Forerunner 301

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Hill, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    This is probably a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway...

    A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner 301, which is a
    combined GPS and heart-rate monitor, designed to go on your wrist. I'm
    very happy with the 301 itself, but the software that comes with it
    ("Training Centre") is absolutely awful. When it's working the "mapping"
    function is a joke, usually producing nothing but a blank background
    with the route superimposed over the top. The graphing function of
    heart-rate and elevation against time is nice, but the main problem is
    that the software will only occasionally recognise that the 301 is
    plugged in (via USB). I'm pretty sure it's a software fault as
    SportTracks can see the 301 even when Training Centre can't. SportTracks
    is OK, and its mapping function is very good indeed, but it doesn't
    allow for graphical representation of heart-rate, elevation, etc.,
    against time.

    My questions;

    1) Anyone else got a 301 and experiencing similar problems?

    2) Anyone know of other software that will work with a 301?

    I've had a look at the gpsman page and, as far as I can see, there is no
    support yet for Garmin USB GPSs.

    Any comments gratefully received...
    --
    Chris Hill

    Tags:

  2. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Chris Hill wrote:
    > This is probably a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway...
    >
    > A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner 301, which is a
    > combined GPS and heart-rate monitor, designed to go on your wrist. I'm
    > very happy with the 301 itself, but the software that comes with it
    > ("Training Centre") is absolutely awful. When it's working the "mapping"
    > function is a joke, usually producing nothing but a blank background
    > with the route superimposed over the top. The graphing function of
    > heart-rate and elevation against time is nice, but the main problem is
    > that the software will only occasionally recognise that the 301 is
    > plugged in (via USB). I'm pretty sure it's a software fault as
    > SportTracks can see the 301 even when Training Centre can't. SportTracks
    > is OK, and its mapping function is very good indeed, but it doesn't
    > allow for graphical representation of heart-rate, elevation, etc.,
    > against time.
    >
    > My questions;
    >
    > 1) Anyone else got a 301 and experiencing similar problems?
    >
    > 2) Anyone know of other software that will work with a 301?
    >
    > I've had a look at the gpsman page and, as far as I can see, there is no
    > support yet for Garmin USB GPSs.
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received...

    Anquet (and Memory Map?) will support Garmin USB GPSs

    druidh

  3. "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Chris Hill wrote:
    >> This is probably a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway...
    >>
    >> A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner 301, which is a
    >> combined GPS and heart-rate monitor, designed to go on your wrist. I'm
    >> very happy with the 301 itself, but the software that comes with it
    >> ("Training Centre") is absolutely awful. When it's working the "mapping"
    >> function is a joke, usually producing nothing but a blank background with
    >> the route superimposed over the top. The graphing function of heart-rate
    >> and elevation against time is nice, but the main problem is that the
    >> software will only occasionally recognise that the 301 is plugged in (via
    >> USB). I'm pretty sure it's a software fault as SportTracks can see the
    >> 301 even when Training Centre can't. SportTracks is OK, and its mapping
    >> function is very good indeed, but it doesn't allow for graphical
    >> representation of heart-rate, elevation, etc., against time.
    >>
    >> My questions;
    >>
    >> 1) Anyone else got a 301 and experiencing similar problems?
    >>
    >> 2) Anyone know of other software that will work with a 301?
    >>
    >> I've had a look at the gpsman page and, as far as I can see, there is no
    >> support yet for Garmin USB GPSs.
    >>
    >> Any comments gratefully received...

    > Anquet (and Memory Map?) will support Garmin USB GPSs
    >

    > druidh

    It can be finicky though. Sometimes Anquet can't see my 201 even though
    Training Center can.

  4. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, druidh
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Chris Hill wrote:
    >> This is probably a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway...
    >> A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner 301, which is a
    >>combined GPS and heart-rate monitor, designed to go on your wrist. I'm
    >>very happy with the 301 itself, but the software that comes with it
    >>("Training Centre") is absolutely awful. When it's working the
    >>"mapping" function is a joke, usually producing nothing but a blank
    >>background with the route superimposed over the top. The graphing
    >>function of heart-rate and elevation against time is nice, but the
    >>main problem is that the software will only occasionally recognise
    >>that the 301 is plugged in (via USB). I'm pretty sure it's a software
    >>fault as SportTracks can see the 301 even when Training Centre can't.
    >>SportTracks is OK, and its mapping function is very good indeed, but
    >>it doesn't allow for graphical representation of heart-rate,
    >>elevation, etc., against time.
    >> My questions;
    >> 1) Anyone else got a 301 and experiencing similar problems?
    >> 2) Anyone know of other software that will work with a 301?
    >> I've had a look at the gpsman page and, as far as I can see, there
    >>is no support yet for Garmin USB GPSs.
    >> Any comments gratefully received...

    >Anquet

    Found the Anquet website;

    http://www.anquet.co.uk

    The software looks good, but unfortunately the Forerunner is not in the
    list of supported devices :(

    >(and Memory Map?) will support Garmin USB GPSs

    http://www.memory-map.co.uk

    Again, no specific listing for the Forerunner. Software looks good, but
    as this GPS is relatively new I'd want to check with them first for
    specific compatibility.

