Fork Conversion Help Needed

rplace13

Oct 30, 2007
I am looking to change my 1 inch threaded AL fork to a 1 inch threadless carbon fork....mostly just because...Does anybody see any reasons these two would not get the job done? If these won't work, why and what should I be looking for? Thanks!

Fork
NEW KINESIS CARBON FIBER ROAD BIKE FORK 1" THREADLESS - eBay (item 200410174775 end time Jun-22-10 11:18:59 PDT)

Headset
Chris King Headset, 1 inch MANGO - (NoThreadset) - eBay (item 390195830425 end time Jul-12-10 15:33:22 PDT)

I doubt it matters what the bike is, but it is my older Kestrel I have brought back from the grave all decked out in orange trim. I would very much like to get rid of that quill to threadless stem adaptor.
HalloweenBike1.jpg

That combination will work ...

BUT, if you can track down a KESTREL CF fork (roughly, pre-2003), you will possibly be much happier ... aesthetically, the Kestrel CF fork will complement your Kestrel frame AND the original Kestrel forks were (IMO) the standard against which other CF forks were/(are still?) to be judged.

rplace13 said:
I am looking to change my 1 inch threaded AL fork to a 1 inch threadless carbon fork....mostly just because...Does anybody see any reasons these two would not get the job done? If these won't work, why and what should I be looking for? Thanks!

Fork
NEW KINESIS CARBON FIBER ROAD BIKE FORK 1" THREADLESS - eBay (item 200410174775 end time Jun-22-10 11:18:59 PDT)

Headset
Chris King Headset, 1 inch MANGO - (NoThreadset) - eBay (item 390195830425 end time Jul-12-10 15:33:22 PDT)

I doubt it matters what the bike is, but it is my older Kestrel I have brought back from the grave all decked out in orange trim. I would very much like to get rid of that quill to threadless stem adaptor.
HalloweenBike1.jpg

Ad says it's a 27mm fork crown race(NJS type) but CK and most other headsets use a 26.4mm fork crown race. Cannot turn down a bonded carbon fork crown race like that pictured. Probably why it's so cheap.

Peter@vecchios said:
Ad says it's a 27mm fork crown race(NJS type) but CK and most other headsets use a 26.4mm fork crown race. Cannot turn down a bonded carbon fork crown race like that pictured. Probably why it's so cheap.

Really? Thanks for the heads up. Just curious as to why it can't be milled down. Many, many moons ago when I worked in a few shops we always had some really cool beefy campy tool that you stuck over the fork and "chewed" down the part of the fork the lower headset race sat on. Not exactly sure of the terms but I think the fork has a crown, right? and the headset has a race. The cown is milled down to fit the race....of course back then everything was steel/aluminum. Man, I am old:cool:

rplace13 said:
Really? Thanks for the heads up. Just curious as to why it can't be milled down. Many, many moons ago when I worked in a few shops we always had some really cool beefy campy tool that you stuck over the fork and "chewed" down the part of the fork the lower headset race sat on. Not exactly sure of the terms but I think the fork has a crown, right? and the headset has a race. The cown is milled down to fit the race....of course back then everything was steel/aluminum. Man, I am old:cool:
As far as reducing the crown race, while it may not be possible to machine it to a smaller circumference -- and, lacking the special Campy tool -- it can be manually reduced by using hand files with the caveat that this should not be the first time you've used hand tools.

BTW. I wouldn't call the asking price for an 8+ year old fork cheap at the asking price even if it is NOS ... I think the all-aluminum Kinesis fork (the steerer was steel because the forks were threaded) once retailed for close to $300!

I really think you'll be able to find a 1" Kestrel fork if you are patient ...

A worthy alternative for your Kestrel frame would be an Alpha Q fork.

rplace13 said:
Really? Thanks for the heads up. Just curious as to why it can't be milled down. Many, many moons ago when I worked in a few shops we always had some really cool beefy campy tool that you stuck over the fork and "chewed" down the part of the fork the lower headset race sat on. Not exactly sure of the terms but I think the fork has a crown, right? and the headset has a race. The crown is milled down to fit the race....of course back then everything was steel/aluminum. Man, I am old:cool:

Steel forks only. The bonded portion of the steerer as it disappears into the fork crown race is oversized and the tool can't get over it. Just look for a 26.4, 'normal' fork. Ritchey makes a nice one.