For Power and Strength!!

Karp

Jan 5, 2004
Hi!

I am pretty much a newbie, and have ridden about 1000 miles so far and I have still some miles to go before I have finished my base. The thing is.... I have noticed that I lack power. I can ride pretty strong uphills, but I don´t have any TT qualities. I am 17 years old, and have trained tennis on a competitive level for my whole life so I am pretty fit and I have noticed that I do have the endurance to ride for hours without getting too tiered, but when it´s coming to the TTs, or when I have to ride hard on flats, I just die...

I am 180cm/5´11 and 67 kg/147 lbs.

Maybe I don´t have the body for TTs?

I would be glad if you could give me some advide on how to train when I have finished my base.

cheers :D

Originally posted by Karp
Hi!

I am pretty much a newbie, and have ridden about 1000 miles so far and I have still some miles to go before I have finished my base. The thing is.... I have noticed that I lack power. I can ride pretty strong uphills, but I don´t have any TT qualities. I am 17 years old, and have trained tennis on a competitive level for my whole life so I am pretty fit and I have noticed that I do have the endurance to ride for hours without getting too tiered, but when it´s coming to the TTs, or when I have to ride hard on flats, I just die...

I would be glad if you could give me some advide on how to train when I have finished my base.

I'd recommend a coach and resistance training, but my second recommendation of resistance training would get shot down in a second in this forum. (Resistance training doesn't seem to be important to anyone here, but please don't disregard it after reading the opinions only in this forum) Sooo, look for a good coach. Ask a lot of questions and find out which certifications and what type of education the coach has.

There's a whole lot to talk about as far as how to train. You're still really young, and have a lot of time to train, so I think your time is best spent learning as much as you can through these forums and through a coach.
Enjoy!

Hi!

Karp,

I have a similar body weight/height as you do... slightly heavier.... yet 12-years older.... and maybe a little wiser.

Do you have a Favorite road that you like to ride(specific road... or loop) ??? If so, I'd recommend going to that road.... once per week is good...... and do 2-3 time trial intervals on it(either the entire duration of the road... or 5-7 minute spurts) .

I personally enjoy riding a road HARD....... , that has some kind of importance to me. I have several roads by where I live that remind me of certain events that have happened in my life , then when I return to them... it gives me an insiration to WANT to ride Fast/Smart.... and enjoy my time fully on every outing.

Basically , when your ready to ride Hard(after your "base") ....... expect 1-2 days per week that are going to be strenuous(physically... and probably a bit mentally) ..... but what seperates the GOOD riders(good at TT, road, etc.) from the not so good riders , is your ability to tolerate PAIN at high levels... and sustain a high level of output for Extended periods of time +and enjoy doing so :)

Thats the difference.

Originally posted by rkohler
I'd recommend a coach and resistance training, but my second recommendation of resistance training would get shot down in a second in this forum. (Resistance training doesn't seem to be important to anyone here, but please don't disregard it after reading the opinions only in this forum) Sooo, look for a good coach. Ask a lot of questions and find out which certifications and what type of education the coach has.

but there isn't any evidence it's beneficial for trained endurance riders. additionally, there's no reason (i.e., underlying science) to think it would be beneficial.

additionally, there's equivocal data to suggest it's good for BMD, and i don't think as good as medical intervention (andy coggan will know more about this than me).

ric

Hi!

I think the legal profession refer to your statement as "Asked and Answered" meaning you asked a question and answered it in the same statement, in your case the otherway around.....

the problem = "I have noticed that I lack power."

the answer = "and have ridden about 1000 miles so far and I have still some miles to go before I have finished my base".

at 67kg with a good general fitness you will have a natural advantage of hills. You have not, however, completed your base or begun quality work. Your ability to sustain power will come after this (all things being equal).

On the resistance training issue I too was not 100% sure.....so I read, asked collated and processed...bottom line is every profesional (health and fitness industry) I spoke to agreed....it has some benefit for sprinters only.