Fork advice please

Status

Jonathan E. Cur

Guest
I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel
stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and I'm leaning this
direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only relitivley
light Marz's out there in my price range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but
heavy. Also, I only weigh in at around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read rave that these forks
are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I ride an 18" steel
hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding,
and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them). SO, with all
that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and riding
style? Thanks in advance,

JC

Jd

Guest
"Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
> steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
> I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel
> stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and I'm leaning this
> direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only relitivley
> light Marz's out there in my price range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but
> heavy. Also, I only weigh in at around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read rave that these forks
> are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I ride an 18" steel
> hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding,
> and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them). SO, with all
> that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and riding
> style? Thanks in advance,

You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.

JD

..::Tbf::..

Guest
--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
rather
> > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
Judy
> > XC, and I'm looking for some direction. I've never felt really
comforable
> > with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in
> > reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
I'm
> > leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the
> > only relitivley light Marz's out there in my
price
> > range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
> > around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
rave
> > that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff
for
> > someone my size? I ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs
or
> > jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding, and
consider
> > myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them).
SO,
> > with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size
> > and riding style? Thanks in advance,
>
> You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.
>
> JD

Assuming your riding an MTB and mostly XC, the Zoke's are a good fork. Unless your a top racer and
that's your focus, a pound here or there won't make a difference.

..::Tbf::..

Guest
--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
rather
> > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
Judy
> > XC, and I'm looking for some direction. I've never felt really
comforable
> > with this fork, in rough cornering it really doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in
> > reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
I'm
> > leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the
> > only relitivley light Marz's out there in my
price
> > range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
> > around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
rave
> > that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff
for
> > someone my size? I ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs
or
> > jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly into fast XC riding, and
consider
> > myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I break them).
SO,
> > with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size
> > and riding style? Thanks in advance,
>
> You never said what bike you need a fork for. How very lame of you.
>
> JD

BTW JD, shut up unless your going to actually be helpful for a change.

D Heath

Guest
"Jonathan E. Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
rather
> than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for
> some direction. I've never felt really comforable with this fork, in rough cornering it really
> doesn't feel stable. Everything I read here and in reviews would lead me to a Marzocchi, and
I'm
> leaning this direction. I'm kind of a weight weenee though, and the Marathons seems to be the only
> relitivley light Marz's out there in my
price
> range ($200-350+/-). The new MX comp or pro ETA look great, but heavy. Also, I only weigh in at
> around 160 lb. Many of the reviews I've read
rave
> that these forks are great for heavier riders - will they be too stiff for someone my size? I
> ride an 18" steel hardtail, I rarely hit drop-offs or jumps greater than a couple feet, mainly
> into fast XC riding, and consider myself fairly easy on my bikes (I wear things out before I
> break them).
SO,
> with all that in mind, can anyone give me some advice on a Marzocchi (or other) to fit my size and
> riding style? Thanks in advance,
>
> JC

I ride similar stuff to what you describe, and am about the same weight as you. I started on a
97 JudyXC (80mm), then had a 99SID (80mm) for several years. I liked the SID much more than the
Judy, and had very good experience with it as far as maintenance, etc. (Still have it now, but
it needs the seals replaced, maybe new cartridge too.) I recently got a Marzocchi MarathonS
(100mm) and it is a very sweet fork. Mine is 2002 model, with 3 position lockout, which is very
handy, and worth using regularly if you do much climbing. Break-in period has been reported by
some to be lengthy, but mine rides very smoothly and seemed to take not more than two or three
decent rides for that to come about. I strongly recommend getting a 100psi pump because you need
a precise gauge for setting the low pressure these run, and even 3-4 pounds difference is
significant, in my experience. I run about 37psi plus about 95 on the negative pressure. I also
found that the 100mm set up my 98 Klein Mantra much better than 80mm did, and I have much more
control, stability, and resistance to endos than before. I wish I had put something with 100mm
on it long ago. Plus, with the lockout capability, there is no problem with the front end being
too light on steep climbs, (would have been a downside of moving to 100mm up front.)
--
Off to ride the mountains, Dale Heath To reply, poke out my eye.

Jonathan E. Cur

Guest
news:[email protected]...

Jonathan E. Curry wrote:
> I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So rather than buy a new
> steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS Judy XC, and I'm looking for some direction.

1997! Are we talking 1" steering tube or 1 and 1/8 ?

Depending on your frame you may be in for a bad surprise with big trouble finding any
forks that fit!

Regards

Bruno

Jonathan E. Cur

Guest
It is 1-1/8. If it was still 1" I think I'd be looking at new frames! <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> Jonathan E. Curry wrote:
> > I just changed headsets, causing my steerer tube to be too short. So
rather
> > than buy a new steerer, I think I may be finally replacing my 97' RS
Judy
> > XC, and I'm looking for some direction.
>
> 1997! Are we talking 1" steering tube or 1 and 1/8 ?
>
> Depending on your frame you may be in for a bad surprise with big trouble finding any forks
> that fit!
>
> Regards
>
> Bruno

Guest