? for master wheel builders like Jude

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    reading lots of wheel building articles linked to various spoke calc sites and have noticed there
    are several ways to determine ERD. My ? to the masters is--Which ERD method do you like to use.

    Tags:

  2. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    Bill I had Jude build me a wheel last year. He swedged on new threads after cutting my spokes and
    got the length perfect with radial spokes I might add. I used a late model Campagnolo hub and in
    comparison testing it spins about twice as long as any other wheel that I have. Although that is a
    subject of another topic.

    I am not a great wheel builder but I do build serviceable, true wheels. I use the Trial and Error
    method to get the spoke length right. I have found that using a cross-3 pattern really helps
    minimize the spoke length equation errors. The flange diameter differences are almost washed out
    when the spokes leave the hub at a tangent.

    Going for century #8 today. Dave Balfour

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > reading lots of wheel building articles linked to various spoke calc sites and have noticed there
    > are several ways to determine ERD. My ? to the masters is--Which ERD method do you like to use.

  3. When I need to make spokes for a wheel that I am building, I measure the distance from where the
    'head' of the spoke nipple seats, to the same place 180 degrees around the rim. (which is straight
    across the diameter)

    A piece of 1/8" welding wire works really well for this.

    I have a small piece of tube, which is a slip fit on the 1/8" rod and it seats on the place where
    the nipple will be. The rod slides through till it is flush with where the nipple seats on the
    opposite side of the rim. I then, carefully, withdraw the welding rod, so as to be sure my little
    piece of tubing does not move and measure the exposed length of welding rod.

    Trust me, it is a lot easier to USE this method than it is for me to sit here and type it up. :)

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    ...................... [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > reading lots of wheel building articles linked to various spoke calc sites and have noticed there
    > are several ways to determine ERD. My ? to the masters is--Which ERD method do you like to use.

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I have a small piece of tube, which is a slip fit on the 1/8" rod and it seats on the place where
    > the nipple will be. The rod slides through till it is flush with where the nipple seats on the
    > opposite side of the rim. I then, carefully, withdraw the welding rod, so as to be sure my little
    > piece of tubing does not move and measure the exposed length of welding rod.

    There's a tool that was distributed with the Wheelsmith spoke calculator that did exactly this.

    In reality, the *exact* measurement need not be that precise... unless the spokes come out too
    short. :) It's OK if the spokes come all the way through the nipple and project out the backside-
    this indicates that the threads have full engagement. If the spoke projects too far, though, you'll
    bottom the nipple threads or have to file off the end of the spoke. Neither alternative is fun.

    An alternative is to see if any of the spokke calculator databases at
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#length lists the rim you're using. If all else fails,
    ask the list.

    Jeff