For the price - are Pilot XC's a reasonable suspension fork?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    My LBS is about to install a set of Pilot XC's for $400 including the chance to pay in installments.
    Are these decent shocks for the price?

    TIA

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Noat bad.....

    Pretty good for Oz. I think they are alright forx from all accounts. And you can't complain about
    lay-by while you ride.

    But for cheap parts, I have moved away from the LBS and been using mail order.

    There are some good places in Oz now.

    Jeremy

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My LBS is about to install a set of Pilot XC's for $400 including the
    chance
    > to pay in installments. Are these decent shocks for the price?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Trentus

  3. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Trentus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My LBS is about to install a set of Pilot XC's for $400 including the
    chance
    > to pay in installments. Are these decent shocks for the price?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Trentus

    New fork so limited feed back. but witht he experiance working with Rock Shox these forks are about
    as a long term option as a Gillette rasor. Steel inner legs (heavy) same outers as Sids (flexy) and
    a damping system that does not offer compression damping and very little in the way of rebound. You
    can get a 20% disocount from Rock Shox when you trade in any old forks. I would check out Marzocchi
    EXR forks and Manitou Axel Super or Skareb Comp

  4. Frosty K

    Frosty K Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My LBS is about to install a set of Pilot XC's for $400 including the
    chance
    > to pay in installments. Are these decent shocks for the price?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Trentus

    My Fisher came with one stock. It does the trick, but feels flexy in a hard turn. It really seems
    like a re-branded Judy xc.

    Forrest

  5. Frosty K wrote:

    > My Fisher came with one stock. It does the trick, but feels flexy in a hard turn. It really seems
    > like a re-branded Judy xc.
    >
    > Forrest

    The Pilot has larger uppers than the Judy series. They look to be the size of those on a Duke.

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My LBS is about to install a set of Pilot XC's for $400 including the
    > chance
    > > to pay in installments. Are these decent shocks for the price?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Trentus
    > >

    > My Fisher came with one stock. It does the trick, but feels flexy in a hard turn. It really seems
    > like a re-branded Judy xc.
    >
    > Forrest

    Oh no you've discovered their secret, take the only fork in their line that's simple enough to
    actually hold together for a year or so and make 15 variations on it with different names.
    --
    _________________________

  7. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > its on my haro at the moment....... gonna try to get a good fork soon.... found a place here in
    > portland that has screaming deals on forks....they had a 99 model rock shox jett fork for $49!!

    Oh boy, this'll be good...

    Bill "haro-ing" S.

  9. lone wolf wrote:

    > its on my haro at the moment....... gonna try to get a good fork soon.... found a place here in
    > portland that has screaming deals on forks....they had a 99 model rock shox jett fork for $49!!
    > www.universalcycles.com
    >
    > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

    Keep the RST and save the $49.

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > its on my haro at the moment....... gonna try to get a good fork soon.... found a place here in
    > > portland that has screaming deals on forks....they had a 99 model rock shox jett fork for $49!!
    >
    > Oh boy, this'll be good...
    >
    > Bill "haro-ing" S.

    Don't knock a Haro! ;-P

    I pretty much started seriously on a Haro and still ride it on and off. I certainly put some
    kilometres and mud on it. The g/f now rides it fairly frequently. Crappy '99 model Jett shocks and
    all.... OK, so most of the components have been replaced at one time of another but I do still quite
    like the V frame. At the time, it was very very reasonable value amongst what was out there.

    Westie _(she was my first....)

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > its on my haro at the moment....... gonna try to get a good fork soon.... found a place here
    > > > in portland that has screaming deals on forks....they had a 99 model rock shox jett fork for
    > > > $49!!
    > >
    > > Oh boy, this'll be good...
    > >
    > > Bill "haro-ing" S.
    > >

    > Don't knock a Haro! ;-P
    >
    > I pretty much started seriously on a Haro and still ride it on and off. I certainly put some
    > kilometres and mud on it. The g/f now rides it fairly frequently. Crappy '99 model Jett shocks and
    > all.... OK, so most of the components have been replaced at one time of another
    but
    > I do still quite like the V frame. At the time, it was very very reasonable value amongst what was
    > out there.
    >
    > Westie _(she was my first....)

    I was commenting on the $49 Jett (harrowing/haro-ing), not the frame (Haro).

    Bill "always a good sign when you gotta 'splain your jokes" S.

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (lone wolf) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > its on my haro at the moment....... gonna try to get a good fork soon.... found a place here in
    > portland that has screaming deals on forks....they had a 99 model rock shox jett fork for $49!!
    > www.universalcycles.com
    >
    > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

    You may as well put a wet noodle on the front of your bike. If all you want to spend is $49, thats
    just about right for a Surly rigid fork, which will be better than that POS rs.

    JD

  13. Westie

    Westie Guest

    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > Don't knock a Haro! ;-P
    > >
    > > I pretty much started seriously on a Haro and still ride it on and off.
    > > certainly put some kilometres and mud on it. The g/f now rides it fairly frequently. Crappy '99
    > > model Jett shocks
    and
    > > all.... OK, so most of the components have been replaced at one time of another
    > but
    > > I do still quite like the V frame. At the time, it was very very reasonable value amongst what
    > > was out
    there.

    > > Westie _(she was my first....)
    >
    > I was commenting on the $49 Jett (harrowing/haro-ing), not the frame
    (Haro).

    > Bill "always a good sign when you gotta 'splain your jokes" S.

    :)

    S'alright. I was kinda posting tongue in cheek anyways. The shock _was_ atrocious. But, of course, I
    didn't know any better.

    Westie

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > > Don't knock a Haro! ;-P
    > > >
    > > > I pretty much started seriously on a Haro and still ride it on and
    off.
    > > > certainly put some kilometres and mud on it. The g/f now rides it fairly frequently. Crappy
    > > > '99 model Jett shocks
    > and
    > > > all.... OK, so most of the components have been replaced at one time of
    another
    > > but
    > > > I do still quite like the V frame. At the time, it was very very reasonable value amongst what
    > > > was out
    > there.
    > > >
    > > > Westie _(she was my first....)
    > >
    > > I was commenting on the $49 Jett (harrowing/haro-ing), not the frame
    > (Haro).
    > >
    > > Bill "always a good sign when you gotta 'splain your jokes" S.
    > >

    > :)
    >
    > S'alright. I was kinda posting tongue in cheek anyways. The shock _was_ atrocious. But, of course,
    > I didn't know any better.

    Well, it's one thing to ride the shock that a bike comes with (for a while, anyway), but poor ol'
    Wolfie sounded like he was considering "upgrading" to a Jett! (Then he said he'd spend 3 or 400, so
    don't know why he even mentioned the Noodler.)

    Bill "arrrrooooooooooo {howl sound}" S.