For Shelly

Darsh

Guest
I met Shelly today while climbing Pyramid Peak. I had seen her, but had not met her. I watched her
climb to the saddle at 13,000'. I watched in amazement as she crossed a very trecherous
cornice/ridge of snow.

I was perched in a tiny little rock area about 700' above her. The perch was about 3'x3'. It was on
the side of the face of Pyramid. I watched from my perch. I was decending the pale crux of the hill.
I started at about
3:30 in the morning. It was good I did because there was a lot of routing in the snow on the way up.
On the way down there is no other way but slow and careful. If you mis-step the first 1000' down,
you basically die.

I watched Shelly lose her footing and luge forward. She had turned back, and was going down. I saw
her legs sort of "flipper", then she was out of site. I wondered if my head was playing tricks on
me. She was a long way down. How could I have even seen something like that?

I packed up my jerky, and finished my hot soup. I tossed the last bit of turkey sandwich into my
mouth, and put my pack on. I did not move fast. There is no way to move fast. I began to continue my
downclimb. I could not hurry, and I would not hurry.

I came across Shelly at the exact point she impacted. She had been bleeding pretty bad, and her nose
was pretty busted up inside and out. Her wrist looked like it got smashed in a vault door. She was
actually doing pretty good considering.

We cleaned the blood, and I gave her the velcro splint I had on my own screwed up wrist. We laughed
about that. I gave her 800mg of Ibuprofen that I always have with me for altitude problems in
others. We began to climb down. On the way I told her about this group, mountainbikes, why I was
climbing, and about everything else under the sun I could think about. She was doing so well
considering. I tried to explain how well she was doing, but it always came out a bit morbid... hehe.

It turns out that she is primarily a mountainbiker. She did not want to go with the others from camp
on the Maroon Bells traverse, so she was doing Pyramid alone. We certainly laughed about that.

We got back to the trail, and I hiked her up to Crater lake, and her camp. Her entire party was
there, as they had to back off of Maroon early due to uneasy nerves of a few members.

Shelly was OK. She was a trooper. Her wrist actually looked OK after she took the brace off. It
certainly looked a lot better anyway. I knew two of the guys in her camp that were from
Carbondale. We exchanged some information for future 14er climbing. I had no idea they ever got
off the couch! (hehe)

So Shelly said she is sticking to mountainbikeing. I told her about the group, and I said I would
say a few words... hehe.

darsh

On a side note.

When I got down to Maroon Lake, with my helmet on and ice axe still in hand, I was immediately
accousted by forest serverce employees and volunteers on the trail.

They all knew that I was the only one to go up Pyramid all day. They wondered how I was done so
early (2:00). I told them I hiked for hours in the dark, and I did. They were happy to see me.

Shelly didn't sign in. She started from Crater lake and made her way down to the trail. With the
keen eye the forest service seems to keep, they had no idea she was up there.

I wondered how long it would have taken for the forest service to send out the troops for me had I
been injured and late. My official "Wilderness Pass" said that I would only be there for the day. I
had a copy, and they had a copy.....

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pjNJa.4129$XG4.1979@rwcrnsc53...
> On a side note.
>
> When I got down to Maroon Lake, with my helmet on and ice axe still in
hand,
> I was immediately accousted by forest serverce employees and volunteers on the trail.
>
> They all knew that I was the only one to go up Pyramid all day. They wondered how I was done so
> early (2:00). I told them I hiked for hours in the dark, and I did. They were happy to see me.
>
> Shelly didn't sign in. She started from Crater lake and made her way down to the trail. With the
> keen eye the forest service seems to keep, they
had
> no idea she was up there.
>
> I wondered how long it would have taken for the forest service to send out the troops for me had I
> been injured and late. My official "Wilderness Pass" said that I would only be there for the day.
> I had a copy, and they had a copy.....

Damn. That's a helluva thing to see! I'm glad she was alright. She's pretty lucky you happened to
see her. Pretty amazing really.

Maybe that's why you have to be off your bike for a while (if you believe in things being meant to
be - I'm not sure yet).

Anyway - nice job! Way to keep cool and do the right thing. Is she single? Are you?

Matt (I can often see Pyramid from this side)

"Darsh" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:pjNJa.4129$XG4.1979@rwcrnsc53...
> On a side note.
>
> When I got down to Maroon Lake, with my helmet on and ice axe still in
hand,
> I was immediately accousted by forest serverce employees and volunteers on the trail.
>
> They all knew that I was the only one to go up Pyramid all day. They wondered how I was done so
> early (2:00). I told them I hiked for hours in the dark, and I did. They were happy to see me.
>
> Shelly didn't sign in. She started from Crater lake and made her way down to the trail. With the
> keen eye the forest service seems to keep, they
had
> no idea she was up there.
>
> I wondered how long it would have taken for the forest service to send out the troops for me had I
> been injured and late. My official "Wilderness Pass" said that I would only be there for the day.
> I had a copy, and they had a copy.....

