For those of you just thawing out

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus Lee, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    You know you're in an Texas Summer When...

    The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

    Hot water now comes out of both taps.

    The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.

    You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.

    You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in 'warpaint'

    You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

    You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

    Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and
    cook to death?"

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. You sure you weren't in Gainesville FL in August? Any black asphalt reads out at 105 degrees on my
    auto thermometer and the humidity is usually 95%-plus. Sun shine's brightly throughout. AND ...
    after a lifetime in the frozen north I love it.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
    >
    > The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
    >
    > Hot water now comes out of both taps.
    >
    > The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
    >
    > You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
    >
    > You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
    'warpaint'

    > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
    >
    > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
    >
    > Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up
    lying on the pavement
    > and cook to death?"

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. FWIW Yesterday and today Toronto and most of this region was hit with whiteouts and cold blizzard
    conditions, people are bitching they took down their xmas decorations way too soon.
    ----------------------------------
    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You sure you weren't in Gainesville FL in August? Any black asphalt reads out at 105 degrees on my
    > auto thermometer and the humidity is usually 95%-plus. Sun shine's brightly throughout. AND ...
    > after a lifetime in
    the
    > frozen north I love it.
    >
    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
    > >
    > > The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
    > >
    > > Hot water now comes out of both taps.
    > >
    > > The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
    > >
    > > You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
    > >
    > > You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
    > 'warpaint'
    > >
    > > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
    > >
    > > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
    > >
    > > Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end
    up
    > lying on the pavement
    > > and cook to death?"
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    > > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Don't hate me but it's 73 sunny degrees in Sanibel right now.

    Chere

  5. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    It is snowing as I write this.

    C.C.

    > From: Cletus Lee <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003
    > 11:06:23 -0600 Subject: For those of you just thawing out
    >
    > You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
    >
    > The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
    >
    > Hot water now comes out of both taps.
    >
    > The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
    >
    > You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
    >
    > You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in 'warpaint'
    >
    > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
    >
    > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
    >
    > Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement
    > and cook to death?"

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    STOP RUBBING IT IN!

    I had a trip planned for Wis. last weekend, and I had to deal with several snowstorms over the last
    couple of days.

    Of course, it was 20 yesterday morning, and 80 this afternoon, so the riding's back on!

  7. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
    >
    > The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
    >
    > Hot water now comes out of both taps.
    >
    > The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
    >
    > You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
    >
    > You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
    'warpaint'

    > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
    >
    > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
    >
    > Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up
    lying on the pavement
    > and cook to death?"

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile night run in Dallas

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile night run in Dallas

    It is days like today that make August worth while.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m....

    No thanks. It is days like these that make me want to move farther north.

    > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....

    Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.

  10. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....
    >
    > Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.

    Actually, I think it does not have a true solid state. Something I have heard applied to glass too.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote :..

    > Asphalt does not have a true liquid state:

    Tom, you are absolutely right. It goes from a solid to a gas here in south Texas in July and August.

    Jerry

  12. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile
    night
    > > run in Dallas
    >
    > It is days like today that make August worth while.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

    The only problem with August is I have to either ride from 6:00AM to 10:00AM or 7:00PM on, I'm not
    big on the heat

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    > > > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....
    > >
    > > Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.
    >
    > Actually, I think it does not have a true solid state. Something I have heard applied to
    > glass too.

    Glass is a non-crystalline solid that is visco-elastic. As it is heated, it gradually transitions
    from a hard and brittle solid to a soft and ductile solid and then to a viscous liquid.

  14. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Cletus, last summer I had the pleasure of driving across the pan handle of Texas from west to east.
    This was part of a cross country road trip with my family. We stopped on the Oklahoma border in
    Shamrock, TX for an overnight. We then continued west through Amarillo and then on to New Mexico.
    The trip took us from PA to southern CA and back over a three week period. For the record, my
    family's favorite overnight was at the Irish Inn in Shamrock. For $59 we enjoyed a great room, a hot
    tub and indoor pool with a full breakfast in the AM (for five of us!). Here's to Texas!!! Hurray!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    PS It was hot!!!!

  15. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Correction on direction.... We went east to west!