Forks centre themselves! Is this normal?

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
Bit of an odd one this, it could be something completely normal but I'm the type who needs to find out or it will bother me all weekend!

If I lift my bike (a Trek hybrid) up off the ground and very gently move the handlebars from left to right, as it passes through centre then it stops and I have to push it again to continue it moving to the other extreme. It's as though it has some sort of resistance so that the forks centre themselves. The pressure needed to move them again is very light, and if I push the bars a little harder then it swings right through. I don't feel any resistance when riding it.

I'm just curious as an identical bike (a much smaller frame size though) doesn't have this.

Is this normal?

Originally posted by John Picton
Bit of an odd one this, it could be something completely normal but I'm the type who needs to find out or it will bother me all weekend!

If I lift my bike (a Trek hybrid) up off the ground and very gently move the handlebars from left to right, as it passes through centre then it stops and I have to push it again to continue it moving to the other extreme. It's as though it has some sort of resistance so that the forks centre themselves. The pressure needed to move them again is very light, and if I push the bars a little harder then it swings right through. I don't feel any resistance when riding it.

I'm just curious as an identical bike (a much smaller frame size though) doesn't have this.

Is this normal?

Totally normal. When a headset is adjusted properly there should be no resistance moving the bars and no play when grabbing the front brake and trying to move the bike forward. The reason why it tries to self center is due to the cables. They run from the handel bar to the frame and will find a nutural position. Relax, enjoy your weekend, and sleep well.

Originally posted by KGnagey
Totally normal. When a headset is adjusted properly there should be no resistance moving the bars and no play when grabbing the front brake and trying to move the bike forward. The reason why it tries to self center is due to the cables. They run from the handel bar to the frame and will find a nutural position.
So why does not his other one do it??

Yes, it is strange. It's like a natural "notch" in the centre where the forks like to be! It's hard to describe, but it feels as though when it gets to the straight ahead position it reaches that point and sets there, straight forward.

I can only assume that it's supposed to happen as it sets in this position at zero degrees either side from forwards, but it's not like it just settles there eventually, it's more like it gently springs there with a "boing", like it's supposed to happen and it wants to reach this equilibrium position.

As I said, it doesn't affect the ride at all, the bike still feels perfectly safe, but the other bike doesn't do it, which is why I've posted the topic!

Over-tightening the headset can lead to this self-centre action. Is the headset running smoothly?

It seems to be, but maybe it does feel a little tight. If it is overtightening is it dangerous or a problem?

Originally posted by John Picton
It seems to be, but maybe it does feel a little tight. If it is overtightening is it dangerous or a problem?

Sounds like overtightening as Guy stated. Frequently encountered this with loose bearing threaded headsets in the past (e.g. old Tange). When it happened it usually seemed to get progrssively worse. While loosening it would alleviate the problem, I would usually just go ahead and rebuild (or at least clean and regrease the bearings) while I was at it.

You can probably damage the headset if it is too tight; but I would be more concerend about the car that pulls out in front of you an a descent and you suddenly find that straight is the only direction that you can go.:eek:

It's a bit annoying as I've only had it a couple of months. I'll probably take it to my local dealer who I trust and ask him to have a look at it and check it's been set up properly.

Thanks for your advice.

By the way, as a novice at cycle maintenance, how would I safely loosen the headset? I don't mind doing it myself but would worry that it was too loose / tight etc.

Sounds like an "indexed" headset. The races may have become pitted from riding with an over-tightened headset. If the ball bearings are in a retaining ring, rebuilding with loose balls will improve this but may not eliminate it completely.

Originally posted by Gonzo Bob
Sounds like an "indexed" headset. The races may have become pitted from riding with an over-tightened headset. If the ball bearings are in a retaining ring, rebuilding with loose balls will improve this but may not eliminate it completely.

I've done some research on the web and it sounds like it is indeed an "indexed" or "pitted" headset. Am I right in thinking that this only occurs if the headset has been overtightened? Should I therefore loosen it a little before I ride it again?

I also read that there is no real fix for this apart from replacing the headset. Is this correct?

I got the bike from a store I normally don't use who set it up for me (it was through my insurance company). Would I be right in thinking that they are to blame for this by overtightening, or is it something that could happen through use, for example by hitting a pothole or similar? I've had the bike for less than two months and done around 800km on it. The pitting effect is un-noticable through normal use, it is only evident when the wheel is turned while raised off the ground.

Any opinions would be appreciated, I can't get it booked in the shop until Thursday so thought I'd do a bit of background reading on it.

Sorry have checked the site recently.

John - from the initial post it sounded like there was no resitance to the bars setteling in the center, but if they do "spring" or rock back into center position, then as someone mentioned, the headset was overtightend and the bearings, cups or races have been notched (caused by the compresion of the bearings). Simply replacing the bearings may not be the complete answer. The headset should by completey inspected. My guess is it will need to be replaced. If you are only a novice and do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, you should take it to a well trusted shop. Headsets cam be tricky to adjust especially if the are the threaded version. Threadless are usually less complicated to adjust. If you don't now which you have then take it to a shop.

Definitely sounds like an indexed headset, and replacing it is the only real solution. You can try greasing and adjusting it but once those balls have made dents in the race they will just find their way back to the original position.
And it should be a warranty item, no way it should be like that after 800 km. I just had to replace the headset on one of my bikes as it was indexed, after 12 years and many many thousands of km.

Back to the shop then! I really don't want to take it back to the shop who supplied me with it (my insurance company used them). Will I be able to take it to any Trek dealer and claim on the warranty, or will it have to go to the original supplier? There's a shop nearby who have always done my repairs who are qualified and know their stuff, but I don't know how they would feel about me marching in asking for a new headset free!

Also, as the effect at the moment is unnoticable when riding, I guess I'll be OK on it for a few days. Would others draw that conclusion too or should I stay off it?

Just for everyones information, I contacted Trek through email at around 10.30pm last night, there was a reply in my inbox at 9.15 this morning. Pretty good I would say. Trek say that if the pitting is due to the overtightening of the headset then they will replace the headset as part of the warranty. Any Trek dealer will do the work for me.

I've heard that Trek's customer service was pretty good. So far I'm quite impressed!

Please be sure to post the outcome and shop comments on this for those of us out here lurking & learning. Thanks.

I will, I'll ask them to keep the old bearings and I'll throw a photo online if I get the chance.

Got the bike in the shop, and yes it turns out it was a damaged headset caused by overtightening. Will pick it up later today (hopefully!) and post back with what the mechanics say.