I hope her recovery goes well. If you had not seen her, she would have had a rough time getting out
on her own. I guess this is an argument for the buddy system.

-Dave

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I met Shelly today while climbing Pyramid Peak. I had seen her, but had not met her. I watched her
> climb to the saddle at 13,000'. I watched in amazement as she crossed a very trecherous
> cornice/ridge of snow.
>
> I was perched in a tiny little rock area about 700' above her. The perch was about 3'x3'. It was
> on the side of the face of Pyramid. I watched from my perch. I was decending the pale crux of the
> hill. I started at about
> 3:30 in the morning. It was good I did because there was a lot of routing in the snow on the way
> up. On the way down there is no other way but slow and careful. If you mis-step the first 1000'
> down, you basically die.
>
> I watched Shelly lose her footing and luge forward. She had turned back, and was going down. I saw
> her legs sort of "flipper", then she was out of site. I wondered if my head was playing tricks on
> me. She was a long way down. How could I have even seen something like that?
>
> I packed up my jerky, and finished my hot soup. I tossed the last bit of turkey sandwich into my
> mouth, and put my pack on. I did not move fast. There is no way to move fast. I began to continue
> my downclimb. I could not hurry, and I would not hurry.
>
> I came across Shelly at the exact point she impacted. She had been bleeding pretty bad, and her
> nose was pretty busted up inside and out. Her wrist looked like it got smashed in a vault door.
> She was actually doing pretty good considering.
>
> We cleaned the blood, and I gave her the velcro splint I had on my own screwed up wrist. We
> laughed about that. I gave her 800mg of Ibuprofen that I always have with me for altitude
> problems in others. We began to climb down. On the way I told her about this group,
> mountainbikes, why I was climbing, and about everything else under the sun I could think about.
> She was doing so well considering. I tried to explain how well she was doing, but it always came
> out a bit morbid... hehe.
>
> It turns out that she is primarily a mountainbiker. She did not want to go with the others
> from camp on the Maroon Bells traverse, so she was doing Pyramid alone. We certainly laughed
> about that.
>
> We got back to the trail, and I hiked her up to Crater lake, and her camp. Her entire party was
> there, as they had to back off of Maroon early due to uneasy nerves of a few members.
>
> Shelly was OK. She was a trooper. Her wrist actually looked OK after she took the brace off. It
> certainly looked a lot better anyway. I knew two of the guys in her camp that were from
> Carbondale. We exchanged some information for future 14er climbing. I had no idea they ever got
> off the couch! (hehe)
>
> So Shelly said she is sticking to mountainbikeing. I told her about the group, and I said I would
> say a few words... hehe.
>
> darsh

You're Batman.

JD

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So Shelly said she is sticking to mountainbikeing. I told her about the group, and I said I would
>say a few words... hehe.

Either way, gravity sucks. It's just that you enjoy it when riding a bike (unless it's trying to
suck you down the hill you're trying to
climb).

Soloing is a drastic thing to do though - I've done my share of climbing, but haven't been tempted
to do anything drastic while alone (well, other than that one unfortunate episode when I was about
12 and climbed into a small depression about 60 feet on a cliff and then couldn't find the foot
hold again).

"Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<PjNJa.4129$XG4.1979@rwcrnsc53>...
> On a side note.

<snip>

> Shelly didn't sign in. She started from Crater lake and made her way down to the trail. With the
> keen eye the forest service seems to keep, they had no idea she was up there.

Seems that people often take enter the back country without telling anyone. With all of the problems
close to campgrounds, most land managers are too over burdened to keep an eye out for those that
choose to let people know.

Google up what happened to George Mancuso, in the little colorado back in 2001. I believe he
disappeared on August 5th/7th .... and they didn't find the body until ~August 28th.

> I wondered how long it would have taken for the forest service to send out the troops for me had I
> been injured and late. My official "Wilderness Pass" said that I would only be there for the day.
> I had a copy, and they had a copy.....

Unfortunately, they probably wopuldn't have started looking until someone from your family reported
you over due. At that point, someone would go back and pull your permit .... then again if a family
member or friend doesn't call .... the search usually starts after they tow your "abandoned" car.

27, 1 and 1