For the "Yeah, right" file

Robert Chung wrote:

> "Oops! Murphy's Law costs Ullrich German victory"
>
> "'We don't have measurements to confirm this, but we can estimate that
> this mistake caused a 20 Watt loss'" [said the manufacturer of the wheel
> in question].
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/news/08-27

"Yeah, right."

I couldn't help but notice Jan saying something to the effect of "I was
ill", "It would have been nice to win" and "Second is still pretty good."

Truly, the heart of a champion.

In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Oops! Murphy's Law costs Ullrich German victory"
>
> "'We don't have measurements to confirm this, but we can estimate that
> this mistake caused a 20 Watt loss'" [said the manufacturer of the wheel
> in question].
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/news/08-27

I think that at least 20 Watts were lost here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/vuelta05/index.php?id=vuelta052/2_14g

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

So much for the superior pinch bolt design. He even pulled the drive
side completely out of the BB. Was this a mechanical/materials failure
or was is a shoddy installation?

In article <[email protected]>,
"amakyonin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So much for the superior pinch bolt design. He even pulled the drive
> side completely out of the BB. Was this a mechanical/materials failure
> or was is a shoddy installation?

Well, since the crank spindle (or axle, if you prefer) is permanently
attached to the right crank arm, once the left arm came off, the whole assembly
could slide right out of the bb. Why'd the left arm come loose? It's hard to
know without inside info. I'd tend to lean toward mechanic error, though. Bolts
left loose, perhaps.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Teacher:

"A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
never equivalent to a negative."

Student:

"Yeah, right."

Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown
| If you haven’t yet discovered the novels |
| of Neal Stephenson, don’t wait! |
| Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Teacher:
>
> "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
> never equivalent to a negative."
>
> Student:
>
> "Yeah, right."
>
> Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown
> +--------------------------------------------+
> | If you haven't yet discovered the novels |
> | of Neal Stephenson, don't wait! |
> | Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
> +--------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Dear Sheldon,

I call and raise you one.

And yes I said yes I will yes.

J. Joyce

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Teacher:
>
> "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
> never equivalent to a negative."
>
> Student:
>
> "Yeah, right."
>
> Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown

Hmm, doesn't this fall into the "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three
lefts do" category?

--

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Teacher:
>
> "A double negative is equivalent to a positive, but a double positive is
> never equivalent to a negative."
>
> Student:
>
> "Yeah, right."
>
> Sheldon "All Generalizations Are False" Brown

FYI, there's actually a real story here, and not a simply a
student-teacher urban legend. The actual punch line is "Yeah, yeah";
the "teacher" was the English philopher of language J. L. Ausin, and
the "student" was the (recently) late lamented philosopher and
wise-cracker Sidney Morgenbesser. All of this is somewhat corroborated
at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Morgenbesser

and some of the links therein

John "took a seminar with Sidney and knows a guy who witnessed the
famous wise crack" Albin