Fork upgrade or new bike?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Allen And Sharo, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a 98 Raleigh M-400 with a Rock Shox Indy C on the front. It's time for a new fork but,
    after checking on some of the prices I'm wondering if it's time to move up to a full suspension
    bike. First off, if you could give me some ideas and prices for a fork upgrade that would be
    cool. I ride mostly in Pa. and W.Va. I don't ride too crazy anymore but I do beat the bike
    pretty hard. I don't need a top of the line fork but something better than a Indy C is a must.
    I'd like to keep it within $200.00 or so. Next, if the fork upgrade isn't a good idea, what's a
    good entry leve full suspension bike? I've considered the Diamondack Coil SS, the Giant Warp DS3
    and the Fuji Discovery series. Are there any others, for around $500.00 that I might consider?

    Thanks, Al

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Allen and Sharon Nichols wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 98 Raleigh M-400 with a Rock Shox Indy C on the front. It's time for a new fork but,
    > after checking on some of the prices I'm wondering if it's time to move up to a full
    > suspension bike. First off, if you could give me some ideas and prices for a fork upgrade that
    > would be cool. I ride mostly in Pa. and W.Va. I don't ride too crazy anymore but I do beat the
    > bike pretty hard. I don't need a top of the line fork but something better than a Indy C is a
    > must. I'd like to keep it within $200.00 or so. Next, if the fork upgrade isn't a good idea,
    > what's a good entry leve full suspension bike? I've considered the Diamondack Coil SS, the
    > Giant Warp DS3 and the Fuji Discovery series. Are there any others, for around $500.00 that I
    > might consider?
    >
    > Thanks, Al

    what would be your budget for so-called entry level FS bike?

    penny

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    >> Next, if the fork upgrade isn't a good idea, what's a good entry leve full suspension bike?
    >> I've considered the Diamondack Coil SS, the Giant Warp DS3 and the Fuji Discovery series. Are
    >> there any others, for around $500.00 that I might consider?
    >>

    > what would be your budget for so-called entry level FS bike?

    Think you eye-sight's going Penny :^)

    Take a look at his / her final line - the one you wrote just below.

    To the OP - don't buy a FS for $500, it just isn't worth it. Get yourself a decent HT, or if you're
    happy with your current bike, just upgrade the fork to a low level Marzocchi.

  4. Allen and Sharon Nichols wrote:
    > but I do beat the bike pretty hard. I don't need a top of the line fork but something better than
    > a Indy C is a must. I'd like to keep it within $200.00 or so.

    Check out the offerings at jensonusa.com they often have good blow out prices on forks. (fx. they
    have a Shiver for $850 - that's not for you but just an example)

    > Next, if the fork upgrade isn't a good idea, what's a good entry leve full suspension bike?
    > I've considered the Diamondack Coil SS, the Giant Warp DS3 and the Fuji Discovery series. Are
    > there any others, for around $500.00 that I might consider?

    No, at $500 you should look on ebay for a used one instead. A new decent FS doesn't come much
    under $1000.

    Regardless what you do check it out on www.mtbr.com before buying.

    Kind regards

    Bruno