For the safety of others, please keep off the highways

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brent Hugh, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    Some poor motorist who had to wait 5 seconds has posted her anti-bike diatribe for your amusement.

    Here is the link to the full article; below that is an excerpt:

    http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972

    --------------------

    MORRISON: Beware of bicycles Tuesday, July 15, 2003 By Joyce Morrison ([email protected])

    OPINION -- Beware of bicycles - they could be hazardous to your health.

    There are 55 bicycle trails in Illinois.

    In fact, within "bicycle distance" of where we live is the Chain of Rocks bridge. This bridge
    crosses the Mississippi River, which connects the Illinois bicycle trail beginning at Pere Marquette
    State Park near Grafton, Illinois, to the well-known Katy Trail in Missouri. The Chain of Rocks
    Bridge was recently renovated especially for pedestrians and bicycles and was paid for by we the
    taxpayers.

    With that wonderful recreational provision, why would 4,500 bikers (mainly from St. Louis) choose to
    make a 100 mile bike ride on roads already heavy with tourist traffic that are two lane, curvy,
    hilly roads under construction?

    That is what Derry Brownfield of the Common Sense Coalition would call "ignorance gone to seed."

    Last Sunday on our way to church, we had the "privilege" of having our patience tested. We were
    behind one batch of these bikers going up a normally busy road with a steep winding hill, blind
    curves, no road shoulder. And these bikers were not about to budge out of the way. To top it off,
    the road was freshly milled in preparation for a new surface.

    To see these two wheelers peddling up the hill with rear ends stuck in the air in tight fitting
    britches is a humorous sight. But it wouldn't have been funny to have seen one stretched out along
    the road with tire marks across him. These Sunday road warriors were literally risking their lives
    to prove they had the right.

    We were in our car. We had our seat belts on as required by the law - our insurance and license fees
    were paid. We had paid fuel tax when we purchased our gasoline. Now wouldn't you think that would
    give us a bit of a priority?

    What was that biker's investment that would give him the right to go down the middle of the highway?
    Bikers have no license, no vehicle insurance, no seat belts, no fuel tax. They are not making any
    contribution into the local economy in the way of tourism dollars. They had their own manned rest
    stops that furnished them with food and water, and they certainly can't pack home much from the
    local shops on the back of their bikes or in those tight britches.

    . . .

    Bicycles have been around for a long time and brought joy to many. If used responsibly, a bicycle is
    a wonderful source of exercise and recreation. But are we being prepared to be forced to use
    bicycles for our major mode of transportation? Could it be this activity is purposely being placed
    into an elitist status with no restrictions and licensing in an effort to lure people into this
    mental mode?

    If you are a biker, please ride responsibly on a trail that has been provided for your
    entertainment, and for your own safety and the safety of others, please keep off the highways.
    --------------------

    --Brent bhugh [at] mwsc.edu

    Tags:

  2. >There are 55 bicycle trails in Illinois.

    And how many roads are there in Illinois?

    --

    ****** OSCAR THE GROUCH IS COOL!!! *******
    * (And so is Men At Work! And Pete Rose!) *

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  3. "Brent Hugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Some poor motorist who had to wait 5 seconds has posted her anti-bike diatribe for your amusement.
    >
    > Here is the link to the full article; below that is an excerpt:
    >
    > http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972
    >
    > --------------------

    Her bio at the end of the article says she's a chapter leader for Concerned Women of America. I
    guess they needed something new to be concerned about, now that the war in Iraq is (cough) over. And
    what's with the "tight shorts" fixation? I think we all know the answer to that.

    "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!"

  4. Holy crap, I was going to write that lady in hopes of talking sense, but further reading of that
    article reveals a truly warped mind:

    "Are these groups really into recreation and exercise, or are they being mentally trained for the
    Sustainable Communities where bicycles will be a way of life? Automobiles are not popular in
    Sustainable Communities. They may never be totally outlawed as people would protest too much, but
    they can price the middle class out of affording a vehicle. If there is no gasoline, or it is so
    expensive you cannot afford it, what good is the car? Only the rich and elite would own and drive
    cars in a Sustainable Community.

    Smart Growth, which passed in Illinois last year, is the design for Sustainable Communities. This is
    where everything we need is stacked together, and we can ride our bicycles and walk for most of our
    needs and use mass transit for any other needed travel."

