Forcing breakaways

mikesbytes said:
Ride for life is graded races on a closed circuit, that being the semi triangle that takes you up the hill to the paddington exit and then goes accross to the bondi junction exit and then down to the main loop where you return in the "wrong" direction to the paddington hill.

I looked at it in the open events program on the Cycling NSW site a few months back. Looking at the rideforlife.com.au site at:

http://www.rideforlife.org.au/2006/index.php?id=program

The program shows divisional racing, ie elite, masters, u23, u19 etc. But I can't see any gradings within the divisions. Looking at last years results which seem to run in the same divisions at:

http://www.rideforlife.org.au/index.php?id=2005/results

The top end of the masters field with guys like Eddie Salas and Charles Topfer are out of my league. I've seen Eddie ride off the front (solo) of fairly large club level A grade events.

I hope you're right, but you might want to check that it's not just divisional.

--brett

I've sent you an email. The riders I know are A/B grade. But my view is skewed cause I know those guys as I race against them.

--brett

mikesbytes said:
I'm probably using the wrong terminology. It was Brian Crawford who called me and said that I had to have a full license.

Have a look at this link and tell me what you think. Also do you know the grading (A,B,C,D) of any of the riders?

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/Files/Races/2006/06158/06158.htm

sideshow_bob said:
I've sent you an email. The riders I know are A/B grade. But my view is skewed cause I know those guys as I race against them.

--brett
Thanks Brett, I've just send you a long winded email. Plenty for me to learn.

What I need is 11Ring to push me up the hills. Just need him to fake his age so he can enter vets.
smile.gif

I would if I could. Except I have trouble passing for 25 let alone 40.

mikesbytes said:
Thanks Brett, I've just send you a long winded email. Plenty for me to learn.

What I need is 11Ring to push me up the hills. Just need him to fake his age so he can enter vets.
smile.gif

11ring said:
I would if I could. Except I have trouble passing for 25 let alone 40.
35 actually. Anyway you would be late to work.

Weather doesn't look that crash hot for Saturday racing.

Someone, I think lidcome/auburn are holding racing at Olympic on Sunday morning. It's a once off, to test popularity. I can't find the details anywhere, if anyone knows, can they post a link.

mikesbytes said:
35 actually. Anyway you would be late to work.

Weather doesn't look that crash hot for Saturday racing.

Someone, I think lidcome/auburn are holding racing at Olympic on Sunday morning. It's a once off, to test popularity. I can't find the details anywhere, if anyone knows, can they post a link.

It's Waratah Vets racing at Homebush on Sunday, Lidcombe are supplying a few traffic marshalls apparently.

http://www.waratahvcc.asn.au/eventschedule.cfm?action=month&month=08-2006&Submit=Submit

--brett

mikesbytes said:

You might be glad you skipped Sunday at Homebush Mike. The track is a dead flat triangle around the Sydney International Tennis Center. Someone said it was 2.5km, but as I wasn't riding with a computer I can't verify and it felt a little shorter. The track has a little water on the back straight and the second turn was trecherous. A couple of guys tried riding of the front around it in A grade, with one coming down. Shortly after a B grade rider came down hard and had to be ambo'ed away. Looked like he did a shoulder or collar bone, hope he is ok.

Two guys rode off the front and the group wasn't keen to motor after them given the crashes. This was just training for me and I was happy sitting in the middle out of harms way. Last lap predictably no one wanted to lead out, I think someone else mentioned a 'fat sprinters paradise'. While A grade aren't exactly fat it was going to be a crazy bunch sprint, so I lead out with about half a lap to go gapped the field and was safely out of harms way into the final corner. Ran out of gas and got swamped with about 20m to go, but was happy for the workout and also staying upright.

Anyway, the track is okay, has a coffee shop on hand (big bonus), was very well run and marshalled as the Vets club always does. I couldn't really recommend the faster groups for someone who doesn't have at least a few crit races under their belt. I've raced more than a few and never really felt that comfortable out there, it seemed like the oportunity for mass carnage was high (maybe in the complete dry it would be a bit different).

--brett

Hi Brett, I was happy with my outcome on the ride-for-life on Saturday and have the details in this thread. I should add that I'm not aware of anyone coming down on Saturday.

