fork mount or up

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob O'Keefe, May 22, 2003.

  1. Bob O'Keefe

    Bob O'Keefe Guest

    I am going to purchase a roof rack. I would like opinions on fork mounts or upright carriers.

    Thanks in advance, Bob

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Bob O'Keefe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to purchase a roof rack. I would like opinions on fork mounts
    or
    > upright carriers.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Bob

    Fork mount. My preference...more stable and secure, easier to get bike up.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Fork mount. My preference...more stable and secure, easier to get bike up.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Scott..

    Mine too. Some reasons as you plus I don't like the clamp on the down tube, not good for the paint
    on the bike.

    Both work though.

    jon isaacs

  4. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    Do you live with a car port or garage? I have seen too many bikes peeled off roofs. If I were you I
    would go with a receiver type rack. When you are tired etc. You may forget the bike above you.

    "Bob O'Keefe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to purchase a roof rack. I would like opinions on fork mounts
    or
    > upright carriers.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Bob

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Do you live with a car port or garage? I have seen too many bikes peeled off roofs. If I were you I
    >would go with a receiver type rack. When you are tired etc. You may forget the bike above you.

    Happens to be sure but one can also get rear ended.

    One potential problem with carrying bikes behind the vehicle is that they really eat the dust and
    mud. On top it is bugs only.

    The other thing of course is that car belong in the driveway, bikes belong in the garage.. <g>

    jon isaacs

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > >Do you live with a car port or garage? I have seen too many bikes peeled
    off
    > >roofs. If I were you I would go with a receiver type rack. When you are tired etc. You may forget
    > >the bike above you.

    > Happens to be sure but one can also get rear ended.
    >
    > One potential problem with carrying bikes behind the vehicle is that they really eat the dust and
    > mud. On top it is bugs only.
    >
    > The other thing of course is that car belong in the driveway, bikes belong
    in
    > the garage.. <g>
    >
    > jon isaacs

    I have used both and prefer the hitch rack behind the car. When I had the bikes on the roof, I was
    always worrying about clearance. I was afraid I would scrape the bikes off on viaducts, bridges, and
    even low hanging wires in small towns. Plus, it is more difficult to get the bikes up there when
    you're tired.

    Pat

  7. Bob O'Keefe wrote:

    > I am going to purchase a roof rack. I would like opinions on fork mounts or upright carriers.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Bob

    What kind of vehicle do you have? Can you put the bikes inside?

    (Me? I've got a Subaru stationwagon -- take off front wheel*, fold down rear seat, stick bike in,
    cover with blanket**, & go)

    Phil

    * - take off pedals if feeling picky ** - security: keep prying eyes off desirable stuff in car

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Bob O'Keefe wrote:
    >
    >> I am going to purchase a roof rack. I would like opinions on fork mounts or upright carriers.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance, Bob
    >
    >What kind of vehicle do you have? Can you put the bikes inside?
    >
    >(Me? I've got a Subaru stationwagon -- take off front wheel*, fold down rear seat, stick bike in,
    >cover with blanket**, & go)

    I have a Subaru station wagon and have carried a lot of bikes in it for the last 6 years. The
    result is a lot of grease on the carpet, chainring marks, scuffs to the plastic bits in the back of
    the car, &c.

    Also it's a pain when you need to put 3 bikes in it.

    Just got a roof rack. :)

    --Paul