For the weight training guru's

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Joyce, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Tags:

  2. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    That link crashed and burned on me.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
    the Good
    > Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
    I was
    > thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    obviously
    > stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    appreciated.

    http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=26
    8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > Joyce

  3. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted together. Or you could try this
    one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link on the bottom left
    side of the page.

    Joyce

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That link crashed and burned on me.
    >

    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
    >the Good
    >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
    >I was
    >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    >obviously
    >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=26
    >8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
    >>
    >> Joyce

  4. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    The link split when I responded. It was whole when I tried it.

    This site says they are 30lbs. I think adjustable weights are a good start in general for anyone.
    I'm not real sure on the price, but $50 seems high to me.

    Julie

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted
    together. Or
    > you could try this one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link
    > on the bottom left side of the page.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >That link crashed and burned on me.
    > >

    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
    in
    > >the Good
    > >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
    good?
    > >I was
    > >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    > >obviously
    > >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    > >appreciated.
    > >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    6
    > >8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

  5. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Woops! You're right - 30 lbs, not sure where I got the 40 from. I'm not sure of pricing either, have
    done very little looking around and prices seem to be all over the place. Individual handweights
    seem to be less expensive, but then I'd have to buy more and have more storage area. Guess that was
    what caught my eye on this set ... the rings take up less room than all the individual non-
    adjustable hand weights. I really do hate making decisions. LOL

    Joyce

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:37:16 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The link split when I responded. It was whole when I tried it.
    >
    >This site says they are 30lbs. I think adjustable weights are a good start in general for anyone.
    >I'm not real sure on the price, but $50 seems high to me.
    >
    >Julie
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Looks like it got seperated by spacing maybe, so has to be pasted
    >together. Or
    >> you could try this one ... http://www.jimkaras.com click on the *good housekeeping special* link
    >> on the bottom left side of the page.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:57:51 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >That link crashed and burned on me.

    >in
    >> >the Good
    >good?
    >> >I was
    >> >obviously
    >> >appreciated.
    >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    >6
    >> >8&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

  6. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the box
    and try em. Walmart has free weights also, and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze
    things to hold them on the bar, try Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze
    things are very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them.
    Our Sams had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were
    pricey compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
    the Good
    > Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
    I was
    > thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    obviously
    > stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    appreciated.

    http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKE-
    N=32186185

    > Joyce

  7. Marc Heimann

    Marc Heimann Guest

    Joyce wrote:

    > Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in the Good Housekeeping
    > magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this might be good
    > enough for me, as well as my son who is obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
    > info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
    > =32186185
    >
    > Joyce

    Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out later
    :) ) is enough.

    Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.

    As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.

    I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.

    Take a look here

    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

    and here

    http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

    to get started.

    Cheers Marc

  8. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or
    >30 as you found out later :) ) is enough.
    >
    >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
    >
    >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
    >
    >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
    >
    >Take a look here
    >
    >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    >
    >and here
    >
    >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
    >
    >to get started.

    Great advice. 30 pounds is a bit light if it includes the bars. I started with a 50 kilo set
    (100lbs), and that kept me going for a while. You can always add more weight later.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk
    273/202/182

  9. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

  10. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at too many different types
    and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good and what wasn't. I told sonny boy that
    this was going to get done this week-end.

    I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take me out there. I'll do some
    looking and see what's around. I do think I am leaning more towards the adjustable weights though
    and don't recall seeing any of those at our Wal-mart.

    Joyce

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
    >box and try em. Walmart has free weights also, and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze
    >things to hold them on the bar, try Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze
    >things are very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them.
    >Our Sams had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were
    >pricey compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in
    >the Good
    >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good?
    >I was
    >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    >obviously
    >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
    >=32186185
    >>
    >> Joyce

  11. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised in the Good Housekeeping
    >> magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this might be good
    >> enough for me, as well as my son who is obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
    >> info would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKE-
    >> N=32186185
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >
    >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out later
    >:) ) is enough.
    >
    >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
    >
    >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
    >
    >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
    >
    >Take a look here
    >
    >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    >
    >and here
    >
    >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
    >
    >to get started.
    >
    >Cheers Marc

    Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into them tomorrow. I am
    definitely not looking towards powerlifting or bodybuilding, am only going for strength training. I
    have 3 sports stores very near me, will head out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't
    realize that the ways the plates secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that
    this is something to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off on me.
    <g>

    Joyce

  12. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site. They are very nice actually.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at
    too many
    > different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good
    and
    > what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
    week-end.