Sounds like the Olympic Tennis course you rode today (Sunday) isn't that crash hot in the wet, sorry to hear of the accidents. How about if the course was dry? Grade wise, I'd be in the C or D, which puts me in the C/D/E race, saftely away from A/B, especially the pointy end where you are!

Because my calfs didn't recover properly from Saturday, I decided that Sunday needed to be used as recovery, so I did the ride out to Waterfall with my club. 11ring and Eric, where were you? It was a nice day for a ride!

mikesbytes said:
Hi Brett, I was happy with my outcome on the ride-for-life on Saturday and have the details in this thread. I should add that I'm not aware of anyone coming down on Saturday.

Sounds like the Olympic Tennis course you rode today (Sunday) isn't that crash hot in the wet, sorry to hear of the accidents. How about if the course was dry? Grade wise, I'd be in the C or D, which puts me in the C/D/E race, saftely away from A/B, especially the pointy end where you are!

I saw your thread and sent an email, might have got lost in the ether. I'll try that again.

The track is probably fine in the dry. Turn 1 is sort of a fast sweeping U turn, the downside is the exit has paint on the road directing traffic and those little cateye reflectors so not perfect, pretty much done single file with a hard acceleration on the exit. The back straight narrows down and you end up taking turn 2 single file, you slow right down then everyone accelerates out of the corner, so it's hard on the legs lap after lap, turn 3 isn't really a turn, more just a sweep into the start/finish straight. Really a sprinters circuit, though if you are feeling brave you can go from a long way out and make the pure sprinters hurt.

Because Vets run A, A1, B, C an so on, you'll find you probably run a grade higher (cause of the inclusion of A1), you might find yourself overly strong in C grade and looking at B grade. Next race is next Sunday at Lansdowne, which is a really good track for starting on.

I didn't watch the earlier racing so I don't know if everyone stayed upright. I think it's a misconception that the faster grades have more spills. It's all pretty even, though you don't generally see very many.

--brett

I thought it would rain, so slept in. Also hungover. Better to have skipped the party then the ride i think now.

BTW the new bike is done, can't wait for a good day to test it out.

11ring and Eric, where were you? It was a nice day for a ride![/QUOTE]

Hey 11ring, post a picture of your newly completed bike.

BTW, was that the same chick or a different chick you were with today?

Check your previous post "the blond in newtown".

Friend yesterday had died black hair and is 12 years older.

Will stick a pic up soon.

mikesbytes said:
Hey 11ring, post a picture of your newly completed bike.

BTW, was that the same chick or a different chick you were with today?

11ring said:
Check your previous post "the blond in newtown".

Friend yesterday had died black hair and is 12 years older.

Will stick a pic up soon.
I didn't think so. <nudge nudge wink wink>

On Saturday I was talking to this bloke who works for cycling news and he was telling me that he is in a grade called A-club, which has been formed between A and B.

Here is the pic of me and the bike. Backround is new store in stanmore- 148 parramatta Rd, Stanmore.

mikesbytes said:
I didn't think so. <nudge nudge wink wink>

On Saturday I was talking to this bloke who works for cycling news and he was telling me that he is in a grade called A-club, which has been formed between A and B.

11ring said:
Here is the pic of me and the bike. Backround is new store in stanmore- 148 parramatta Rd, Stanmore.
Cool bike. I've got no chance of keeping up with you now.

New location much closer to where I live (Ashfield). Stanmore cycles isn't going to like it.

I think Stanmore Cycles will be okay- they sell different stuff anyway. We didn't plan to move to Stanmore- just the only place we could find that was suitable.

mikesbytes said:
Cool bike. I've got no chance of keeping up with you now.

New location much closer to where I live (Ashfield). Stanmore cycles isn't going to like it.

Actually it is closer. I will be there this Sat, but i can't wait till it is a 4pm start again.

mikesbytes said:
Going to make getting to Heffron park after work a little more tighter for you.

So back to the starting thread- yesterday I did a crit, 40km long.

No one worked so just sat at the front and slowed everything down. Then about 14km from the finish the pack contracts on a hill, so i race over the crest on the outside, quickly find a 20 metter gap and catch the back of A grade. Then i find 2 helpers as well, we overtake A, but we couldn't get a good rythym. 2-3 laps afterwards we are back together. Then with half a lap to go I try the same thing, get no gap but get launched to first wheel, which i hold to the start of the sprint and then get smoked.

I really thought we were away. Next time.