Forcing breakaways

11ring said:
Last time i saw James racing he was on the lowest handicap. When did he move to B. I also didn't know we was a sprinter much at all. I think i can actually outsprint him.
So he's light, but not strong enough to capatalise on this weight advantage. Anyway I'm just lucky to be able to keep up with you guys.

So what's your latest stategy on forcing breakaways?

Training and losing weight. I can get to 67 easy but 64 is no way (already my ribs stick out now). And a bit of just not bothering and sprinting. And racing on courses with hills.

From the test we did at RPA I know his watt output. I was higher than that last year before I got lazy and changed jobs. So more training is order. Perhaps i will do this 1000k week long trip. I am really out of shape. About 30% below my peak.

James is very fit but hides his strength. Perhaps he should follow Landis and get some test patches-to improve the agression.

Speaking of sprinting the real sprinter at DH is Matt. His thighs are twice as thick as mine. About 90kg of muscle.

mikesbytes said:
So he's light, but not strong enough to capatalise on this weight advantage. Anyway I'm just lucky to be able to keep up with you guys.

I forgot to ask?
How was your ride today. Finally the weather is improving.

mikesbytes said:

11ring said:
I forgot to ask?
How was your ride today. Finally the weather is improving.
My sons birthday so I didn't go. I'm also commited tomorrow, so I'm not going on the group ride, but I may go out by myself for a short one, early on.

Did you race at Heffron today? How did you go?

Not sure who Matt is. I'm not that crash hot with names. Does Matt look fairly muscular and have a tan coloured skin?

That is Matt.

Is that the same son who is the good for nothing (not even buying you grog) teenager?

Does he ride?

mikesbytes said:
Not sure who Matt is. I'm not that crash hot with names. Does Matt look fairly muscular and have a tan coloured skin?

11ring said:
Is that the same son who is the good for nothing (not even buying you grog) teenager? Does he ride?
I assume you are referring to my 16 year old. I'll have to wait another 2 years before I can send him out for a bottle of red. He has an Avanti mountain bike, but just rides local, down to the shops sort of stuff. The mountain bike is the correct size for me, so when he out grows it, I've got a mountain bike. Didn't see you up Newtown tonight.

I went to the courthouse, ended up with 1 hour sleep and 'bonking before the ride'. Nice ride though, good weather, and I did okay in the bunch sprint.

mikesbytes said:
I assume you are referring to my 16 year old. I'll have to wait another 2 years before I can send him out for a bottle of red. He has an Avanti mountain bike, but just rides local, down to the shops sort of stuff. The mountain bike is the correct size for me, so when he out grows it, I've got a mountain bike. Didn't see you up Newtown tonight.

11ring said:
I went to the courthouse, ended up with 1 hour sleep and 'bonking before the ride'. Nice ride though, good weather, and I did okay in the bunch sprint.
Had to take my 13 year old to soccer, hence missing the ride. I went out later in the afternoon and did a few laps around centennial. I'll be down at Tempe velodrome tonight.

You have a track bike?

mikesbytes said:
Had to take my 13 year old to soccer, hence missing the ride. I went out later in the afternoon and did a few laps around centennial. I'll be down at Tempe velodrome tonight.

A fuji, I got it for $250 about a month ago. That's why I haven't got any pedals on my hack bike.

Practiced my sprinting tonight.

If I wake up in time, I'll go and do the 6am Lidcome-Auburn training at Olympic.

Made it out to Olympic, although I had to belt it to get there on time. Practiced my sprints on the hill.

They are restarting the Homebush bay Sunday morning racing at the tennis courts, but this time it will be on a closed circuit. 8am I think, but need to check. I'm going to look up the details on the Waratah web site, apparently in the newsletter.

Lindsay is going to Thailand this Thursday, so we won't see him for a couple of weeks.

mikesbytes said:
They are restarting the Homebush bay Sunday morning racing at the tennis courts, but this time it will be on a closed circuit. 8am I think, but need to check. I'm going to look up the details on the Waratah web site, apparently in the newsletter.

