Fork advice please

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan E. Cur, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
    steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
    I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel
    stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and I'm leaning this
    direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only relitivley
    light Marz's out there in my price range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but
    heavy. Also, I only weigh in at around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read rave that these forks
    are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I ride an 18" steel
    hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding,
    and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them). SO, with all
    that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and riding
    style? Thanks in advance,

    JC

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
    > steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
    > I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel
    > stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and I'm leaning this
    > direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only relitivley
    > light Marz's out there in my price range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but
    > heavy. Also, I only weigh in at around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read rave that these forks
    > are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I ride an 18" steel
    > hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding,
    > and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them). SO, with all
    > that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and riding
    > style? Thanks in advance,

    You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.

    JD

  3. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
    rather
    > > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
    Judy
    > > XC, and I'm looking for some direction. I've never felt really
    comforable
    > > with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in
    > > reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
    I'm
    > > leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the
    > > only relitivley light Marz's out there in my
    price
    > > range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
    > > around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
    rave
    > > that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff
    for
    > > someone my size? I ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs
    or
    > > jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding, and
    consider
    > > myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them).
    SO,
    > > with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size
    > > and riding style? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.
    >
    > JD

    Assuming your riding an MTB and mostly XC, the Zoke's are a good fork. Unless your a top racer and
    that's your focus, a pound here or there won't make a difference.

  4. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
    rather
    > > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
    Judy
    > > XC, and I'm looking for some direction. I've never felt really
    comforable
    > > with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in
    > > reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
    I'm
    > > leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the
    > > only relitivley light Marz's out there in my
    price
    > > range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
    > > around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
    rave
    > > that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff
    for
    > > someone my size? I ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs
    or
    > > jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding, and
    consider
    > > myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them).
    SO,
    > > with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size
    > > and riding style? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.
    >
    > JD

    BTW JD, shut up unless your going to actually be helpful for a change.

  5. D Heath

    D Heath Guest

    "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
    rather
    > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for
    > some direction. I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really
    > doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
    I'm
    > leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only
    > relitivley light Marz's out there in my
    price
    > range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
    > around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
    rave
    > that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I
    > ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly
    > into fast XC riding, and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I
    > break them).
    SO,
    > with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and
    > riding style? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > JC

    I ride similar stuff to what you describe, and am about the same weight as you. I started on a
    97 JudyXC (80mm), then had a 99SID (80mm) for several years. I liked the SID much more than the
    Judy, and had very good experience with it as far as maintenance, etc. (Still have it now, but
    it needs the seals replaced, maybe new cartridge too.) I recently got a Marzocchi MarathonS
    (100mm) and it is a very sweet fork. Mine is 2002 model, with 3 position lockout, which is very
    handy, and worth using regularly if you do much climbing. Break-in period has been reported by
    some to be lengthy, but mine rides very smoothly and seemed to take not more than two or three
    decent rides for that to come about. I strongly recommend getting a 100psi pump because you need
    a precise gauge for setting the low pressure these run, and even 3-4 pounds difference is
    significant, in my experience. I run about 37psi plus about 95 on the negative pressure. I also
    found that the 100mm set up my 98 Klein Mantra much better than 80mm did, and I have much more
    control, stability, and resistance to endos than before. I wish I had put something with 100mm
    on it long ago. Plus, with the lockout capability, there is no problem with the front end being
    too light on steep climbs, (would have been a downside of moving to 100mm up front.)
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath To reply, poke out my eye.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. Jonathan E. Curry wrote:
    > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
    > steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.

    1997! Are we talking 1" steering tube or 1 and 1/8 ?

    Depending on your frame you may be in for a bad surprise with big trouble finding any
    forks that fit!

    Regards

    Bruno

  8. It is 1-1/8. If it was still 1" I think I'd be looking at new frames! <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    > Jonathan E. Curry wrote:
    > > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
    rather
    > > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
    Judy
    > > XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
    >
    > 1997! Are we talking 1" steering tube or 1 and 1/8 ?
    >
    > Depending on your frame you may be in for a bad surprise with big trouble finding any forks
    > that fit!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Bruno

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > BTW JD, shut up unless your going to actually be helpful for a change.

    Many have tried to stifle me, yet none have succeeded. What makes you think you can?

    JD

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 97' Voodoo Wanga, 18".

    Surly 1x1 rigid. It's light, stiff and strong. It may even help you gain some skills.

    JD

  11. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest