For the weight training guru's

That link crashed and burned on me.

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
the Good
> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
I was
> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
obviously
> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
appreciated.

http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=26
8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

> Joyce

Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted together. Or you could try this
one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link on the bottom left
side of the page.

Joyce

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That link crashed and burned on me.
>

>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
>the Good
>> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
>I was
>> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
>obviously
>> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
>appreciated.
>>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=26
>8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
>>
>> Joyce

The link split when I responded. It was whole when I tried it.

This site says they are 30lbs. I think adjustable weights are a good start in general for anyone.
I'm not real sure on the price, but $50 seems high to me.

Julie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted
together. Or
> you could try this one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link
> on the bottom left side of the page.
>
> Joyce
>
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >That link crashed and burned on me.
> >

> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
in
> >the Good
> >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
good?
> >I was
> >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
> >obviously
> >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
6
> >8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
> >>
> >> Joyce

Woops! You're right - 30 lbs, not sure where I got the 40 from. I'm not sure of pricing either, have
done very little looking around and prices seem to be all over the place. Individual handweights
seem to be less expensive, but then I'd have to buy more and have more storage area. Guess that was
what caught my eye on this set ... the rings take up less room than all the individual non-
adjustable hand weights. I really do hate making decisions. LOL

Joyce

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:37:16 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The link split when I responded. It was whole when I tried it.
>
>This site says they are 30lbs. I think adjustable weights are a good start in general for anyone.
>I'm not real sure on the price, but $50 seems high to me.
>
>Julie
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted
>together. Or
>> you could try this one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link
>> on the bottom left side of the page.
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >That link crashed and burned on me.

>in
>> >the Good
>good?
>> >I was
>> >obviously
>> >appreciated.
>> >>

>>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
>6
>> >8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the box
and try em. Walmart has free weights also, and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze
things to hold them on the bar, try Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze
things are very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them.
Our Sams had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were
pricey compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).

Joyce wrote:

> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in the Good Housekeeping
> magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this might be good
> enough for me, as well as my son who is obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
> info would be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
> =32186185
>
> Joyce

Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out later
:) ) is enough.

Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.

As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.

I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.

Take a look here

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

and here

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

to get started.

Cheers Marc

>Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or
>30 as you found out later :) ) is enough.
>
>Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
>
>As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
>
>I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
>
>Take a look here
>
>http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>
>and here
>
>http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
>
>to get started.

Great advice. 30 pounds is a bit light if it includes the bars. I started with a 50 kilo set
(100lbs), and that kept me going for a while. You can always add more weight later.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/202/182

Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at too many different types
and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good and what wasn't. I told sonny boy that
this was going to get done this week-end.

I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take me out there. I'll do some
looking and see what's around. I do think I am leaning more towards the adjustable weights though
and don't recall seeing any of those at our Wal-mart.

Joyce

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
>box and try em. Walmart has free weights also, and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze
>things to hold them on the bar, try Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze
>things are very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them.
>Our Sams had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were
>pricey compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
>the Good
>> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
>I was
>> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
>obviously
>> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
>appreciated.
>>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
>=32186185
>>
>> Joyce

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
>
>> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in the Good Housekeeping
>> magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this might be good
>> enough for me, as well as my son who is obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
>> info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKE-
>> N=32186185
>>
>> Joyce
>
>Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out later
>:) ) is enough.
>
>Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
>
>As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
>
>I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
>
>Take a look here
>
>http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>
>and here
>
>http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
>
>to get started.
>
>Cheers Marc

Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into them tomorrow. I am
definitely not looking towards powerlifting or bodybuilding, am only going for strength training. I
have 3 sports stores very near me, will head out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't
realize that the ways the plates secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that
this is something to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off on me.
<g>

Joyce

Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site. They are very nice actually.

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at
too many
> different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good
and
> what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
week-end.

> I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take
me out
> there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
leaning more
> towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of those
at our
> Wal-mart.
>
> Joyce
>
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
> >box and try em. Walmart has free weights
also,
> >and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze things to hold them on the bar,
try
> >Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze things
are
> >very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them. Our Sams
> >had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were pricey
> >compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).
> >
> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
in
> >the Good
> >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
good?
> >I was
> >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
> >obviously
> >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

> >> Joyce

Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about
the screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain
in the butt.

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Joyce wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
in the Good
> >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
good? I was
> >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
obviously
> >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
appreciated.

http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKE-
N=32186185

> >> Joyce
> >
> >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
> >later :) ) is enough.
> >
> >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
> >
> >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
> >
> >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
> >
> >Take a look here
> >
> >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
> >
> >and here
> >
> >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
> >
> >to get started.
> >
> >Cheers Marc
>
> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
them
> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
bodybuilding, am
> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
will head
> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
the plates
> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
something
> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
on me.
> <g>
>
> Joyce

Oh sure, now have me going back *that* route. hehehe Was targets price as high? Pooh - then I'd also
have to add sales tax. But it would be nice to see them first, and I did like the little storage
case. <G> If the wind stops blowing, I'm going to venture out and do some snooping today. The
weather is pretty bizarre - raining the past 24 hours, incredibly windy (power blinking on and off),
and was 57 when I retrieved the newspaper an hour ago!

