Fork rake, someone tell me what to

soonercyclist93

Dec 27, 2003
consider when choosing a fork. Why does the rake matter?
I have a Litespeed Classic.
I ride recreationally but "competitively" with the local bike shop.
I like to do a lot of 20-100 mile rides.
I spend most of my time with my hands on the hoods.
Any ideas?
Does it really make a difference?

Originally posted by soonercyclist93
Any ideas?
Changing the rake from what was speced,changes the trail,which changes the handling.Check Sheldon Browns glossary of bike terms at www.harriscyclery.com

Originally posted by soonercyclist93
Any ideas?

More specifically its the match of the fork rake and head tube angle that determines the overall handling of your ride. I wouldn't alter from what your frame is usually built up with. If you don't know, go check some websites or call a bike shop or manufacturer/rep.

Originally posted by davidbod
More specifically its the match of the fork rake and head tube angle that determines the overall handling of your ride. I wouldn't alter from what your frame is usually built up with. If you don't know, go check some websites or call a bike shop or manufacturer/rep.
Rake, headtube angle, and other variables are all part of what defines trail. In his case, headtube angel on a specific frame is unvariable, and a given. He was asking about effect of changing rake.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Rake, headtube angle, and other variables are all part of what defines trail. In his case, headtube angel on a specific frame is unvariable, and a given. He was asking about effect of changing rake.

Thanks, I guess I'll check with Litespeed.

When you ride a frame and fork that were designed together, it's unlike any other ride. The Merckx Majestic is designed and sold with the Ouzo Pro fork, 43 deg. rake. The handling is unreal. On other bikes, going into a fast corner, I've had to anticipate more and make a pronounced CG shift. On the Merckx, the bike seems to know how far lean, and can do so much closer to the apex. Sort of uncanny.