    Thanks for the pointers, BTW. A lot more helpful than Garmin's own
    customer support who insisted that the Forerunner was not compatible
    with any other software (a statement which I've already seen is not
    true). OK, so I don't expect them to endorse anyone else's products, but
    I do think they could have been a *little* bit more helpful.
    --
    Chris Hill

  5. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    <[email protected]> writes

    <snip>

    >It can be finicky though. Sometimes Anquet can't see my 201 even though
    >Training Center can.

    Have you had any problems with Training Centre itself not seeing the
    201?
    --
    Chris Hill

  6. "Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>It can be finicky though. Sometimes Anquet can't see my 201 even though
    >>Training Center can.

    > Have you had any problems with Training Centre itself not seeing the 201?
    > --
    > Chris Hill

    Yes just occasionally. I find though if I shut it down and restart Training
    Centre it's usually Ok

  7. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]on.co.uk...
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>It can be finicky though. Sometimes Anquet can't see my 201 even though
    >>>Training Center can.

    >> Have you had any problems with Training Centre itself not seeing the 201?
    >> --
    >> Chris Hill

    >Yes just occasionally. I find though if I shut it down and restart Training
    >Centre it's usually Ok

    Hm. Mine doesn't do that. Even re-installing the software and USB
    drivers hasn't helped this time. I'm waiting for Garmin "support" to
    come back off holiday to see if they've got any suggestions, though I'm
    not living in hope...
    --
    Chris Hill

  8. "Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    >>> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Have you had any problems with Training Centre itself not seeing the
    >>> 201?
    >>> --
    >>> Chris Hill

    >>Yes just occasionally. I find though if I shut it down and restart
    >>Training
    >>Centre it's usually Ok

    > Hm. Mine doesn't do that. Even re-installing the software and USB drivers
    > hasn't helped this time. I'm waiting for Garmin "support" to come back off
    > holiday to see if they've got any suggestions, though I'm not living in
    > hope...
    > --
    > Chris Hill

    Sometimes I also have to unclip and reclip the cradle. You could try that
    too.

  9. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>>"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Yes just occasionally. I find though if I shut it down and restart
    >>>Training
    >>>Centre it's usually Ok

    >> Hm. Mine doesn't do that. Even re-installing the software and USB drivers
    >> hasn't helped this time. I'm waiting for Garmin "support" to come back off
    >> holiday to see if they've got any suggestions, though I'm not living in
    >> hope...
    >> --
    >> Chris Hill
    >>

    >Sometimes I also have to unclip and reclip the cradle. You could try that
    >too.

    Doesn't have a cradle, just a straight USB cable. Unplugging and
    re-plugging doesn't help, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    --
    Chris Hill

  10. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Chris I don't know if you are aware of it but there is a group on Yahoo that
    >might be able to help you.
    >
    >try here.

    Thanks - I never thought of yahoo groups.

    I've just subscribed and had a quick look, there seem to be a lot of 301
    discussions. This is going to need some research.
    --
    Chris Hill

  11. "Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is probably a long shot, but I'll give it a try anyway...
    >
    > A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner 301, which is a
    > combined GPS and heart-rate monitor, designed to go on your wrist. I'm
    > very happy with the 301 itself, but the software that comes with it
    > ("Training Centre") is absolutely awful. When it's working the "mapping"
    > function is a joke, usually producing nothing but a blank background with
    > the route superimposed over the top. The graphing function of heart-rate
    > and elevation against time is nice, but the main problem is that the
    > software will only occasionally recognise that the 301 is plugged in (via
    > USB). I'm pretty sure it's a software fault as SportTracks can see the 301
    > even when Training Centre can't. SportTracks is OK, and its mapping
    > function is very good indeed, but it doesn't allow for graphical
    > representation of heart-rate, elevation, etc., against time.
    >
    > My questions;
    >
    > 1) Anyone else got a 301 and experiencing similar problems?
    >
    > 2) Anyone know of other software that will work with a 301?
    >
    > I've had a look at the gpsman page and, as far as I can see, there is no
    > support yet for Garmin USB GPSs.
    >
    > Any comments gratefully received...
    > --
    > Chris Hill

    Chris have you had a look at Mick Chawners BackUpForeRunner software in the
    files section of the Yahoo Garmin group? I've just got it going today on my
    PC and early indications are that it has considerably more functionality
    than Training Center including total ascent and descent, shoe mileage to
    name but a couple of extra things.

  12. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bob Watkinson
    <[email protected]> writes

    <snip>

    >Chris have you had a look at Mick Chawners BackUpForeRunner software in the
    >files section of the Yahoo Garmin group? I've just got it going today on my
    >PC and early indications are that it has considerably more functionality
    >than Training Center including total ascent and descent, shoe mileage to
    >name but a couple of extra things.

    I hadn't looked in the Files section at all, but now I see there's a lot
    of interesting stuff in there.

    Unfortunately the utility you mention doesn't help me with my main
    problem of not being able to talk to the 301 - it only works on files
    already exported from Training Centre.

    But thanks anyway...
    --
    Chris Hill