For the weight training guru's

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Joyce, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I suggest Joyce not worry. I have a feeling the OLD style bolt was probably dumped after consumer
    products safety commission review or something similar. I would watch out if buying USED stuff but
    have a feeling the type you describe, NEW, is what would generally be available.

    I've seen the ones you describe.

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in themselves that screws onto the
    >bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of bar, and the plates would
    >be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.
    >
    >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the little
    >> square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar slipped
    >> through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring clips.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:41:53 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Falling off is not the Major problem for me, ease of changing the plates
    >is
    >> >what I like about the screw on ones, and general durability. The ones I
    >got
    >> >with the squeeze thing are a real pain in the butt.

    >> ><[email protected]>

    >advertised
    >> >in the Good
    >> >good? I was
    >> >obviously
    >greatly
    >> >appreciated.
    >> >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=2
    >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    >(or

    >fast

    >> >them
    >> >bodybuilding, am
    >> >will head
    >> >the plates
    >is
    >> >something
    >off
    >> >on me.

  2. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    The spring lock is the thing you have to squeeze and you gotta be stronger than an ox to work
    the bugger

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it past the dear boy.
    I found
    > 2 sets ... one is a 100 pound set, includes the handweights and also the
    barbell
    > for going higher (not sure what the kid wants) - was $60 at one of the
    sports
    > stores. Options for the hand weight sets were slim, seems the sports
    stores
    > around me don't like to stock the sets. I found one 40 pound set for $20
    but it
    > had plastic screw on collars ... I'm not ovely thrilled with the concept
    of using
    > plastic, am afraid it would break if constantly being changed (which could
    happen
    > with multiple users). Target had a 40 pound set in the briefcase storage
    thing
    > ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just be laying in the
    box for
    > storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The other option I ran
    into was
    > buying the plates individually and the gripper things individually - think
    > figured that would also run around $40 for the same 40 pound set. Oh
    dear,
    > whatever shall I do???
    >
    > I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling shipping will cost a
    small
    > fortune. What confused me online was the description and picture ...
    picture
    > looked like the steel screw on collar - but description said *spring
    lock*. What
    > am I messing up here?
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in
    themselves
    > >that screws onto the bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of
    > >bar, and the plates would be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.
    > >
    > >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the
    > >> little square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar
    > >> slipped through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring
    > >> clips.

    > >is
    > >got

    > >advertised
    > >greatly
    > >> >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=
    2
    > >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > >(or

    > >fast

    > >is
    > >off

  3. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    I have not seen any of those old bolt connections for quite a while, some of my first ones had those
    and they came with an allen wrench to tighten em? Very screwy, very dangerous, slipped ALL the time

    > I suggest Joyce not worry. I have a feeling the OLD style bolt was probably dumped after consumer
    > products safety commission review or something similar. I would watch out if buying USED stuff but
    > have a feeling the type you describe, NEW, is what would generally be available.
    >
    > I've seen the ones you describe.
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in
    themselves
    > >that screws onto the bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of
    > >bar, and the plates would be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.
    > >
    > >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the
    > >> little square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar
    > >> slipped through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring
    > >> clips.

    > >is
    > >got

    > >advertised
    > >greatly
    > >> >> >>

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61&subcategory_id=
    2
    > >68&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > >(or

    > >fast

    > >is
    > >off

  4. Marc Heimann

    Marc Heimann Guest

    Joyce wrote:
    > I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it past the dear boy. I found 2 sets ... one
    > is a 100 pound set, includes the handweights and also the barbell for going higher (not sure what
    > the kid wants) - was $60 at one of the sports stores.

    Having a barbell around will allow for variety. But you can get one later, the weight plates will
    fit there.

    > Options for the hand weight sets were slim, seems the sports stores around me don't like to stock
    > the sets. I found one 40 pound set for $20 but it had plastic screw on collars ... I'm not ovely
    > thrilled with the concept of using plastic, am afraid it would break if constantly being changed
    > (which could happen with multiple users).

    Yes, avoid the plastic thingy at all costs!

    > Target had a 40 pound set in the briefcase storage thing ... sports authority had a 40 pound set
    > that would just be laying in the box for storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The
    > other option I ran into was buying the plates individually and the gripper things individually -
    > think I figured that would also run around $40 for the same 40 pound set. Oh dear, whatever
    > shall I do???

    I haven't checked the shipping cost on this online store, but the concept and price seems reasonable
    compared to what you have found.

