forks with lockout

billybob1992002

Jan 19, 2005
i have a Axel elite with lockout but i can bottom it out going down a curb (i weigh 180) i was looking at like a fox or the new duke. but is there that big of a advantage of lockout i have never used mine now.

I only know 1 rider who uses his lockout regularly, and his time is spent mainly on the road, not off road. Everyone else I know just doesn't bother with it. I know some may say they use it, or it's important when u race. But if you ain't usin it know, its unlikely you will in the future

Cheers
Steve

billybob1992002 said:
i have a Axel elite with lockout but i can bottom it out going down a curb (i weigh 180) i was looking at like a fox or the new duke. but is there that big of a advantage of lockout i have never used mine now.
I have an Axel Elite on one bike that had a soft spring, I weigh 150 but like a stiff ride. i purchased a stiff spring and didin't notice much difference, went back to the bike shop and got an extra stiff spring for a manitou black, that baby is stiff! only $20.00. just a quick fix till we get our new forks!

i don't want a supper stiff ride but i also don't want to bottom it out all the time. i mean i don't do huge 5 foot drops but there are some drops with the biggest prolly 3 feet and just going down trails it bottoms out. i will look into the spring change

billybob1992002 said:
i don't want a supper stiff ride but i also don't want to bottom it out all the time. i mean i don't do huge 5 foot drops but there are some drops with the biggest prolly 3 feet and just going down trails it bottoms out. i will look into the spring change
Also changing the oil in the fork from 5 weight to 10 or 15 can make a noticeable difference. doing this yourself voids the warranty though so you might ask your LBS about it. these are just quick fixes that don't cost much, I'm in no way trying to imply that a spring and oil change can turn our manitou's into a Fox Vanilla! BUT these changes can make it more rideable until we get the scratch for that new fork.

I ride a Fox 80RLT w/ Lockout. The lockout is the greastest thing I have added to my bike. I lock my fork out on all climbs and it helps alot. I ride a singlespeed so on climbs I am out of the saddle alot. It takes away all the "bob" of the fork and lets me hammer away. If you run the right amount of air in the fork you will not bottom out either, body weight is 195lbs. and I run 100psi in the fork.

could you tell me where i can buy a lockout for a fox fork on internet?

Thanks

My Marzocchi has ETA, what it does is that keeps the fork travel at around 2-3 cm instead of the 10 or 11 it goes when deactivated. BTW it feels very stiff and on climbs or smooth roads it is useful. I'm around 200 and according to the manual I should run on 50lbs.