For the "Yeah, right" file

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Chung, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> "Oops! Murphy's Law costs Ullrich German victory"
    :>
    :> "'We don't have measurements to confirm this, but we can estimate
    :> that this mistake caused a 20 Watt loss'" [said the manufacturer of
    :> the wheel in question].
    :>
    :> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/news/08-27

    Too damn much science for normal humans to deal with...

    :)

  3. Robert Chung wrote:

    > "Oops! Murphy's Law costs Ullrich German victory"
    >
    > "'We don't have measurements to confirm this, but we can estimate that
    > this mistake caused a 20 Watt loss'" [said the manufacturer of the wheel
    > in question].
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/news/08-27

    "Yeah, right."

    I couldn't help but notice Jan saying something to the effect of "I was
    ill", "It would have been nice to win" and "Second is still pretty good."

    Truly, the heart of a champion.

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Oops! Murphy's Law costs Ullrich German victory"
    >
    > "'We don't have measurements to confirm this, but we can estimate that
    > this mistake caused a 20 Watt loss'" [said the manufacturer of the wheel
    > in question].
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/news/08-27

    I think that at least 20 Watts were lost here:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/vuelta05/index.php?id=vuelta052/2_14g

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  5. 41

    41 Guest

  6. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    So much for the superior pinch bolt design. He even pulled the drive
    side completely out of the BB. Was this a mechanical/materials failure
    or was is a shoddy installation?

  7. Neither. Pedal cleat retention was set too tight.
    /s

  8. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  9. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "amakyonin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So much for the superior pinch bolt design. He even pulled the drive
    > side completely out of the BB. Was this a mechanical/materials failure
    > or was is a shoddy installation?

    Well, since the crank spindle (or axle, if you prefer) is permanently
    attached to the right crank arm, once the left arm came off, the whole assembly
    could slide right out of the bb. Why'd the left arm come loose? It's hard to
    know without inside info. I'd tend to lean toward mechanic error, though. Bolts
    left loose, perhaps.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  10. Teacher:

    "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
    never equivalent to a negative."

    Student:

    "Yeah, right."

    Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown
    | If you haven’t yet discovered the novels |
    | of Neal Stephenson, don’t wait! |
    | Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  11. Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Teacher:
    >
    > "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
    > never equivalent to a negative."
    >
    > Student:
    >
    > "Yeah, right."
    >
    > Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown
    > +--------------------------------------------+
    > | If you haven't yet discovered the novels |
    > | of Neal Stephenson, don't wait! |
    > | Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
    > +--------------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Dear Sheldon,

    I call and raise you one.

    And yes I said yes I will yes.

    J. Joyce

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <431485BA.609[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Teacher:
    >
    > "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
    > never equivalent to a negative."
    >
    > Student:
    >
    > "Yeah, right."
    >
    > Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown

    Hmm, doesn't this fall into the "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three
    lefts do" category?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. JBAFromNY

    JBAFromNY Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Teacher:
    >
    > "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
    > never equivalent to a negative."
    >
    > Student:
    >
    > "Yeah, right."
    >
    > Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown

    FYI, there's actually a real story here, and not a simply a
    student-teacher urban legend. The actual punch line is "Yeah, yeah";
    the "teacher" was the English philopher of language J. L. Ausin, and
    the "student" was the (recently) late lamented philosopher and
    wise-cracker Sidney Morgenbesser. All of this is somewhat corroborated
    at:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Morgenbesser

    and some of the links therein

    John "took a seminar with Sidney and knows a guy who witnessed the
    famous wise crack" Albin