Fork spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alex Graham, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    I have an old Raleigh hybrid with odd wheels. The rear wheel is correctly spaced, but the front hub
    over locknut distance is quite a bit smaller than the fork spacing, so the forks get squeezed
    together when the axle nuts are tightened.

    Should I leave the forks as they are or pack the axle out with some narrow spacers, or squash the
    forks further to set them at a narrower spacing?

    Thanks for any help,
    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old Raleigh hybrid with odd wheels. The rear wheel is correctly spaced, but the front
    > hub over locknut distance is quite a bit smaller than the fork spacing, so the forks get squeezed
    > together when the axle nuts are tightened.
    >
    > Should I leave the forks as they are or pack the axle out with some narrow spacers, or squash the
    > forks further to set them at a narrower spacing?

    Measure them and make whichever one isn't 100mm 100mm..