Forced air food dyhydrator?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael L Kankiewicz, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

    Tags:

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:

    > I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    > uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    > and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.
    >
    > I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    > circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    > need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    > better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MK

    I've never used a Ronco to compare it with, but I have a American
    Harvester (Nesco) FD-50 and my brother has a 9-tray Excalibur, and they
    both work great.

    Bob

  3. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:

    > I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    > uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    > and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I've had a Mr. Coffee dehydrator for years. It worked just fine upto
    the last couple of years. I'm now going to buy the dehydrator trays for
    my stove and use that instead.

    > I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    > circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    > need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    > better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MK

  4. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Michael L Kankiewicz wrote:
    >
    >> I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    >> uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    >> and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.
    >>
    >> I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    >> circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    >> need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    >> better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> MK
    >>

    > I've never used a Ronco to compare it with, but I have a American
    > Harvester (Nesco) FD-50 and my brother has a 9-tray Excalibur, and they
    > both work great.
    >
    > Bob

    I have an Excalibur and it works great. I dry many things in and even make
    yogurt from time to time. My mom has the American Harvester and I use to
    borrow it before I bought my own and it worked great too.

    Lynne

  5. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Michael L Kankiewicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]du...

    > I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    > uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    > and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.
    >
    > I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    > circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    > need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    > better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MK

    The excalibur is great. But get the one with the timer.

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:28:25 -0500, Michael L Kankiewicz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    >circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    >need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    >better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    I've had the Ronco and an off-brand fan powered dehydrator. They
    both worked the same. The forced air version, there really wasn't
    a lot of circulation except for around the edges, where everything
    dried too quickly. I usually load them to almost capacity, too,
    and only using for beef jerky. So that probably cut down on even
    circulation.

    -sw