Force 10 Ascent - any experience of this tent?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Stephen Millban, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Hi, I'm looking for a semi-geodesic 3kg tent to replace my 9 year old Vango Hydra for car camping
    and occasional backpacking.

    Of all the tents I've found so far the Force 10 Ascent
    (http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/ascent.html) seems to come closest in spirit to my old
    tent, which I've been very happy with. I only wish I'd replaced it a couple of years ago before the
    Hydra 200 morphed into the 200+ with an extended porch I don't need!

    Any of you guys had any first hand experience with the Ascent and have an opinion?

    So far the other tents I've considered include -

    Lightwave g2 trek: Nice size, light, want to see one in the flesh before deciding Terra Nova
    Explorer and Cassini: too expensive Voyager: too small Vaude Hogan: too small Wild Country
    Mistral/Sirocco: Nice but too small/heavy and don't want to climb over my mate to get out for a pee
    in the night! Vango Hydra 200+: Don't need the extra porch/weight

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. "Stephen Millband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm looking for a semi-geodesic 3kg tent to replace my 9 year old
    Vango
    > Hydra for car camping and occasional backpacking.
    >
    > Of all the tents I've found so far the Force 10 Ascent
    > (http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/ascent.html) seems to come closest in spirit to my
    > old tent, which I've been very happy with. I only wish I'd replaced it a couple of years ago
    > before the Hydra 200 morphed
    into
    > the 200+ with an extended porch I don't need!

    I've used a Vango Hydra 200 for about 5 years. I was a bit jealous when I saw the later extended
    200+ model, but as you say it's a bit much for backpacking.
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  3. I don't actually back-pack more than once every few years, but it's nice to
    feel that you can if you want to :)

    "Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > "Stephen Millband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, I'm looking for a semi-geodesic 3kg tent to replace my 9 year old
    > Vango
    > > Hydra for car camping and occasional backpacking.
    > >
    > > Of all the tents I've found so far the Force 10 Ascent
    > > (http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/ascent.html) seems to come closest in spirit to my
    > > old tent, which I've been very happy with. I
    only
    > > wish I'd replaced it a couple of years ago before the Hydra 200 morphed
    > into
    > > the 200+ with an extended porch I don't need!
    >
    > I've used a Vango Hydra 200 for about 5 years. I was a bit jealous when I saw the later extended
    > 200+ model, but as you say it's a bit much for backpacking.
    > --
    >
    > Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  4. "Stephen Millband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't actually back-pack more than once every few years, but it's nice
    > feel that you can if you want to :)

    Likewise. I bought a small Vango Micro 100 for the ever more rare occasions when I can get away for
    extended periods.
    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  5. The Voyager is too small? It's dimensions are very similar. Internal width is 120 v 130 cms, which
    is signifigant, but not very. Length is slightly more, height is slightly more too. Weight's a whole
    lot less, which may or may not be important to you. Personally I couldn't live with the colour - all
    the Force 10s seem to come in bright orange only.

    I use a Hydra 200 for comfort camping too, and from looking at the Force Tens in shops, I agree that
    the construction and quality seem comparable. You'd expect it too, since the Force Tens used to be
    sold under the Vango name.

    Seán

  6. I think the Voyager is a good tent too, but as I do *most* of my camping from the car I'm
    prioritising space over weight. The Voyager is 120cm cm wide vs. 140cm for the Ascent (8 inches more
    - good to have when camping with a mate instead of my wife!), and the Ascent keeps it height
    throughout much more of the length of the tent.

    I'm guessing from the responses on here that most people have not seen the Ascent in the flesh, let
    alone slept in one. They're obviously not that common/popular (maybe due to the aforementioned
    colour!), so maybe I'll keep on looking.

    Anyone got a rarely used Hydra 200 they want to sell??

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2791711696&category=16041

    Tent as requested shown here on Ebay at a good Buy Now price. Its not me its not mine its just as I
    have seen it. John.
    PS I have a Force Ten Assault as seen on my webpages.

    --
    . http://www.pbase.com/john28july "Stephen Millband" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I think the Voyager is a good tent too, but as I do *most* of my camping from the car I'm
    > prioritising space over weight. The Voyager is 120cm cm wide vs. 140cm for the Ascent (8 inches
    > more - good to have when camping with a mate instead of my wife!), and the Ascent keeps it height
    throughout
    > much more of the length of the tent.
    >
    > I'm guessing from the responses on here that most people have not seen the Ascent in the flesh,
    > let alone slept in one. They're obviously not that common/popular (maybe due to the aforementioned
    > colour!), so maybe I'll
    keep