set off other cars' alarms and rattle my house's windows
    as they drive down the street.
    \\paul

  18. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > landotter wrote:
    > > Gooserider wrote:

    > >> Let's not start this again.

    > > Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike"
    > > vs the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    > He said smugly.
    >
    > How about the self-righteous "don't wear headphones because it's against the
    > law on a bike" (horrible sentence structure, BTW) versus the "don't need no
    > steenkin' ear-nanny bud police tellin' me what to do" retort?
    >
    > Choice is a good thing... BS

    Choice? It's against the law. All of your dry-drunk grandstanding can't
    change that.

    Anyway, shouldn't you be having lunch with Tom Delay, yet another
    pompous dry drunk? He's got plenty of time these days.

    I'm sorry that English is my second language and it offends you so.

    /sarcasm

  19. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Andrew Price wrote:
    > On 5 Apr 2006 07:54:21 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Oh the "don't wear headphones because it's againt the law on a bike" vs
    > >the smug "I'm so special I don't need to obey the law" discussion?

    > Where is it against the law? Not here, it ain't.

    Really? It's against the law in most states, including NY, VA, PA, TN,
    IL and so on.

    At any rate it's incredibly stupid, and even stupider is claiming that
    it's not stupid.

  20. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Marz wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    > > I didn't post that as a bicycle thing, just that there was an ear issue
    > > with volume. Preserve your ears at home so you can hear when riding.
    > > I don't expect anyone here to be dumb enough to wear phones AND ride.
    > > Bill

    > But you posted it to a bike group so it's relavence to cycling will be
    > discussed.
    >
    > I drive by sight and I ride by sight while I enjoy listening to music.
    > I've always felt sorry for you simple folk who can't multi-task.

    I've always been annoyed by the pod-deaf people that can't hear my bike
    bell.

    It has nothing to do with multitasking, it's akin to saying that it's
    just as safe to drive at night with sunglasss on. Completely aburd
    reasoning.