For the Stanford Alumnus On Your Christmas List . . .

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by carl[email protected], Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Carl Fogel writes:

    http://tinyurl.com/a6rvx

    Thanks,

    Just what I need to go with my tear drop shaped red reflecting goggles
    and streamlined (long tail) helmet. The color would also complement
    my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.

    Jobst Brandt

  2. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:15:31 GMT,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Carl Fogel writes:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/a6rvx
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Just what I need to go with my tear drop shaped red reflecting goggles
    >and streamlined (long tail) helmet. The color would also complement
    >my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.
    >
    >Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.
    >
    >Jobst Brandt

    Dear Jobst,

    I've always thought that "Go Robber Barons!" would be a nice
    Biercean touch for Leland's followers:

    http://www.cateweb.org/CA_Authors/bierce.html

    [email protected]

  3. > Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.

    > Jobst Brandt

    Not quite. It's Cardinal, not plural.

    http://gostanford.collegesports.com/school-bio/stan-nickname-mascot.html

    "The Nickname: The nickname for Stanford is the Cardinal - in reference to
    one of the school colors (and is therefore in the singular). Stanford's
    history with its nickname began on March 19, 1891 when Stanford beat Cal in
    the first Big Game. While Stanford did not have an official nickname, the
    day after the Big Game local newspapers picked up the "cardinal" theme and
    used it in the headlines."

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  4. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:15:31 GMT, [email protected]
    wrote:

    >The color would also complement
    >my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    I've heard blue tires are faster and more "supple" feeling, yet more
    durable.

    So look for blue.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:15:31 GMT, [email protected]
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The color would also complement
    >>my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    > I've heard blue tires are faster and more "supple" feeling, yet more
    > durable.

    Only if aged.

    --
    ..dt

  6. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:ThyOe.10259$p%3.39400
    @typhoon.sonic.net:

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Just what I need to go with my tear drop shaped red reflecting goggles
    > and streamlined (long tail) helmet. The color would also complement
    > my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    See, I'm with Jobst here. I have often toyed with the idea of getting the
    WSU Cougars one, except, well, it's a bike jersey.

    And I don't want to be a person who wears a bike jersey.

    Go Cougs!

    -HW

  7. Rick

    Rick Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Carl Fogel writes:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a6rvx
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Just what I need to go with my tear drop shaped red reflecting goggles
    > and streamlined (long tail) helmet. The color would also complement
    > my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.
    >
    > Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.

    Jobst,

    Oops, it is Cardinal (color), not Cardinals (birds). Rather strange to
    name the team after a color and then use a tree as a mascot. Silly
    sods.

    - rick

    > Jobst Brandt

  8. Bicycling Science
    by David Gordon Wilson

    Building Bicycle Wheels
    by Robert Wright

    The Art of Wheelbuilding: A Bench Reference for Neophytes, Pros &
    Wheelaholics -- by Gerd Schraner;

  9. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    Now if only they would offer these jerseys in size small. This is the
    thing that peeves me about athletic stores like Dick's and Galyan's
    (now gone) is that they stock their "normal" range of adult sizes in
    their cycling departments which usually excludes size S. I don't see
    why the company that makes these jerseys sees enough demand for XXL but
    can't produce a small. There is certainly enough demand in the catalog
    market since the closeouts at Nashbar and Performance are often sold
    out of small before any other size.

  10. Rick

    Rick Guest

    amakyonin wrote:
    > Now if only they would offer these jerseys in size small. This is the
    > thing that peeves me about athletic stores like Dick's and Galyan's
    > (now gone) is that they stock their "normal" range of adult sizes in
    > their cycling departments which usually excludes size S. I don't see
    > why the company that makes these jerseys sees enough demand for XXL but
    > can't produce a small. There is certainly enough demand in the catalog
    > market since the closeouts at Nashbar and Performance are often sold
    > out of small before any other size.

    Perhaps the lack of them in the catalogs is not because they are sold
    out, but rather not made, at least not in appreciable quantities.

    The other side of the issue is that a Medium is a Small. In most
    shirts these days I wear either a small or a medium depending on mfr.
    In most jerseys I need a Large or XL. So as someone who often wears a
    Small in shirts but needs a L or XL in jerseys, I expect that a S in
    the jerseys would be fit for very, very small folks and that someone
    who usually wears a Small shirt would get along swimmingly in a Medium
    jersey.

    - rick

  11. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    amakyonin wrote:

    > I don't see
    > why the company that makes these jerseys sees enough demand for XXL but
    > can't produce a small.

    Have you already considered the numbers that go along with those sizes?

    Only in Loompaland is an XXL a 43-44 in men's sizes.

    > There is certainly enough demand in the catalog
    > market since the closeouts at Nashbar and Performance are often sold
    > out of small before any other size.

    Hm...when I shop closeouts too late, the only sizes left are usually the
    S or XS.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

  12. "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Carl Fogel writes:

    >> Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.

    > Jobst,
    >
    > Oops, it is Cardinal (color), not Cardinals (birds). Rather strange to
    > name the team after a color and then use a tree as a mascot. Silly
    > sods.
    >
    > - rick
    >

    >> Jobst Brandt

    Yes Stanford used to be called the Stanford Indians, guess the Native
    Americans of the Stanford Community wanted the change. I thought they would
    be proud to keep the name since there is the Florida State Seminoles, or the
    Atlanta Braves formally the Milwaukee Braves, and the Washington Redskins.
    Stanford does have a T-shirt: "It's the Color, not the Bird." Not sure if I
    fully accepted the name the Cardinals, I still refer to the school as "The
    Farm"
    There is a Stanford cycling team jersey, don't see as many as I used to. It
    is a very loud Cardinal red and white. Where are my shades?
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/images/large/stanfordFront.jpg
    -tom

  13. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Old Alum Jobst wrote:

    > Go Indians... oops, it's Go Cardinals these days.

    It's "cardinal", singular. Named after a color, not a flock of birds
    or religious types.

    I voted for Robber Barrons, which got the most votes by students. We
    were overruled.

  14. Tom Nakashima wrote:

    > Not sure if I fully accepted the name the
    > Cardinals...

    You shouldn't, because that's not the name (and never has
    been).

  15. Sniper Anon

    Sniper Anon Guest

    On 23-Aug-2005, [email protected] wrote:

    > Carl Fogel writes:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a6rvx
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Just what I need to go with my tear drop shaped red reflecting goggles
    > and streamlined (long tail) helmet. The color would also complement
    > my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    I see Fabrizio Mazzoleni finally got to Jobst Brandt. ;)

    --
    Sniper Anon

  16. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:15:31 GMT, [email protected]
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The color would also complement
    >>my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    > I've heard blue tires are faster and more "supple" feeling, yet more
    > durable.
    >
    > So look for blue.

    Naw, we now have published research saying red wins more often.

    (Half a smiley here)

    Mark

  17. On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:39:05 -0700, Mark Janeba
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:15:31 GMT, [email protected]
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The color would also complement
    >>>my black carbon bicycle and Rolf wheels with their dark red tires.

    >> I've heard blue tires are faster and more "supple" feeling, yet more
    >> durable.
    >>
    >> So look for blue.

    >Naw, we now have published research saying red wins more often.
    >
    >(Half a smiley here)
    >
    >Mark

    Dear Mark,

    http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050518/ap/d8a5pufo0.html