Fork Flexing

steve57910

New Member
Dec 28, 2003
I have a SOMA doublecross on which the stock fork flexes during braking. Short of getting a stiffer replacement fork, any ideas on how to mitigate? Bike shop thinks changing to a small brake pad, I am using v-brakes, to lessen contact area and forces, would help. Any recommendations on a replacement fork? Possibly an IRD CroMo Cross Fork?

Originally posted by steve57910
I have a SOMA doublecross on which the stock fork flexes during braking. Short of getting a stiffer replacement fork, any ideas on how to mitigate? Bike shop thinks changing to a small brake pad, I am using v-brakes, to lessen contact area and forces, would help. Any recommendations on a replacement fork? Possibly an IRD CroMo Cross Fork?

Surly.
I wouldn't think you would want to decrease braking force; if you did you would squeeze the lever less.

"steve57910" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a SOMA doublecross on which the stock fork flexes
> during braking. Short of getting a stiffer replacement
> fork, any ideas on how to mitigate? Bike shop thinks
> changing to a small brake pad, I am using v- brakes, to
> lessen contact area and forces, would help. Any
> recommendations on a replacement fork? Possibly an IRD
> CroMo Cross Fork?

I think ANY fork will flex to some degree or other depending
on the forces applied. A fork is just a big lever with it's
fulcrum at the wheel axle. I ride road bikes, and can easily
see fork flex on fast descents and hard braking. A fork that
DIDN'T flex would offer a very harsh ride. I would suspect
that the SOMA fork you have is as strong, if not stronger
that many out there, and you wouldn't know until you
purchased and installed a fork if it was better or worse
than the one you have now.

May I politely ask why you have the concern about your fork
flexing? Have you ridden other bikes under the same
conditions and noticed any difference? I would NOT change
your brakes at all. There will be that time when you will
need all the brakes you can get, fork flex or no.

. A fork that DIDN'T flex would offer a very harsh ride.

All forks offer a harsh ride. The ride is modified by
tyres etc.

steve57910 wrote:
> I have a SOMA doublecross on which the stock fork flexes
> during braking. Short of getting a stiffer replacement
> fork, any ideas on how to mitigate? Bike shop thinks
> changing to a small brake pad, I am using v- brakes, to
> lessen contact area and forces, would help. Any
> recommendations on a replacement fork? Possibly an IRD
> CroMo Cross Fork?

Forks flex during braking. Maybe you just didn't notice it
before? I'm not sure that is a "problem", necessarily.

And not sure I'd want to shop where "smaller brake pad" is
the answer to any brake question. Pad size is
inconsequential in bicycle brakes.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971