For those of you just thawing out

Cletus Lee

Guest
You know you're in an Texas Summer When...

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.

You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in 'warpaint'

You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and
cook to death?"

- Bellaire, TX USA -

You sure you weren't in Gainesville FL in August? Any black asphalt reads out at 105 degrees on my
auto thermometer and the humidity is usually 95%-plus. Sun shine's brightly throughout. AND ...
after a lifetime in the frozen north I love it.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
>
> The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
>
> Hot water now comes out of both taps.
>
> The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
>
> You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
>
> You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
'warpaint'

> You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
>
> You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
>
> Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up
lying on the pavement
> and cook to death?"

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

FWIW Yesterday and today Toronto and most of this region was hit with whiteouts and cold blizzard
conditions, people are *****ing they took down their xmas decorations way too soon.
----------------------------------
"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You sure you weren't in Gainesville FL in August? Any black asphalt reads out at 105 degrees on my
> auto thermometer and the humidity is usually 95%-plus. Sun shine's brightly throughout. AND ...
> after a lifetime in
the
> frozen north I love it.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
> >
> > The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
> >
> > Hot water now comes out of both taps.
> >
> > The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
> >
> > You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
> >
> > You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
> 'warpaint'
> >
> > You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
> >
> > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
> >
> > Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end
up
> lying on the pavement
> > and cook to death?"
> >
> > --
> >
> > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> > - Bellaire, TX USA -

Don't hate me but it's 73 sunny degrees in Sanibel right now.

Chere

It is snowing as I write this.

C.C.

> From: Cletus Lee <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003
> 11:06:23 -0600 Subject: For those of you just thawing out
>
> You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
>
> The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
>
> Hot water now comes out of both taps.
>
> The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
>
> You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
>
> You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in 'warpaint'
>
> You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
>
> You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
>
> Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement
> and cook to death?"

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

STOP RUBBING IT IN!

I had a trip planned for Wis. last weekend, and I had to deal with several snowstorms over the last
couple of days.

Of course, it was 20 yesterday morning, and 80 this afternoon, so the riding's back on!

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You know you're in an Texas Summer When...
>
> The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
>
> Hot water now comes out of both taps.
>
> The temperature drops below 90° and you feel a little chilly.
>
> You discover that in April it only takes 2 fingers to steer.
>
> You discover that you can get sunburned even though you are covered in
'warpaint'

> You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
>
> You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
>
> Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up
lying on the pavement
> and cook to death?"

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile night run in Dallas

In article <w3tia.38267$OV.136644@rwcrnsc54>, [email protected] says...

> Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile night run in Dallas

It is days like today that make August worth while.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee wrote:

> You break a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m....

No thanks. It is days like these that make me want to move farther north.

> You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....

Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.

> > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....
>
> Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.

Actually, I think it does not have a true solid state. Something I have heard applied to glass too.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Tom Sherman wrote :..

> Asphalt does not have a true liquid state:

Tom, you are absolutely right. It goes from a solid to a gas here in south Texas in July and August.

Jerry

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <w3tia.38267$OV.136644@rwcrnsc54>, [email protected] says...
> >
> > Tell me about it, it was low 60's today, just got back from a 20 mile
night
> > run in Dallas
>
> It is days like today that make August worth while.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

The only problem with August is I have to either ride from 6:00AM to 10:00AM or 7:00PM on, I'm not
big on the heat

Cletus Lee wrote:

> > > You realize that asphalt has a liquid state....
> >
> > Asphalt does not have a true liquid state: it is a visco-elastic material.
>
> Actually, I think it does not have a true solid state. Something I have heard applied to
> glass too.

Glass is a non-crystalline solid that is visco-elastic. As it is heated, it gradually transitions
from a hard and brittle solid to a soft and ductile solid and then to a viscous liquid.

Cletus, last summer I had the pleasure of driving across the pan handle of Texas from west to east.
This was part of a cross country road trip with my family. We stopped on the Oklahoma border in
Shamrock, TX for an overnight. We then continued west through Amarillo and then on to New Mexico.
The trip took us from PA to southern CA and back over a three week period. For the record, my
family's favorite overnight was at the Irish Inn in Shamrock. For $59 we enjoyed a great room, a hot
tub and indoor pool with a full breakfast in the AM (for five of us!). Here's to Texas!!! Hurray!

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

PS It was hot!!!!