Fork steerer tube sizing issues

lava

Feb 16, 2005
So, I'm selling an old fork. The steerer tube is 27mm in diameter by my measurement and by the sticker on the tube. This not 1" nor is it 1-1/8". It's more like 1-1/16". So people are responding to my classified ad by asking if it's 1" or 1-1/8". What the heck do I tell them? Is this a case similar to how "700c" wheels aren't exactly 700c? I get the feeling it's 1-1/8" but I have no evidence to back this up. Any help is appreciated.

That's a peculiar size. Standard sizes I know of are 25.4mm (1"), 28.6mm (1-1/2") and 31.8mm (1-1/4").

Weird, I would think Trek would be very standardized. All the literature on the net about my bike states a 1-1/8" steerer tube, and I replaced this fork with an Easton EC90 SL with no problem (although I do not remember what the diameter of that fork is, and I'm not going to take it off to check).

Perhaps the inside diameter of the head tube is where the 1-1/8" measurement is made, and not the outside diameter of the steerer?

I think you will find the "27mm" is the Crown Ring Mounting Diameter. If so, it will be a 1" fork. Check the top ID near the thread, is it 22.2 or 21.1mm or 25.4mm?

gclark8 said:
I think you will find the "27mm" is the Crown Ring Mounting Diameter. If so, it will be a 1" fork. Check the top ID near the thread, is it 22.2 or 21.1mm or 25.4mm?
Its OD not ID.

So, I went into my LBS and compared the fork to a few other forks. Guess what? It's a 1-1/8" fork. And a couple of the other 1-1/8" forks also measured 27-28mm just like mine. So there you go.