Joyce

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:40:42 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site. They are very nice actually.
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at
>too many
>> different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good
>and
>> what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
>week-end.
>>
>> I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take
>me out
>> there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
>leaning more
>> towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of those
>at our
>> Wal-mart.
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
>> >box and try em. Walmart has free weights
>also,
>> >and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze things to hold them on the bar,
>try
>> >Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze things
>are
>> >very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them. Our Sams
>> >had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were pricey
>> >compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).

>in
>> >the Good
>good?
>> >I was
>> >obviously
>> >appreciated.
>> >>

>>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
>68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

Aha, another great point! I like screwy things myself, can handle them well as long as I convince
sonny boy not to put too much muscle into it when he puts them on. <g> His paws are huge! I'm
definitely looking for screw on ones - no pins or squeezy things. <G>

Joyce

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
>screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
>the butt.
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
><[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>in the Good
>good? I was
>obviously
>appreciated.
>> >>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
>=32186185

>> >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
>> >later :) ) is enough.
>> >
>> >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
>> >
>> >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
>> >
>> >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
>> >
>> >Take a look here
>> >
>> >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>> >
>> >and here
>> >
>> >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
>> >
>> >to get started.
>> >
>> >Cheers Marc
>>
>> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
>them
>> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
>bodybuilding, am
>> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
>will head
>> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
>the plates
>> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
>something
>> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
>on me.
>> <g>
>>
>> Joyce

I think they were in the $30 something range when I saw them there....'

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Oh sure, now have me going back *that* route. hehehe Was targets price
as high?
> Pooh - then I'd also have to add sales tax. But it would be nice to see
them
> first, and I did like the little storage case. <G> If the wind stops
blowing, I'm
> going to venture out and do some snooping today. The weather is pretty
bizarre -
> raining the past 24 hours, incredibly windy (power blinking on and off),
and was
> 57 when I retrieved the newspaper an hour ago!
>
> Joyce
>
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:40:42 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site.
They
> >are very nice actually.
> >
> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked
at
> >too many
> >> different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was
good
> >and
> >> what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
> >week-end.
> >>
> >> I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to
take
> >me out
> >> there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
> >leaning more
> >> towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of
those
> >at our
> >> Wal-mart.
> >>
> >> Joyce

> >also,
> >try
> >are

> >in
> >good?
> >> >>

>>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=
2
> >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped through
the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
>screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
>the butt.
>
>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
><[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>in the Good
>good? I was
>obviously
>appreciated.
>> >>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
>=32186185

>> >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
>> >later :) ) is enough.
>> >
>> >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
>> >
>> >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
>> >
>> >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
>> >
>> >Take a look here
>> >
>> >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>> >
>> >and here
>> >
>> >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
>> >
>> >to get started.
>> >
>> >Cheers Marc
>>
>> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
>them
>> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
>bodybuilding, am
>> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
>will head
>> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
>the plates
>> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
>something
>> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
>on me.
>> <g>
>>
>> Joyce

Oh sure, I was just on my way out the door and now you have me even more confused. <sigh> I think
I'm gonna need the weights to keep me from blowing away today. Boy is it nasty out.

Joyce

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:22:57 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
>square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped
>through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.
>
>On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
>>screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
>>the butt.
>>
>>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
>><[email protected]>

>>in the Good
>>good? I was
>>obviously
>>appreciated.
>>> >>

>>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
>>=32186185

>>> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
>>them
>>> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
>>bodybuilding, am
>>> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
>>will head
>>> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
>>the plates
>>> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
>>something
>>> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
>>on me.
>>> <g>
>>>
>>> Joyce

Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in themselves that screws onto the
bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of bar, and the plates would
be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.

> I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
> square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped
> through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.
>
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates
is
> >what I like about the screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I
got
> >with the squeeze thing are a real pain in the butt.
> >
> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
> ><[email protected]>

> >in the Good
> >good? I was
> >obviously
> >appreciated.
> >> >>

>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

> >> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
> >them
> >> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
> >bodybuilding, am
> >> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
> >will head
> >> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
> >the plates
> >> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this
is
> >something
> >> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling
off
> >on me.
> >> <g>
> >>
> >> Joyce

I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it past the dear boy. I found 2 sets ... one is
a 100 pound set, includes the handweights and also the barbell for going higher (not sure what the
kid wants) - was $60 at one of the sports stores. Options for the hand weight sets were slim, seems
the sports stores around me don't like to stock the sets. I found one 40 pound set for $20 but it
had plastic screw on collars ... I'm not ovely thrilled with the concept of using plastic, am afraid
it would break if constantly being changed (which could happen with multiple users). Target had a 40
pound set in the briefcase storage thing ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just be
laying in the box for storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The other option I ran into
was buying the plates individually and the gripper things individually - think I figured that would
also run around $40 for the same 40 pound set. Oh dear, whatever shall I do???

I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling shipping will cost a small fortune. What confused
me online was the description and picture ... picture looked like the steel screw on collar - but
description said *spring lock*. What am I messing up here?

Joyce