* * Chas said:<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:* * Chas said:"Melt forged" was/is a BS term for injection molding, a method for
makingQuoted message said:Quoted message said:high quality castings.
I think you meant die casting, not injection molding. Although the
processes are conceptually very similar, when it's done with metal,
it's called die casting. When it's done with plastic, it's called
injection molding. At least, that's true everywhere I've come across
it.Quoted message said:A casting is still a casting and doesn't have the benefits of
increasedQuoted message said:Quoted message said:metal density that comes from forging.
Hmm. Well, forgings definitely tend to be stronger per unit weight,
but there are a wide variety of casting processes. Some are clearly
better than others regarding accuracy, finish, mechanical properties,
etc.As Andrew noted, it's certainly possible to make perfectly acceptable
parts by casting. The cast parts may be a bit heavier, but the
difference is probably undetectable to most riders.When you get to the point where you're counting grams, then yes, you
probably want forged parts.Unless you go with carbon fiber. ;-)
- Frank Krygowski
You're right, the process is called Die Casting. I was in a hurry when I
wrote that. I guess that I'm getting old and the memory gland doesn't
always work as well as it once did. ;-)Die casting is used to make castings from aluminum, magnesium, zinc alloys
(zamac), and copper and it's alloys (brass & bronze).I object to the term "melt forged" which is a misleading misnomer rather
than castings in general.
it's not. "casting" is used for liquid solidification. "melt forged"
or thixoforming does in no way produce the same product as casting.
Quoted message said:
Someone at a LBS showed me a hollow Shimano crank arm that had been cut in
half. He said Shimano told him it was a forging. I looked it over and
could tell it had been cast.
what features led you that conclusion? i ask because those things are
most definitely forged - and the above illustrates that you have some
confusion on this subject. if you have access to metallography, it
would be good for you to use it - you'll see what i mean the moment you
look down the microscope.