    Jesus, people, get off those bikes before you're all turned into horrible, environmentally
    responsible zombies!

    "Brent Hugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Some poor motorist who had to wait 5 seconds has posted her anti-bike diatribe for your amusement.
    >
    > Here is the link to the full article; below that is an excerpt:
    >
    > http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Her bio at the end of the article says she's a chapter leader for
    Concerned
    > Women of America. I guess they needed something new to be concerned about, now that the war in
    > Iraq is (cough) over. And what's with the "tight
    shorts"
    > fixation? I think we all know the answer to that.
    >
    > "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!"

    That whole diatribe made me want to puke! I didn't see the writer's credentials as part of the
    Concerned Women of America. It figures, though. The whole article was nothing but elitist drivel
    typical of the far-right. What the? Don't Republicans ride bikes or is it only for us lower
    forms of life?

    Pat in TX

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Brent Hugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Some poor motorist who had to wait 5 seconds has posted her anti-bike diatribe for your amusement.
    >
    > Here is the link to the full article; below that is an excerpt:
    >
    > http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972

    > Bicycles have been around for a long time and brought joy to many. If used responsibly, a bicycle
    > is a wonderful source of exercise and recreation. But are we being prepared to be forced to use
    > bicycles for our major mode of transportation? Could it be this activity is purposely being placed
    > into an elitist status with no restrictions and licensing in an effort to lure people into this
    > mental mode?

    I thought is was the typical, misinformed, logic-challenged, rant of an indignant motorist until I
    got to the last paragraph, which I think reveals pretty paranoid thoughts. Going to the original
    article, she raises the specter of bicycles displacing (via conspiracy) automobile use by the
    middle-class. Wacko! What kind of paper is that, anyway?

  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I want to go in the opposite direction. There should be a law that every road in the US has at least
    a 2' sholder to walk, or bike on. In NJ I do a lot of walking/riding on roads with no sholder at
    all. Even I you are in a car-what happens if your car breaks down? Roads with no sholders are
    extreamely dangerous.

  8. CWA is a conservative fundamentalist organization, BTW. One of the Denver papers quoted one of
    their leaders this morning railing against Bravo (the cable TV network) for ruining the children
    of America with their two new gay TV shows. CWA's website is says the group's intent is to put the
    bible into all areas of public policy. Now my question is, how does riding a bicycle on a
    publicly-paid for road fit in with that philosophy, since the author saw fit to ID herself as a
    CWA member.

    Marianne

    "The Causey Way" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Brent Hugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Some poor motorist who had to wait 5 seconds has posted her anti-bike diatribe for your
    > > amusement.
    > >
    > > Here is the link to the full article; below that is an excerpt:
    > >
    > > http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972
    > >
    > > --------------------
    >

    > Her bio at the end of the article says she's a chapter leader for
    Concerned
    > Women of America. I guess they needed something new to be concerned about, now that the war in
    > Iraq is (cough) over. And what's with the "tight
    shorts"
    > fixation? I think we all know the answer to that.
    >
    > "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!"

  9. Mark Weaver

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > That whole diatribe made me want to puke! I didn't see the writer's credentials as part of the
    > Concerned Women of America. It figures,
    though.
    > The whole article was nothing but elitist drivel typical of the far-right.

    Drivel, yes. But this woman is no part of any elite. She lives in downstate Illinois and in a state
    of constant resentment of Chicago and those 'rich, liberal, elite, snotty' urban types from northern
    Illinois who (in her mind) add insult to injury by coming downstate on the weekends to ride their
    bikes and get in the way.

    > What the? Don't Republicans ride bikes or is it only for us lower forms
    of
    > life?

    No, nobody out there in the corn fields rides bikes (Republicans or Democrats if there are
    any)--except maybe the kids who happen to live in town.

    I love the detail that she was on her way to church when the inspiration for this rant struck her.

    In her possible defense, though -- the other slow moving vehicles down there that tend to obstruct
    traffic are tractors and combines. And the farmers driving those will go to some trouble to get as
    far to the side as possible and even pull over and stop to let cars around. I would hope bicyclists
    would be equally courteous. There's no reason to have a long line of frustrated drivers stuck behind
    you when pulling over for a couple of seconds would save everybody a lot of frustration.