    > I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take
    me out
    > there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
    leaning more
    > towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of those
    at our
    > Wal-mart.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
    > >box and try em. Walmart has free weights
    also,
    > >and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze things to hold them on the bar,
    try
    > >Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze things
    are
    > >very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them. Our Sams
    > >had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were pricey
    > >compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
    in
    > >the Good
    > >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
    good?
    > >I was
    > >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    > >obviously
    > >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    > >appreciated.
    > >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > >> Joyce

  13. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about
    the screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain
    in the butt.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
    <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Joyce wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these advertised
    in the Good
    > >> Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40 pound limit
    good? I was
    > >> thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    obviously
    > >> stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would be greatly
    appreciated.

    http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKE-
    N=32186185

    > >> Joyce
    > >
    > >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
    > >later :) ) is enough.
    > >
    > >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
    > >
    > >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
    > >
    > >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
    > >
    > >Take a look here
    > >
    > >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    > >
    > >and here
    > >
    > >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
    > >
    > >to get started.
    > >
    > >Cheers Marc
    >
    > Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
    them
    > tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
    bodybuilding, am
    > only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
    will head
    > out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
    the plates
    > secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
    something
    > to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
    on me.
    > <g>
    >
    > Joyce

  14. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Oh sure, now have me going back *that* route. hehehe Was targets price as high? Pooh - then I'd also
    have to add sales tax. But it would be nice to see them first, and I did like the little storage
    case. <G> If the wind stops blowing, I'm going to venture out and do some snooping today. The
    weather is pretty bizarre - raining the past 24 hours, incredibly windy (power blinking on and off),
    and was 57 when I retrieved the newspaper an hour ago!

    Joyce

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:40:42 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site. They are very nice actually.
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked at
    >too many
    >> different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was good
    >and
    >> what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
    >week-end.
    >>
    >> I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to take
    >me out
    >> there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
    >leaning more
    >> towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of those
    >at our
    >> Wal-mart.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:54 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >That price is high. Go to Target if you have one near you, and look at these in person. Open the
    >> >box and try em. Walmart has free weights
    >also,
    >> >and Sears. Don't buy the ones that have the squeeze things to hold them on the bar,
    >try
    >> >Whatever holds them on if they are the plate ones. The squeeze things
    >are
    >> >very hard to use, and the screw on ones need to be tightened up each time you use them. Our Sams
    >> >had a beautiful set a month or so ago, with very clever easy to use connectors. They were pricey
    >> >compared to the ones at walmart (those were free weights that were not adjustible).

    >in
    >> >the Good
    >good?
    >> >I was
    >> >obviously
    >> >appreciated.
    >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

  15. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Aha, another great point! I like screwy things myself, can handle them well as long as I convince
    sonny boy not to put too much muscle into it when he puts them on. <g> His paws are huge! I'm
    definitely looking for screw on ones - no pins or squeezy things. <G>

    Joyce

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
    >screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
    >the butt.
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
    ><[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >in the Good
    >good? I was
    >obviously
    >appreciated.
    >> >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
    >=32186185

    >> >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
    >> >later :) ) is enough.
    >> >
    >> >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
    >> >
    >> >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
    >> >
    >> >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
    >> >
    >> >Take a look here
    >> >
    >> >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    >> >
    >> >and here
    >> >
    >> >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
    >> >
    >> >to get started.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers Marc
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
    >them
    >> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
    >bodybuilding, am
    >> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
    >will head
    >> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
    >the plates
    >> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
    >something
    >> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
    >on me.
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> Joyce

  16. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    I think they were in the $30 something range when I saw them there....'