It's only one event at this stage (the LACC newsletter says they are looking for a good roll up to convince the powers that be that racing at Homebush is a good thing) this Sunday (6/8). It'll be 7:30 for E,D and C grade and 8:30 for B, A1 and A. I usually race with Waratah when they are at Lansdowne but will most likely show up for this.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
It's only one event at this stage (the LACC newsletter says they are looking for a good roll up to convince the powers that be that racing at Homebush is a good thing) this Sunday (6/8). It'll be 7:30 for E,D and C grade and 8:30 for B, A1 and A. I usually race with Waratah when they are at Lansdowne but will most likely show up for this.

--brett
I have a non racing license, so I assume I'd have to get one for the day, $10?. is E,D&C racing together?

mikesbytes said:
I have a non racing license, so I assume I'd have to get one for the day, $10?. is E,D&C racing together?

I'm not really sure re: the license. I recently took a friend for a first time race (who had no license (at all), though not to a vets race) and it was a bit of a hassle and I believe the day license was $20 (though don't quote me on that). I can say the vets run very organized racing and if you ask them directly (via email) they'll probably be able to give a better answer. I would think you'd be able to roll up on the day and get a ride. If you do this, make sure you give yourself a good 30-45m to sort out the paperwork prior to racing commencing.

In terms of the grades, as I haven't raced at Homebush I can only make the assumption it'll be the same as Lansdowne, or the Eastern Creek Dragway. Where C will go first, then they gap the subsequent grades by 30-60s but will have the 3 grades on the track at the same time. However, apparently the track is very short so the assumption may not hold true. I regularly race at Dunc Gray and they typically only ever have a max of two grades on the track at the same time due to it being so short.

Not really a very helpful answer was it?

--brett

Thanks Brett, I'm in my first ever race this Saturday, the ride for life at Centennial. The cost was $30 to enter and I'll be charged an additional $18 on the day for the one day license.

If I did race on Sunday, it would be a funny start to racing. Two races back to back days ! Also I'd have to guess the grade, hence I'd prefer if they were together, as that would eliminate the guess work.

Edit: The cycling federation called me, I cannot race on Saturday with a 1 day license extension to my existing non racing license. However I can get an upgrade to my license with a 6 month license, at a cost of $40 and this covers me for the rest of the year. And that would cover me for Sunday.

mikesbytes said:
Thanks Brett, I'm in my first ever race this Saturday, the ride for life at Centennial. The cost was $30 to enter and I'll be charged an additional $18 on the day for the one day license.

If I did race on Sunday, it would be a funny start to racing. Two races back to back days ! Also I'd have to guess the grade, hence I'd prefer if they were together, as that would eliminate the guess work.

I wasn't aware the Ride for Life was graded as such? Just open divisional categories. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Anyway you'll find regardless that grading requires a little guesswork, different clubs have different strengths in the individual grades. So unless you are simply riding one club (or combined clubs) the first race could be anywhere from way below to way above your ability or any point in between. The bottom line is the first races will be a learning curve, concentrate on having fun and take it from there.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
I wasn't aware the Ride for Life was graded as such? Just open divisional categories. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Anyway you'll find regardless that grading requires a little guesswork, different clubs have different strengths in the individual grades. So unless you are simply riding one club (or combined clubs) the first race could be anywhere from way below to way above your ability or any point in between. The bottom line is the first races will be a learning curve, concentrate on having fun and take it from there.

--brett
Ride for life is graded races on a closed circuit, that being the semi triangle that takes you up the hill to the paddington exit and then goes accross to the bondi junction exit and then down to the main loop where you return in the "wrong" direction to the paddington hill. What they also have is a family ride in the arvo, where you just do as many laps as you want of the main loop, presumibly observing the 30kmh speed limit. Check out the links in one of previous posts on this thread.