Fork removal

stumpy

Apr 16, 2003
I hate to ask an ignorant question, but I was feeling ignorant last night as I pounded the top of my fork with a rubber mallet!!

I am trying to overhaul the headset (Aheadset) on one of my bikes I seldom ride (has about 2,500 miles on it total and has never been overhauled). It is a Marzocchi Bomber LT fork. I removed the top hex nut and the all couplings and half expected the fork to drop out, but to my surprise it did not.

While being nice to this newbie and not calling me a tool, what "tool" do I need to use to get this off?

Clueless in Michigan,

Stumpy

Don't worry, you're no tool. I've done about a half-dozen of these and sometimes they come out real easy and sometimes they hang on for grim death.

Last one I did was in the latter catergory. Eventually I lost patience with it and against my better judgement banged it on the head with a mallet. That did the trick nicely.

There's a washer in the steerer tube that is wedge-shaped. It pinches closed when you tighten the top nut on the steerer tube and wedges itself in there. This fella is the cause of your current problem. I consulted a book before using the mallet and it seemed to think a light tap should do the trick. It didn't. My advice is use brute force and ignorance. It worked for me.

James.

Please don't be so mean to your fork steerer!!! It is SO freakin easy to just take a small (tiny) screwdriver and pop up the edge of the wedged shape washer!!!! It is 'split', so you can simply pry one side of it up along the steer tube and be careful not to let your fork drop out, as as soon as you pull the washer out the fork is free! But don't beat it up with a mallet....

I agree with glenzx. Only use force as a last resort. When you remove this washer it will free the forks. But if it doesn't work you could always put a piece of wood (2X4) on the top of the steerer tube and then hit it with a hammer and it will pop right out. But only do this as a last resort. Usually they will fall right out when you remove the washer.

Originally posted by ProZac
I agree with glenzx. Only use force as a last resort. When you remove this washer it will free the forks. ..... Usually they will fall right out when you remove the washer.

ProZac/glenzx

thanks a lot. Saved my life. Was getting really confused until I read your postings. Amazing that tiny little bit of black plastic holds the forks in so tight.

Like stumpy, last time I messed with forks, they virtually fell out once I had the hex bolt undone.

Ta.