    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1344900&cp=970177.693997&parentP-
    age=family

    They have the dumbbell handel too ($9,99 each
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=6037 )

    Their chrome set in a box looks like using a threaded handle too.

    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1201688&cp=710956.710958.694000&paren-
    tPage=family

    Whatever choice you make, it can't be wrong. Get a set and start working with it.

    If you find out that you need more/different weights just buy some new plates and/or a barbell.

    Keep in mind that there are two standards when it comes to the diameter of the hole in a weightplate
    (and the diameter of the matching bar of course), Olympic and standard. Go for standard.

    > I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling shipping will cost a small fortune. What
    > confused me online was the description and picture ... picture looked like the steel screw on
    > collar - but description said *spring lock*. What am I messing up here?

    Most likely the online shop was messing things up :)

    Cheers Marc

  5. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    For what it's worth, I'd go with the 100 pound set. Your son may progress quicker and faster than
    you and might outgrow the 40 lb set faster than you think.

    my two cents

    Julie

> [...]
    > looked like the steel screw on collar - but description said *spring
    lock*. What
    > am I messing up here?
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a collar in
    themselves
    > >that screws onto the bar. It can't fall off unless you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of
    > >bar, and the plates would be rattling all over. Dummy proof. Trust me.
    > >
    > >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I recall years ago, a friend was lifting dumb bells that were held by the colloar with the
    > >> little square bolt. Damn thing came lose and about 3 plates slipped off one end and the bar
    > >> slipped through the central collar and crashed down the other way. BAD news. I have the spring

  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    >Keep in mind that there are two standards when it comes to the diameter of the hole in a
    >weightplate (and the diameter of the matching bar of course), Olympic and standard. Go for
    >standard.

    I guess I could try looking but do you know the diameter of the holes for both? I think that I would
    be interested in getting a new bar for the dumbells.

  7. Marc Heimann

    Marc Heimann Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > I guess I could try looking but do you know the diameter
    > of the holes for both? I think that I would be
    > interested in getting a new bar for the dumbells.

    Standard is 25 mm (1 inch) Olympic is 50 mm (2 inch)

  8. Fred

    Fred Guest

    THANKS

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:06:58 +0100, Marc Heimann
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Standard is 25 mm (1 inch) Olympic is 50 mm (2 inch)

  9. This is the set of weights that I own, bought them at Target
    for $34.99 plus tax. I like them.

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:20:23 -0600, Joyce
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these
    >advertised in the Good Housekeeping magazine. Are these a
    >good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this
    >might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    >obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
    >info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=61-
    >&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
    >
    >Joyce

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  10. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I really was leaning towards the chrome, love the nice shiny
    look. <G> They did have those at my target but I think they
    aren't going to work with sharing with sonny boy - so leaned
    heavier towards the same brand but 40 pound set (black cast
    iron). If I remember correctly, this 30 pound set had eight
    1.5 pound plates and four 2.5 pound plates ... the 40 pound
    set had four 2.5 pound plates and four 5 pound plates (don't
    hold me to that though - I looked at a lot of different
    options). This will be what I purchase, unless sonny boy
    decides he really wants the 100 pound set. I'm going to
    mention to him about buying the seperate bar and plates at a
    later date though, see what he thinks.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with these Linda. I had
    spent a lot of time standing in Target trying to make up
    my mind. <that old wishy-washy side of me> Am getting the
    boy up in 10 minutes, then we head out to make the
    ultimate decision.

    Joyce

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:07:22 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is the set of weights that I own, bought them at
    >Target for $34.99 plus tax. I like them.
    >
    >On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:20:23 -0600, Joyce
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so these
    >>advertised in the Good Housekeeping magazine. Are these a
    >>good deal? Is a 40 pound limit good? I was thinking this
    >>might be good enough for me, as well as my son who is
    >>obviously stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or
    >>info would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=6-
    >>1&subcategory_id=268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185
    >>
    >>Joyce
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  11. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    This is what I was looking at online, probably going to have to cut and paste the
    link back together as it is a long one:
    http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1344899&cp=710956.1085818.693997&fCat=693997&fpricesort=priceAscending&filter=yes&parentPage=family

    They LOOK like the screwy type collar, but description says
    squeeze. I couldn't figure out where the heck to squeeze it.
    So looked at the same thing at other online sports stores -
    exact same description (I think the sites must be run by the
    same person/company). So have decided to forego the online
    venue and buy whatever is available locally ... regardless
    as to the cute little storage briefcases. <g>

