Fork Advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Axis, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Axis

    Axis Guest

    I have determined that I really need to replace my fork (03
    Psylo XC). It works fine it is just too soft. I have tried
    the heaviest spring I can get for it too. I weigh 200lbs.
    and I ride aggressive street and trails. I stay under 6'
    drops. The rear suspension will bottom on 5 to 6' drops to
    flat. This is good for me. I want a fork that feels the
    same and takes the same hits. I am happy with 5" of travel
    too. I would like to balance the front fork action with the
    rear suspension (I have the 600lbs. spring on the Fox
    vanilla R 2x2.25").

    Is there anything else I can do with my Psylo? I have extra
    springs around from a 02 Judy. Could I put one in the right
    fork leg since it doesn't have a spring?

    I need to stay as low $$$ as possible.

    I am considering the Marz Z1 drop off II. How adjustable is
    the air part of it? Will I need heavier springs? Any advice
    is greatly appreciated.

    Check out my bike....
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=169447

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Axis wrote:
    > I have determined that I really need to replace my fork
    > (03 Psylo
    > XC). It works fine it is just too soft. I have tried the
    > heaviest spring I can get for it too. I weigh 200lbs.
    > and I ride aggressive street and trails. I stay under
    > 6' drops. The rear suspension will bottom on 5 to 6'
    > drops to flat. This is good for me. I want a fork that
    > feels the same and takes the same hits. I am happy with
    > 5" of travel too. I would like to balance the front
    > fork action with the rear suspension (I have the
    > 600lbs. spring on the Fox vanilla R 2x2.25").
    >
    > Is there anything else I can do with my Psylo? I have
    > extra springs around from a 02 Judy. Could I put one in
    > the right fork leg since it doesn't have a spring?
    >
    > I need to stay as low $$$ as possible.
    >
    > I am considering the Marz Z1 drop off II. How adjustable
    > is the air part of it? Will I need heavier springs? Any
    > advice is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Check out my bike.... http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/pho-
    > to/?op=view&image=169447

    Yikes! 200 lbs doing 6' drop-offs on an air shock? I
    didn't think this was possible. I didn't think the seals
    would hold.

  3. Axis

    Axis Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yikes! 200 lbs doing 6' drop-offs on an air shock? I
    > didn't think this
    was
    > possible. I didn't think the seals would hold.

    No my shock is a coil over.

  4. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Axis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1LJ4c.19067$%[email protected]...
    > I have determined that I really need to replace my fork
    > (03 Psylo XC). It works fine it is just too soft. I have
    > tried the heaviest spring I can
    get
    > for it too. I weigh 200lbs. and I ride aggressive street
    > and trails. I stay under 6' drops. The rear suspension
    > will bottom on 5 to 6' drops to flat. This is good for me.
    > I want a fork that feels the same and takes
    the
    > same hits. I am happy with 5" of travel too. I would like
    > to balance the front fork action with the rear suspension
    > (I have the 600lbs. spring on
    the
    > Fox vanilla R 2x2.25").

    It seems strange to me that the extra firm spring will not
    work for you. I weigh 205, and with the type of riding I do
    (XC), and with my Psylo set at 80mm (this increases spring
    rate), the stock spring seems to work (barely, but works).
    I've got a firm spring, but since I've started riding again,
    the weight is coming off, and see no need to install it.
    Granted, I'm not doing drops.

  5. Jw

    Jw Guest

    It can't increase the spring rate. Maybe a shorter
    travel increases the preload, but it won't increase the
    spring's rate.

    "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Axis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1LJ-
    > 4c.19067$%[email protected]
    > > I have determined that I really need to replace my fork
    > > (03 Psylo XC).
    It
    > > works fine it is just too soft. I have tried the
    > > heaviest spring I can
    > get
    > > for it too. I weigh 200lbs. and I ride aggressive street
    > > and trails. I stay under 6' drops. The rear suspension
    > > will bottom on 5 to 6' drops
    > > flat. This is good for me. I want a fork that feels the
    > > same and takes
    > the
    > > same hits. I am happy with 5" of travel too. I would
    > > like to balance
    the
    > > front fork action with the rear suspension (I have the
    > > 600lbs. spring on
    > the
    > > Fox vanilla R 2x2.25").
    > >
    > It seems strange to me that the extra firm spring will not
    > work for you. I weigh 205, and with the type of riding I
    > do (XC), and with my Psylo set at 80mm (this increases
    > spring rate), the stock spring seems to work (barely, but
    > works). I've got a firm spring, but since I've started
    > riding again,
    the
    > weight is coming off, and see no need to install it.
    > Granted, I'm not
    doing
    > drops.

  6. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "jw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Axis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1-
    > > LJ4c.19067$%[email protected]
    > > > I have determined that I really need to replace my
    > > > fork (03 Psylo XC).
    > It
    > > > works fine it is just too soft. I have tried the
    > > > heaviest spring I
    can
    > > get
    > > > for it too. I weigh 200lbs. and I ride aggressive
    > > > street and trails.
    > > > stay under 6' drops. The rear suspension will bottom
    > > > on 5 to 6' drops
    > > > flat. This is good for me. I want a fork that feels
    > > > the same and
    takes
    > > the
    > > > same hits. I am happy with 5" of travel too. I would
    > > > like to balance
    > the
    > > > front fork action with the rear suspension (I have the
    > > > 600lbs. spring
    on
    > > the
    > > > Fox vanilla R 2x2.25").
    > > >
    > > It seems strange to me that the extra firm spring will
    > > not work for you.
    > > weigh 205, and with the type of riding I do (XC), and
    > > with my Psylo set
    at
    > > 80mm (this increases spring rate), the stock spring
    > > seems to work
    (barely,
    > > but works). I've got a firm spring, but since I've
    > > started riding again,
    > the
    > > weight is coming off, and see no need to install it.
    > > Granted, I'm not
    > doing
    > > drops.
    > >

    > It can't increase the spring rate. Maybe a shorter
    > travel increases the preload, but it won't increase the
    > spring's rate.

    I'll buy that.