    Mark

  10. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "Marianne Goodland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > CWA is a conservative fundamentalist organization, BTW. One of the Denver papers quoted one of
    > their leaders this morning railing against Bravo (the cable TV network) for ruining the children
    > of America with their two new
    gay
    > TV shows. CWA's website is says the group's intent is to put the bible
    into
    > all areas of public policy. Now my question is, how does riding a bicycle
    on
    > a publicly-paid for road fit in with that philosophy, since the author saw fit to ID herself as a
    > CWA member.
    >
    > Marianne

    I think it was when she mentioned she was on her way to church and the bike riders were not going to
    church....kind of a one-upmanship showing how virtuous she is, thus, by inference, her ideas are
    worth more than the bike riders' ideas.

    Pat in TX

  11. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > I love the detail that she was on her way to church when the inspiration
    for
    > this rant struck her.
    >
    > In her possible defense, though -- the other slow moving vehicles down
    there
    > that tend to obstruct traffic are tractors and combines. And the farmers driving those will go to
    > some trouble to get as far to the side as
    possible
    > and even pull over and stop to let cars around. I would hope bicyclists would be equally
    > courteous. There's no reason to have a long line of frustrated drivers stuck behind you when
    > pulling over for a couple of seconds would save everybody a lot of frustration.
    >
    > Mark

    Pardon me if I misread the original post, but I thought it was one of those sponsored rally-type
    rides that they were on. She did say that there were 4,500 of them. I just didn't like her snobby
    idea that all of them would pull over just for her!

    Pat

  12. "Mark Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > In her possible defense, though -- the other slow moving vehicles down there that tend to obstruct
    > traffic are tractors and combines. And the farmers driving those will go to some trouble to get as
    > far to the side as possible and even pull over and stop to let cars around. I would hope
    > bicyclists would be equally courteous. There's no reason to have a long line of frustrated drivers
    > stuck behind you when pulling over for a couple of seconds would save everybody a lot of
    > frustration.

    pulling over every few seconds? How do you propose to get anywhere on a bike, then?

  13. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    "...get anywhere on a bike...?" Bikes are toys. If you want to get anywhere then drive an Stupid
    Unnecessary Vehicle. (OOoh, I can't believe that I wrote that.)

    Compare the coverage of the motorist mowing down twenty bicycles in Floriduh with the eight dead and
    twentyish injured peds in Santa Monica Lewinsky today.

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mark Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
    >
    > > In her possible defense, though -- the other slow moving vehicles down
    there
    > > that tend to obstruct traffic are tractors and combines. And the
    farmers
    > > driving those will go to some trouble to get as far to the side as
    possible
    > > and even pull over and stop to let cars around. I would hope bicyclists would be equally
    > > courteous. There's no reason to have a long line of frustrated drivers stuck behind you when
    > > pulling over for a couple of seconds would save everybody a lot of frustration.
    >
    > pulling over every few seconds? How do you propose to get anywhere on a
    bike, then?

  14. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    Don't tell her, but those cyclists were on their way to the secret black helicopter base.

    >"Are these groups really into recreation and exercise, or are they being mentally trained for the
    >Sustainable Communities where bicycles will be a way of life? Automobiles are not popular in
    >Sustainable Communities. They may never be totally outlawed as people would protest too much, but
    >they can price the middle class out of affording a vehicle. If there is no gasoline, or it is so
    >expensive you cannot afford it, what good is the car? Only the rich and elite would own and drive
    >cars in a Sustainable Community.
    >
    >Smart Growth, which passed in Illinois last year, is the design for Sustainable Communities. This
    >is where everything we need is stacked together, and we can ride our bicycles and walk for most of
    >our needs and use mass transit for any other needed travel."
    >

    >Jesus, people, get off those bikes before you're all turned into horrible, environmentally
    >responsible zombies!

    Chris Neary [email protected]

    "Against stupidity even the gods struggle in vain" - Goethe

  15. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I thought is was the typical, misinformed, logic-challenged, rant of an indignant motorist until I
    > got to the last paragraph, which I think reveals pretty paranoid thoughts. Going to the original
    > article, she raises the specter of bicycles displacing (via conspiracy) automobile use by the
    > middle-class. Wacko! What kind of paper is that, anyway?

    Conservative, of course. And that old sow makes about as valid a case as most conservatives
    these days.

    Chalo Colina

  16. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That whole diatribe made me want to puke!