    My son told me last night that he likes the spring lock
    <sigh>, but then ... he is stronger than an ox. 6'3", 210
    (maybe?), works construction. I'm going to have to convince
    him that I need to be able to change the plates too. <g>

    Joyce

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:41:04 GMT, "Lesanne"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> shipping will cost a
    >small
    >> fortune. What confused me online was the description and
    >> picture ...
    >picture
    >> looked like the steel screw on collar - but description
    >> said *spring
    >lock*. What
    >> am I messing up here?
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a
    >> >collar in
    >themselves
    >> >that screws onto the bar. It can't fall off unless
    >> >you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of bar, and
    >> >the plates would be rattling all over. Dummy proof.
    >> >Trust me.
    >> >
    >> >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  12. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:23:42 +0100, Marc Heimann <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Joyce wrote:
    >> I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it
    >> past the dear boy. I found 2 sets ... one is a 100 pound
    >> set, includes the handweights and also the barbell for
    >> going higher (not sure what the kid wants) - was $60 at
    >> one of the sports stores.
    >
    >Having a barbell around will allow for variety. But you can
    >get one later, the weight plates will fit there.

    Thanks for the info, this is something that I was wondering
    about. I'm really leaning towards holding off on the barbell
    for now, and seeing if sonny boy will really use it (I know
    how he operates - lol). But if he's absolutely adamant
    ...... Then again, he's the one who's going to have to carry
    the thing around the store today, and into the house, and
    wherever I decide it's going to end up. It might sway his
    decision. <G>

    >> Options for the hand weight sets were slim, seems the
    >> sports stores around me don't like to stock the sets. I
    >> found one 40 pound set for $20 but it had plastic screw
    >> on collars ... I'm not ovely thrilled with the concept of
    >> using plastic, am afraid it would break if constantly
    >> being changed (which could happen with multiple users).
    >
    >Yes, avoid the plastic thingy at all costs!

    Ya know, I had this set in my hands and was ready to go -
    then saw that one of the boxes was opened, so decided to
    take a peek. There was just something about the drastic
    price reduction that wasn't setting well with me. I'm glad I
    looked. Plastic is good for some things (like food storage),
    but sure don't see it as being overly safe for keeping
    weights secured.

    >> Target had a 40 pound set in the briefcase storage thing
    >> ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just
    >> be laying in the box for storage - probably would be ok
    >> ... Both were $40. The other option I ran into was
    >> buying the plates individually and the gripper things
    >> individually - think I figured that would also run
    >> around $40 for the same 40 pound set. Oh dear, whatever
    >> shall I do???
    >
    >I haven't checked the shipping cost on this online store,
    >but the concept and price seems reasonable compared to what
    >you have found.
    >
    >http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?produc-
    >tId=1344900&cp=970177.693997&parentPage=family
    >
    >They have the dumbbell handel too ($9,99 each http://www.d-
    >ickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=6037 )
    >
    >Their chrome set in a box looks like using a threaded
    >handle too.
    >
    >http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?produc-
    >tId=1201688&cp=710956.710958.694000&parentPage=family
    >
    >Whatever choice you make, it can't be wrong. Get a set and
    >start working with it.

    Is there any special differences between the cast iron
    (black) and chrome, other than being shiny? I looked at
    Dick's, seemed to be running the same options and prices as
    Sports Authority and Sportmart ... possbily FogDog too. Made
    me think that all these sites were run by the same outfit.
    <G> I've noticed that none of the retail stores near me
    carry the chrome sets.

    >If you find out that you need more/different weights just
    >buy some new plates and/or a barbell.
    >
    >Keep in mind that there are two standards when it comes to
    >the diameter of the hole in a weightplate (and the diameter
    >of the matching bar of course), Olympic and standard. Go
    >for standard.

    Thank you for this! I was hoping they were standard,
    but didn't know what was standard or the difference
    between Olympic and standard. I saw in a post to Fred
    that you explained the difference ... I will definitely
    go with Standard!

    >> I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling
    >> shipping will cost a small fortune. What confused me
    >> online was the description and picture ... picture looked
    >> like the steel screw on collar - but description said
    >> *spring lock*. What am I messing up here?
    >
    >Most likely the online shop was messing things up :)

    I posted the link earlier, but here it is again ... it's a
    long one so will probably break up: http://www.thesportsaut-
    hority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1344899&cp=710956.10-
    85818.693997&fCat=693997&fpricesort=priceAscending&filter=y-
    es&parentPage=family

    Looks like threaded screws to me, description says spring
    lock ... at all websites. So what do you go with,
    description or photo? <g> I'll buy retail, where I can see
    what I'm getting.

