Fork material comparisons - differences between Carbon, Steel & Alloy?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi there.
I've done something stupid :eek: - I bought a fork that I thought was carbon(it looked it but the seller clearly said it was aluminium) as it was cheap and it'll do for my next singlespeed project.
I'm wanting to know if there will be a noticeable roughness(rideability) between it and my steel forked bike and my (2) carbon forked bikes.
I can't notice any more vibration on my steelie to my alloy framed bikes with carbon forks.
I have Vibewrap on all my 3 current use bikes and will put it on the 'new' bike too which should help.

So, tell me, should I sell the alloy fork before I fit it or will it be ok?

Paul :)

Carbon forks vary so much it's ridiculous. Generally, thin blades and carbon crowns make for a flexy/comfee fork, and vice versa: alu crowns (and steerers) with broad blades (both ways) can make for a stiff fork. Some of the stiffest forks I've owned had steel or alu steerers with broad carbon blades. In other words, as with frames, it's more about design than the material.

I have a couple of old alu forks with threaded, steel steerers, and they ride fine; somewhere in between flexy and stiff

Most steel forks I've had were springy and comfee.

If you really want a carbon fork, I suggest you just sell the alu one 'as new', but I can't say how the alu fork will ride, because it could well be great.

Bigbananabike said:
So, tell me, should I sell the alloy fork before I fit it or will it be ok?

Paul :)
If the steerer is 1 1/8'' and 200 cm or longer, let me know if you want to sell it.