After moving to my new house last year the quickest route to work is along side the A40 from the Target roundabout to Swakleys, (for those that don't know it, the A40 is effectively a motorway, but does have a combined use path alongside). Whilst I don't always go this way, as I said it is definitely the quickest.
<historical bit>
Last year I got very fed up with a section of the path being constatly blocked by builders rubbish (rubble, furniture etc), with teh result that the surface was breaking up due to the vans/trucks driving along it when it wasn;t designed for that type of use. Speaking to the local councilor resulted in my complaint being taken up by TFL as they apparently are responsible for the main roads. Spoke to them and I suggested that they put a bollard at the entrance to teh path where the dumpong was taking place.
After 8 months nothing happened.
</historical bit>
A few weeks ago, the whole of the shared use path (well to be honest it is effectively a cycle path, as no-one really walks along it) was dug up, causing a few problems rushing to work, however after 6 weeks, all the diggers, cable layers etc have gone, and we now have a beautifully tarmaced surface to ride along! Only problem is they haven't put any bollards up, so only time will tell if the dumping will start again, and teh surface will break up, but until then even ruhing to wrk seems like fun.
Bryan