    Thanks again for all your help Marc. This newbie to weights
    is very appreciative, and hasn't felt this ignorant for a
    long time ... or at least a few days. <G>

    Joyce

    >Cheers Marc

  13. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    The only problem I see with the 100 pound set is that he may
    not use it at all. It's not so much a matter of outgrowing
    it, as whether it will be detrimental to his training. He is
    a pitcher, not really going for strong man stuff - and has
    to be very careful with how and what he develops. It will be
    something we will need to discuss while out shopping.

    Joyce

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:12:30 -0600, "skiur"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> shipping will cost a
    >small
    >> fortune. What confused me online was the description and
    >> picture ...
    >picture
    >> looked like the steel screw on collar - but description
    >> said *spring
    >lock*. What
    >> am I messing up here?
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:35:46 GMT, "Lesanne"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Those little bolts do Suck. I have the ones that are a
    >> >collar in
    >themselves
    >> >that screws onto the bar. It can't fall off unless
    >> >you let it unscrew itself about 3 inches of bar, and
    >> >the plates would be rattling all over. Dummy proof.
    >> >Trust me.
    >> >
    >> >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  14. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Good point. I hope you got him out of bed w/o too much
    hassle.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only problem I see with the 100 pound set is that he
    > may not use it at
    all.
    > It's not so much a matter of outgrowing it, as whether
    > it will be
    detrimental to
    > his training. He is a pitcher, not really going for strong
    > man stuff -
    and has to
    > be very careful with how and what he develops. It will be
    > something we
    will need
    > to discuss while out shopping.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:12:30 -0600, "skiur"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >For what it's worth, I'd go with the 100 pound set. Your
    > >son may progress quicker and faster than you and might
    > >outgrow the
    40
    > >lb set faster than you think.
    > >
    > >my two cents
    > >
    > >Julie
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >> I think I found what I'm going to get - need to run it
    > >> past the dear
    boy.
    > >I found
    > >> 2 sets ... one is a 100 pound set, includes the
    > >> handweights and also
    the
    > >barbell
    > >> for going higher (not sure what the kid wants) - was
    > >> $60 at one of the
    > >sports
    > >> stores. Options for the hand weight sets were slim,
    > >> seems the sports
    > >stores
    > >> around me don't like to stock the sets. I found one 40
    > >> pound set for
    $20
    > >but it
    > >> had plastic screw on collars ... I'm not ovely thrilled
    > >> with the
    concept
    > >of using
    > >> plastic, am afraid it would break if constantly being
    > >> changed (which
    could
    > >happen
    > >> with multiple users). Target had a 40 pound set in the
    > >> briefcase
    storage
    > >thing
    > >> ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just
    > >> be laying in
    the
    > >box for
    > >> storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The
    > >> other option I
    ran

    wrote:

    > >themselves
    over.

    by
    the

    > >plates
    ones

    > >limit
    who

    =
    > >2

    > >lbs

    > >have.

    the

    Easy,

    > >into
    near
    > >me,
    the
    > >ways
    > >this
    falling

  15. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    hehehe - getting him out of bed was the easy part. Just told
    him, 'you aren't going to girlfriends until we get a set of
    weights ... you want to sleep, you're decision. Mama isn't
    sharing nice today". Funny - the kid was up and showered,
    ready to go in 10 minutes. Made it to the bank (deposit his
    paycheck), post office (mail my bills), sports store and
    home in about 40 minutes.

    He really seemed to want that higher weight set, so we went
    with it. Wierd though, says 110 lb weight set 100# ... so is
    it 100 pounds or 110 pounds? And the plates amount to 80
    pounds (4 - 10's, 6 - 5's, 4 - 2.5's), not 100 or 110 -
    maybe the bars themselves add the other weight? Came with
    barbell and two dumbells - 6 thick metal screw type collars
    (he wanted the spring ones but said it really wasn't a big
    deal - he lost). Was only $49.99 ... $10 more than the 40
    pound handweight set. I'm happy, he's happy, guess it turned
    out ok. He unloaded, was out the door in a flash.