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Oh sure, now have me going back *that* route. hehehe Was targets price
    as high?
    > Pooh - then I'd also have to add sales tax. But it would be nice to see
    them
    > first, and I did like the little storage case. <G> If the wind stops
    blowing, I'm
    > going to venture out and do some snooping today. The weather is pretty
    bizarre -
    > raining the past 24 hours, incredibly windy (power blinking on and off),
    and was
    > 57 when I retrieved the newspaper an hour ago!
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:40:42 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Target in our area has the set you had in the Good Housekeeping site.
    They
    > >are very nice actually.
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Thanks for the info. I really had no firm idea on prices, have looked
    at
    > >too many
    > >> different types and then realized I didn't have a clue as to what was
    good
    > >and
    > >> what wasn't. I told sonny boy that this was going to get done this
    > >week-end.
    > >>
    > >> I just gave up my sam's membership, might have to get my daughter to
    take
    > >me out
    > >> there. I'll do some looking and see what's around. I do think I am
    > >leaning more
    > >> towards the adjustable weights though and don't recall seeing any of
    those
    > >at our
    > >> Wal-mart.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

    > >also,
    > >try
    > >are

    > >in
    > >good?
    > >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=
    2
    > >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

  17. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
    square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped through
    the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
    >screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
    >the butt.
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
    ><[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >in the Good
    >good? I was
    >obviously
    >appreciated.
    >> >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
    >=32186185

    >> >Assuming your not into Powerlifting or hardcore Body Building 40 lbs (or 30 as you found out
    >> >later :) ) is enough.
    >> >
    >> >Head to a local sports store and have a look at the weights they have.
    >> >
    >> >As mentioned by previous posters pay close attention to the way the plates are secured.
    >> >
    >> >I've seen some that are using a screw thread to secure them. Easy, fast and secure.
    >> >
    >> >Take a look here
    >> >
    >> >http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    >> >
    >> >and here
    >> >
    >> >http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
    >> >
    >> >to get started.
    >> >
    >> >Cheers Marc
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
    >them
    >> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
    >bodybuilding, am
    >> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
    >will head
    >> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
    >the plates
    >> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
    >something
    >> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
    >on me.
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> Joyce

  18. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Oh sure, I was just on my way out the door and now you have me even more confused. <sigh> I think
    I'm gonna need the weights to keep me from blowing away today. Boy is it nasty out.

    Joyce

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:22:57 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
    >square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped
    >through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.
    >
    >On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates is what I like about the
    >>screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I got with the squeeze thing are a real pain in
    >>the butt.
    >>
    >>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
    >><[email protected]>

    >>in the Good
    >>good? I was
    >>obviously
    >>appreciated.
    >>> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN-
    >>=32186185

    >>> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
    >>them
    >>> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
    >>bodybuilding, am
    >>> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
    >>will head
    >>> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
    >>the plates
    >>> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this is
    >>something
    >>> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling off
    >>on me.
    >>> <g>
    >>>
    >>> Joyce

  19. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in themselves that screws onto the
    bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of bar, and the plates would
    be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.

    > I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
    > square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped
    > through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates
    is
    > >what I like about the screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I
    got
    > >with the squeeze thing are a real pain in the butt.
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:24:59 +0100, Marc Heimann
    > ><[email protected]>

    > >in the Good
    > >good? I was
    > >obviously
    > >appreciated.
    > >> >>

    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > >> Thanks for the info Marc, I've bookmarked the sites and will look into
    > >them
    > >> tomorrow. I am definitely not looking towards powerlifting or
    > >bodybuilding, am
    > >> only going for strength training. I have 3 sports stores very near me,
    > >will head
    > >> out tomorrow and do some investigating. I didn't realize that the ways
    > >the plates
    > >> secured were so different, am glad to have everyone tell me that this
    is
    > >something
    > >> to pay attention to. The last thing I need is those weights falling
    off
    > >on me.
    > >> <g>
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

  20. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it past the dear boy. I found 2 sets ... one is
    a 100 pound set, includes the handweights and also the barbell for going higher (not sure what the
    kid wants) - was $60 at one of the sports stores. Options for the hand weight sets were slim, seems
    the sports stores around me don't like to stock the sets. I found one 40 pound set for $20 but it
    had plastic screw on collars ... I'm not ovely thrilled with the concept of using plastic, am afraid
    it would break if constantly being changed (which could happen with multiple users). Target had a 40
    pound set in the briefcase storage thing ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just be
    laying in the box for storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The other option I ran into
    was buying the plates individually and the gripper things individually - think I figured that would
    also run around $40 for the same 40 pound set. Oh dear, whatever shall I do???

    I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling shipping will cost a small fortune. What confused
    me online was the description and picture ... picture looked like the steel screw on collar - but
    description said *spring lock*. What am I messing up here?

    Joyce