For the weight training guru's

Joyce wrote:

> Well, so much for bright and shiny. <G> Evidentally the
> appearance matters not, in the grand scheme of things. <G>
> Ours are not the shiny chrome, are a dull silver finish. I
> imagine they will also become chipped and ugly - but don't
> see the weight changing over time.

Good, it is *work*out equipment, not some interior
decoration thingy :)

> Ok, one more goofy question here that I never thought
> about. If I were to use 2 of the 5 lb weights on the
> dumbells ... would I be lifting 10 pounds ... or would it
> actually be about 12.5, since the dumbell itself weighs
> over 2.5 pounds (I didn't weigh the screws, imagine it
> would total up to 3 lbs)? I'm gonna figure all of this
> out sooner or later, just was wondering where exactly I
> should start.

Yep, you are actually lifting 13 pounds, but the weight of
the handle is usually *not* taken into consideration when
marking dumbbells.

So in a gym they would be labeled 10 lbs.

The only occassion that I know of where the weight of the
bar is taken into the calculation are weightlifting
competitions with Olympic bars (who are at 25lbs IIRC).

Cheers Marc

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:24:34 +0100, Marc Heimann <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
>
>> Well, so much for bright and shiny. <G> Evidentally the
>> appearance matters not, in the grand scheme of things.
>> <G> Ours are not the shiny chrome, are a dull silver
>> finish. I imagine they will also become chipped and ugly
>> - but don't see the weight changing over time.
>
>Good, it is *work*out equipment, not some interior
>decoration thingy :)

LOL! Great point! I plan on using them Monday, today will be
reading the websites you posted so I know what the heck I'm
doing - and getting myself somewhat educated. Nothing like
hurting myself first time out to put me off from going
again. And I am a stubborn cuss. Sonny boy and hub laughed
at me (just as when requesting the new treadmill) - I'll
make them eat their words. <g>

>> Ok, one more goofy question here that I never thought
>> about. If I were to use 2 of the 5 lb weights on the
>> dumbells ... would I be lifting 10 pounds ... or would it
>> actually be about 12.5, since the dumbell itself weighs
>> over 2.5 pounds (I didn't weigh the screws, imagine it
>> would total up to 3 lbs)? I'm gonna figure all of this
>> out sooner or later, just was wondering where exactly I
>> should start.
>
>Yep, you are actually lifting 13 pounds, but the weight of
>the handle is usually *not* taken into consideration when
>marking dumbbells.
>
>So in a gym they would be labeled 10 lbs.
>
>The only occassion that I know of where the weight of the
>bar is taken into the calculation are weightlifting
>competitions with Olympic bars (who are at 25lbs IIRC).

Thanks so much for the information, Marc. I'm glad to see my
logical mind isn't totally going whacko. I'll count it as
the actual plate weights, but keep in mind the total weight
when choosing where/what to start with. I was thinking of
starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had a good point ... 5
pounds might be a better option while learning and getting
myself into the swing of things.

Joyce

Joyce wrote:
> I was thinking of starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had
> a good point ... 5 pounds might be a better option while
> learning and getting myself into the swing of things.

That is correct, concentrate on proper form prior to
increase weight.

Have fun lifting Marc

Let me repeat: start light, concentrate on form, then
increase weight when it becomes easy.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:34:38 -0600, Joyce
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was thinking of starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had a
>good point ... 5 pounds might be a better option while
>learning and getting myself into the swing of things

You know, extortion, is a crime - except, maybe when
attached to motherhood! (G)

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 02:54:34 -0600, Joyce
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yup, was quick and easy. I did most of the legwork
>yesterday, so had our options sorted out before dragging
>son out of bed this morning. We ended up at Sportmart, is
>the closest store to the house - straight down Roosevelt
>about 2 miles. This set wasn't the original one I looked
>at, these were $10 cheaper ... and at this point I figured
>weights were weights ... knew he wanted the barbell, I
>wanted the dumbells and screw collars - the rest didn't
>matter much.
>
>Sonny boy has never been overly difficult to get out of bed
>(daughter is an entirely different story), but putting the
>game plan in the open and letting him know he was in
>control of his own destiny - does change things a bit. I
>might try this with more things, probably would get a lot
>more man-work completed around the house. <G>
>
>Joyce
>
>On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:58:19 -0600, "skiur"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>That's it? Great deal! Where did you go? I have to
>>consider this for myself.
>>
>>Isn't it funny how minor suggestions get the young ones
>>moving? ;-)
>>
>>"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> hehehe - getting him out of bed was the easy part. Just
>>> told him, 'you
>>aren't
>>> going to girlfriends until we get a set of weights ...
>>> you want to sleep,
>>you're
>>> decision. Mama isn't sharing nice today". Funny - the
>>> kid was up and
>>showered,
>>> ready to go in 10 minutes. Made it to the bank (deposit
>>> his paycheck),
>>post
>>> office (mail my bills), sports store and home in about
>>> 40 minutes.
>>>
>>> He really seemed to want that higher weight set, so we
>>> went with it.
>>Wierd
>>> though, says 110 lb weight set 100# ... so is it 100
>>> pounds or 110 pounds?
>>And
>>> the plates amount to 80 pounds (4 - 10's, 6 - 5's, 4 -
>>> 2.5's), not 100 or
>>110 -
>>> maybe the bars themselves add the other weight? Came
>>> with barbell and two dumbells - 6 thick metal screw type
>>> collars (he wanted the spring ones but
>>said it
>>> really wasn't a big deal - he lost). Was only $49.99 ...
>>> $10 more than
>>the 40
>>> pound handweight set. I'm happy, he's happy, guess it
>>> turned out ok. He unloaded, was out the door in a flash.

> [...]

You know that could refer to snacking, too (G)

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:03:23 -0600, Prairie Roots
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Let me repeat: start light, concentrate on form, then
>increase weight when it becomes easy.
>
>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:34:38 -0600, Joyce
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had
>>a good point ... 5 pounds might be a better option while
>>learning and getting myself into the swing of things

Perfecting my snacking form is what got me to needing WW in
the first place.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:03:21 -0800, Fred
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You know that could refer to snacking, too (G)
>
>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:03:23 -0600, Prairie Roots
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Let me repeat: start light, concentrate on form, then
>>increase weight when it becomes easy.
>>
>>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:34:38 -0600, Joyce
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I was thinking of starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had
>>>a good point ... 5 pounds might be a better option while
>>>learning and getting myself into the swing of things

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

>Let me repeat: start light, concentrate on form, then
>increase weight when it becomes easy.

Actually-you might considering increasing the number of
reps or the number of lifts within a rep before
increasing weight.

Mary

hehehe - I heard you and Marc loud and clear. I'm going slow
and easy on this.

Joyce

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Let me repeat: start light, concentrate on form, then
>increase weight when it becomes easy.
>
>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:34:38 -0600, Joyce
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of starting with 10, but Lesanne or PR had
>>a good point ... 5 pounds might be a better option while
>>learning and getting myself into the swing of things

hehehe I prefer to think of it as *creative thinking*, and
there is no crime in that. <g> Us mom's do what we have to
do in order to accomplish the goal.

Joyce