    Joyce

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:05:19 -0600, "skiur"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Good point. I hope you got him out of bed w/o too
    >much hassle.
    >

    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> The only problem I see with the 100 pound set is that he
    >> may not use it at
    >all.
    >> It's not so much a matter of outgrowing it, as whether it
    >> will be
    >detrimental to
    >> his training. He is a pitcher, not really going for
    >> strong man stuff -
    >and has to
    >> be very careful with how and what he develops. It will be
    >> something we
    >will need
    >> to discuss while out shopping.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:12:30 -0600, "skiur"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >For what it's worth, I'd go with the 100 pound set. Your
    >> >son may progress quicker and faster than you and might
    >> >outgrow the
    >40
    >> >lb set faster than you think.
    >> >
    >> >my two cents
    >> >
    >> >Julie
    >> >
    >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:eek:[email protected]...
    >boy.
    >> >I found
    >the
    >> >barbell
    >> >sports
    >> >stores
    >$20
    >> >but it
    >concept
    >> >of using
    >could
    >> >happen
    >storage
    >> >thing
    >the
    >> >box for
    >ran
    >> >into was
    >think
    >> >dear,

    >> >small
    >> >picture
    >> >lock*. What

    >> >themselves
    >over.

    >by
    >the

    >> >plates
    >ones

    >> >limit
    >who
    >> >is

    >=
    >> >2

    >> >lbs

    >> >have.

    >the

    >Easy,

    >> >into
    >near
    >> >me,
    >the
    >> >ways
    >> >this
    >falling

  16. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    The chrome ones I have are chipped and ugly, but still heavy.... :)

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I really was leaning towards the chrome, love the nice
    > shiny look. <G>
    They did
    > have those at my target but I think they aren't going to
    > work with sharing
    with
    > sonny boy - so leaned heavier towards the same brand but
    > 40 pound set
    (black cast
    > iron). If I remember correctly, this 30 pound set had
    > eight 1.5 pound
    plates and
    > four 2.5 pound plates ... the 40 pound set had four 2.5
    > pound plates and
    four 5
    > pound plates (don't hold me to that though - I looked at
    > a lot of
    different
    > options). This will be what I purchase, unless sonny boy
    > decides he
    really wants
    > the 100 pound set. I'm going to mention to him about
    > buying the seperate
    bar and
    > plates at a later date though, see what he thinks.
    >
    > Thanks for sharing your experience with these Linda. I had
    > spent a lot of
    time
    > standing in Target trying to make up my mind. <that old
    > wishy-washy side
    of me>
    > Am getting the boy up in 10 minutes, then we head out to
    > make the ultimate decision.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:07:22 -0600, Prairie Roots
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >This is the set of weights that I own, bought them at
    > >Target for $34.99 plus tax. I like them.
    > >
    > >On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:20:23 -0600, Joyce
    > ><[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Ok, I am now moving into purchasing some weights, so
    > >>these advertised in
    the Good
    > >>Housekeeping magazine. Are these a good deal? Is a 40
    > >>pound limit
    good? I was
    > >>thinking this might be good enough for me, as well as my
    > >>son who is
    obviously
    > >>stronger. And shipping is free! Any advice or info would
    > >>be greatly
    appreciated.

    >>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=6-
    >>1&subcategory_id=
    268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    > >>Joyce
    > >
    > >Linda P
    > >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  17. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    That's it? Great deal! Where did you go? I have to consider
    this for myself.

    Isn't it funny how minor suggestions get the young ones
    moving? ;-)

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hehehe - getting him out of bed was the easy part. Just
    > told him, 'you
    aren't
    > going to girlfriends until we get a set of weights ... you
    > want to sleep,
    you're
    > decision. Mama isn't sharing nice today". Funny - the kid
    > was up and
    showered,
    > ready to go in 10 minutes. Made it to the bank (deposit
    > his paycheck),
    post
    > office (mail my bills), sports store and home in about 40
    > minutes.
    >
    > He really seemed to want that higher weight set, so we
    > went with it.
    Wierd
    > though, says 110 lb weight set 100# ... so is it 100
    > pounds or 110 pounds?
    And
    > the plates amount to 80 pounds (4 - 10's, 6 - 5's, 4 -
    > 2.5's), not 100 or
    110 -
    > maybe the bars themselves add the other weight? Came with
    > barbell and two dumbells - 6 thick metal screw type
    > collars (he wanted the spring ones but
    said it
    > really wasn't a big deal - he lost). Was only $49.99 ...
    > $10 more than
    the 40
    > pound handweight set. I'm happy, he's happy, guess it
    > turned out ok. He unloaded, was out the door in a flash.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:05:19 -0600, "skiur"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Good point. I hope you got him out of bed w/o too much
    > >hassle.
    > >

