Fork Rebuild...Bored As Hell

TBF::.

Guest
Well, the snow is friggin piling up nicely. The kids took of boarding, and
Mary went off to browse her two favorite stores Ikea and Sam's Club. So I'm
left to my own devices all day. Watched a few videos, thought about going
indoor climbing or at the very least down to the gym. Opted to clean the
bike, which still had mud from the Summer clinging to it.

The wife came home just in time to see me finishing and asked when I would
get around to cleaning and servicing her bike. I felt guilty considering
that she had just bought me that sweet Fox RLT... so I decided to fix her
ride up.

As I got it out I noticed that the fork was a little lopsided. Upon closer
inspection, it seemed as though one side was stuck about a CM lower than the
other.

I downloaded the manual for it, didn't even think I would be able to find
one. It's circa 2000 RST 281 R something or the other.

Got out the tools, took the thing apart and started laughing so hard Mary
came running into the room to see if I was watching a porno or something on
the PC.

The fork was so simple...I could hardly believe it!

http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=32

This is all there is, no oil, nothing, just a few springs, dirty grease, and
rusty screws!

http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=33

So I read the manual, slapped some grease in the ports and scraper as
directed, and put it all back together.

http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=34

http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=35

I'm still laughing at how simple this fork is....think it's time to buy her
a new one!

> I'm still laughing at how simple this fork is....
>think it's time to buy her a new one!

If it's that simple to service, and she has no compliants about it,
then why would you want to change a thing?

--

J "home again" G

"J G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> I'm still laughing at how simple this fork is....
>>think it's time to buy her a new one!

> If it's that simple to service, and she has no compliants about it,
> then why would you want to change a thing?
>

> --
>
> J "home again" G

No rebound, etc, etc, that's why.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:37:13 -0500, TBF::. <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, the snow is friggin piling up nicely. The kids took of boarding,
> and
> Mary went off to browse her two favorite stores Ikea and Sam's Club. So
> I'm
> left to my own devices all day. Watched a few videos, thought about going
> indoor climbing or at the very least down to the gym. Opted to clean the
> bike, which still had mud from the Summer clinging to it.
>
> The wife came home just in time to see me finishing and asked when I
> would
> get around to cleaning and servicing her bike. I felt guilty considering
> that she had just bought me that sweet Fox RLT... so I decided to fix her
> ride up.
>
> As I got it out I noticed that the fork was a little lopsided. Upon
> closer
> inspection, it seemed as though one side was stuck about a CM lower than
> the
> other.
>
> I downloaded the manual for it, didn't even think I would be able to find
> one. It's circa 2000 RST 281 R something or the other.
>
> Got out the tools, took the thing apart and started laughing so hard Mary
> came running into the room to see if I was watching a porno or something
> on
> the PC.
>
> The fork was so simple...I could hardly believe it!
>
> http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=32
>
> This is all there is, no oil, nothing, just a few springs, dirty grease,
> and
> rusty screws!
>
> http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=33
>
> So I read the manual, slapped some grease in the ports and scraper as
> directed, and put it all back together.
>
> http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=34
>

> http://groups.msn.com/DirtyWheels/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=35
>

> I'm still laughing at how simple this fork is....think it's time to buy
> her
> a new one!

I think I'd rather stick my finger up my butt, then be forced to be that
thing.

--
Slacker

If you live in a cold winters climate, a simple spring/elastomer fork is
great for that time of year. Use light lube and save the fancy stuff for
operating temps within their real tolerances...

news:[email protected]...