fork or Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by bikefreak101, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bikefreak101

bikefreak101 New Member

I recently got a used MARIN Bear Valley that is a few years old and I am wondering what to upgrade it with first. I will upgrade either the fork or give it disc brakes this winter. The fork is a Manitou Magnum that is ready to bottem out on me. and I have Ovation Rim brakes.

Tags:

2. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

I would say go with the fork. If its really messed up a new fork will have far more immediate improvement in the ride quality of the bike. That way if you later decide to go to discs you can choose the proper mounting system depending on whether you get a Manitou or an International mount standard type fork.

3. WithDrew

WithDrew New Member

without a doubt a fork.

4. cachehiker

cachehiker New Member

I agree with the above posts.

If the magnum is really on its last leg, go for a solid fork in the $150-$200 range. Then use the difference on some Avid Single Digit 7's instead of upgrading to a really spendy fork. I haven't heard good things about the Ovations.

Since I live in the desert, I prefer good rim brakes. I'd rather have the weight savings than the wet weather performance. Of course it's getting tougher and tougher to find good wheels as a rim brake man in a disc brake world. ;)

5. fasterTHANyou

fasterTHANyou New Member

you're gonna notice a difference in the fork first, but after that- definitely give discs a shot. i was in love with my xt v-brakes till my first set of magura julies- and the technology has only gotten better