Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Forgive me, Tullio...for I have sinned

Started by CAMPYBOB · · Last activity · 1 post · 369 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
19 February 2014
Last activity
19 February 2014
Original author
CAMPYBOB
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
369
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have the old Gardin track bike bolted to the Kurt Kinetic trainer and after an hour of driving myself insane (it's a short cruise!) turning the pedals I got it in my head that after three years it was time to re-pack the bottom bracket. The Gipiemme hubs are externally greasable, as are the Campy Superleggeri track pedals...2 minutes to grease all that. I had already loosened the C-Record headset this fall and wiped/smeared it up.

    That only left the BB...a Campy Record track model with a frackin' shimaNO Dura Ass crankset on it...the frame builder was out of Campy track cranks when he shipped it to me and 'thought' I wouldn't mind the fishing equipment...damn it to hell!

    I actually had the shimaNO double-pronged tool needed to remove the dust caps. A Campy square taper crank puller is a perfect fit to the copycat Dura Ass! Pulled the axle and bearings to find the grease was only a little dirty. Not bad for a bike that sees mainly winter use on fouled roads. This BB has been in service since the 1980's and the races and balls looked like new.

    It just dawned on me...the only user serviceable bearings on my new bikes are the rear derailleur bushings. Everything else is...throw away. Progress...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.