    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> The only problem I see with the 100 pound set is that
    > >> he may not use it
    at

    wrote:

> [...]
    the
    > >40

    > >boy.
    > >the
    the
    sports
    for
    > >$20
    > >concept
    > >could
    > >storage
    > >the
    > >ran
    > >think
    Oh

    unscrew
    > >over.

    held
    > >by
    and
    the
    > >the

    <[email protected]>

    the
    The
    > >ones

    pound
    son
    > >who
    be

    > >=

    40

    they

    way
    > >the

    > >Easy,

    look
    > >near
    > >the
    that
    > >falling

  18. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Well, there is nothing to unscrew with the spring lock so I
    guess it might be quicker to adjust. I think that the screw
    is more secure.

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:26:16 -0600, Joyce
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>thing
    >>> ... sports authority had a 40 pound set that would just
    >>> be laying in the
    >>box for
    >>> storage - probably would be ok ... Both were $40. The
    >>> other option I ran
    >>into was
    >>> buying the plates individually and the gripper things
    >>> individually - think
    >>> figured that would also run around $40 for the same 40
    >>> pound set. Oh
    >>dear,
    >>> whatever shall I do???
    >>>
    >>> I was looking online at a set, but have a feeling
    >>> shipping will cost a
    >>small
    >>> fortune. What confused me online was the description and
    >>> picture ...
    >>picture
    >>> looked like the steel screw on collar - but description

  19. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Well, so much for bright and shiny. <G> Evidentally the
    appearance matters not, in the grand scheme of things. <G>
    Ours are not the shiny chrome, are a dull silver finish. I
    imagine they will also become chipped and ugly - but don't
    see the weight changing over time. Ok, one more goofy
    question here that I never thought about. If I were to use 2
    of the 5 lb weights on the dumbells ... would I be lifting
    10 pounds ... or would it actually be about 12.5, since the
    dumbell itself weighs over 2.5 pounds (I didn't weigh the
    screws, imagine it would total up to 3 lbs)? I'm gonna
    figure all of this out sooner or later, just was wondering
    where exactly I should start.

    Joyce

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:33:50 GMT, "Lesanne"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The chrome ones I have are chipped and ugly, but still
    >heavy.... :)
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I really was leaning towards the chrome, love the nice
    >> shiny look. <G>
    >They did
    >> have those at my target but I think they aren't going to
    >> work with sharing
    >with
    >> sonny boy - so leaned heavier towards the same brand but
    >> 40 pound set
    >(black cast
    >> iron). If I remember correctly, this 30 pound set had
    >> eight 1.5 pound
    >plates and
    >> four 2.5 pound plates ... the 40 pound set had four 2.5
    >> pound plates and
    >four 5
    >> pound plates (don't hold me to that though - I looked at
    >> a lot of
    >different
    >> options). This will be what I purchase, unless sonny boy
    >> decides he
    >really wants
    >> the 100 pound set. I'm going to mention to him about
    >> buying the seperate
    >bar and
    >> plates at a later date though, see what he thinks.
    >>
    >> Thanks for sharing your experience with these Linda. I
    >> had spent a lot of
    >time
    >> standing in Target trying to make up my mind. <that old
    >> wishy-washy side
    >of me>
    >> Am getting the boy up in 10 minutes, then we head out to
    >> make the ultimate decision.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:07:22 -0600, Prairie Roots
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >This is the set of weights that I own, bought them at
    >> >Target for $34.99 plus tax. I like them.

    >the Good
    >good? I was
    >obviously
    >appreciated.
    >> >>

    >>>http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm?category_id=-
    >>>61&subcategory_id=
    >268&CFID=304229&CFTOKEN=32186185

    >> >Linda P
    >> >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  20. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Yup, was quick and easy. I did most of the legwork
    yesterday, so had our options sorted out before dragging son
    out of bed this morning. We ended up at Sportmart, is the
    closest store to the house - straight down Roosevelt about 2
    miles. This set wasn't the original one I looked at, these
    were $10 cheaper ... and at this point I figured weights
    were weights ... knew he wanted the barbell, I wanted the
    dumbells and screw collars - the rest didn't matter much.

    Sonny boy has never been overly difficult to get out of bed
    (daughter is an entirely different story), but putting the
    game plan in the open and letting him know he was in control
    of his own destiny - does change things a bit. I might try
    this with more things, probably would get a lot more man-
    work completed around the house. <G>

    Joyce