fork problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Smiley, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > Andy: Since the fork was purchased from Nashbar, it's

    unlikely that the shop
    > mechanic "admitted" (as in takes blame for) installing a fork with a
    > different rake since he didn't apparently buy the fork from the place that
    > installed it. Part of this story involves the pitfalls of not doing
    > everything in one place at one time, since finger-pointing can drag out
    > solutions.

    I'm sorry , I missed the Nashbar part. Yes I agree that
    ideally one person doing the whole job would be better.
    Hopefully someone who could both match the fork and adjust
    the headset ( Or not flip a part over in that headset?)

    At any rate there's probably more to this than the headset.
    I guess we'll have to wait for the diagnosis at Harris.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Thanks for all your help. First of all, the bike is a 1999 KHS Aero
    > Comp. It had a generic carbon fork, and unfortunately I scrapped it
    > when I replaced it so I'll never get the measurements. As I mentioned I
    > replaced it with an Easton EC30 carbon fork. I did loosen the headset a
    > bit, and it moves freely, but when I ride it it feels like the wheel is
    > stuck in some kind of groove in the road (although not as extreme). I
    > thought that maybe my tire might be too grippy, but when I swapped the
    > wheel with one from another road bike I got the same symptoms. It's
    > driving me crazy- I used to like my bike, but now I feel uncomfortable
    > with it. I guess the next step is to have someone actually look at it.
    > Here's what I'm going to do: Since I live in the Boston area, I'm going
    > to take it to Sheldon. (But not today - it's snowing like crazy.)

    It may be that the bearing cage is installed upside-down. This can cause
    the fork to swing freely until you load it with body weight at which
    time it starts binding.

  3. Ron Ruff

    Ron Ruff Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > I was thinking of that - maybe the crown race was improperly installed,
    > or something. But that's what it feels like - a gyroscopic feel- left
    > for 2 seconds, then right for 2 seconds or so, back and forth. It's
    > rideable, but it's not pleasant.

    A crooked race(s) seems most likely to me. Can you adjust the headset
    so that it swings freely without binding, yet has no play when the
    front brake is applied and the bike rocked fore and aft, or when
    bouncing the front wheel on the ground?

    A change in the axle/crown length would modify the handling a little
    bit, but there isn't a huge variation between forks... not enough to
    cause what you are describing, IMO.

  4. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Fork problem has been resolved- I brought it to Harris Cyclery. The new fork
    was OK - no rake problems - but they installed a new headset (properly, I
    might add) and the bike now runs like the precision instrument it was
    intended to be. Didn't cost much, either. Thanks everybody.

    news:[email protected]