    It reminds me of Rosanne Rosannadanna flying off the handle, or the old B'Nai B'Rith public service
    advertisements that mock the attitudes of those with prejudiced attitudes.

    > Don't Republicans ride bikes or is it only for us lower forms of life?

    I think it's a rural Illinois thing. When I lived in downstate Illinois it was the worst eight years
    of my life riding a bike.

    I consider myself somewhat politically and religiously conservative. (Interestingly, my conservative
    friends consider me liberal partly because I ride a bike and generally support environmental
    causes.) My father is a hard-core Republican, but he also has always strongly supported protecting
    the environment -- he make M.V. look like a wishy- washy pansy in comparison. I grew up with my dad
    ranting about "earth- raper" dune buggies and corporate abuse of natural resources. He's been using
    solar power for close to twenty years now, and my parents' house now is almost completely solar
    powered. But I digress.

    Another group that's considered far-right is Focus on the Family. I don't know much about this ride,
    but they sponsor some sort of national cycling thing every year. They're based in Colorado Springs,
    which is a much more cycling-friendly area than southern Illinois.

    RFM
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    ..
    > >Conservative, of course. And that old sow makes about as valid a case as most conservatives
    > >these days.
    > >

    > Its not a conservative/libral issue. Being political requires thought of
    the
    > issues at hand, that article clearly showed no thought. I think the sight
    of
    > all the in shape men in front of her gave her a tingley sensation she
    hasent
    > felt in a while and since she cant "get any" she got frustrated. Did you
    see
    > her photo? Id bet she went to the pharmacy later that day to try to get
    some of

    Gabe

    I agree it shouldn't be a conservative/liberal issue, but the case here is that it was an outspoken
    conservative that took the time to write that screed against cyclists. Can you imagine a liberal
    writing such a thing?

    Pat in TX

  18. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    [email protected] (Brent Hugh) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=6972

    It gets better and better . . .

    Joyce gives us this gem:

    >I don't know about you, but our recreation and exercise is not paid for. For one thing, we have
    >little time for recreation these days trying to earn enough to pay the taxes that pay for bike
    >trails which bikers choose to avoid. Our exercise comes from our work.

    This brings up a little fact dug up by Bob Foster, chair of the Missouri Bicycle Federation:
    Joyce Morrison's husband, a farmer, has received $125,000 in payments from the USDA over a
    five-year period.

    For complete details, see http://www.ewg.org/farm/farmerdetail.php?pid=AYOH9G4

    Joyce Morrison--who portrays herself as a poor victim who has no time for recreation because she is
    so busy working to pay her onerous load of taxes--is actually a welfare queen who has almost
    certainly received more in government subsidy payments than she has paid in taxes over the last
    five years.

    Now that you know that, go back and re-read her spew of righteous indignation, all based on the
    "fact" that she is nothing but an honest, hard-workin', God-fearin' citizen who's literally being
    EATEN ALIVE by the high taxes the EVIL government is forcing her to pay. And meanwhile being put
    upon by a bunch of freeloading bicyclists who demand handout after handout and don't pay their
    fair share.

    As you're reading, try--just try--to avoid breaking out in GALES of laughter.

    I mean, take your handout if you must. But afterwards you just really, really, gotta lose the "I pay
    my fair share--get the freeloading losers out of my way" diatribes . . .

    --Brent bhugh [at] mwsc.edu

  19. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    17 Jul 2003 10:50:12 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (GABIKE) wrote:

    >>Conservative, of course. And that old sow makes about as valid a case as most conservatives
    >>these days.
    >>

    >Its not a conservative/libral issue. Being political requires thought of the issues at hand, that
    >article clearly showed no thought. I think the sight of all the in shape men in front of her gave
    >her a tingley sensation she hasent felt in a while and since she cant "get any" she got frustrated.
    >Did you see her photo? Id bet she went to the pharmacy later that day to try to get some of

    Or, maybe hubby was noticing some shapely feminine tush and that's why she's so pissed off.
    --
    zk

  20. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:40:48 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
    Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

    >Or, maybe hubby was noticing some shapely feminine tush .....

    Where? Where?

    /me looks around

    Oh, false alarm.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm sitting on my SPEED QUEEN ... To me, it's
    ENJOYABLE ... I'm WARM ... I'm VIBRATORY ...